How traumatic is the switch to a Mac? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape
Maine
Oh! Oh!! I want to chime in!! I got a Mac back in the late '80's in college. It was the Macintosh SE. Had a 20 MB hard drive and 2 MB of RAM. Man, was that more than I ever needed. How on earth could I ever fill up 20 MB? Over the years, I have had the orginal iMac, (the graphite "bubble") and then within the past couple of years a MacBook Pro. During that same time, due to work, I had to work on Windows-based computers. Started with DOS, then Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP and Vista.

This I will say; love the Mac for a lot of reasons, but if you get a Vista machine, and you don't have to upgrade hardware, Vista really is pretty painless. The trouble comes in when you have to update drivers, hardware or software. If you don't need to do that, its really not too bad.

But I will say, the Apple has so well thought out the process, it is easy to use and lean. And, there is OpenOffice (you can get it at java.com) which is a free MS Office replacement that will run on both the Mac or Windows. So you aren't confined to using Office.

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2008, 12:50 AM   #16

Trailer: 2003 Casita Liberty Deluxe
No Windoze in this house! I was quite surprised when I went to one of the freebie classes at the Apple store to learn more about Leopard when it was first introduced. Most everybody in the class were converts who had had enough with the conflicts, hardware upgrade costs and finally realized that Macs are not just for graphics. So far, they were loving the switch. I have the new iMac and new iBook. Neither one of them will ever have Windoze installed on them because there is not need. The applications in iWork opens Word, Excel and Power Point just fine. I use a PC at work and that's enough for me. I guess that I'm a diehard Mac user. I don't think that you'll have any regrets if you switch. The computers are amazing how they work right out of the box! The additional cost is well worth it. I've had Macs since the 80's. My next Apple purchase will probably be the iPhone later this month.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #17

Name: Domenica and Sheila
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Oregon
I too switched from pc to a Mac about a year ago. I did so because my partner had no experience with computers and I did not want to become the home helpdesk. Itís worked so far Ė I havenít had to reload, rebuild or even say the most common PC word Ė reboot. It felt like a cruel thought to introduce middle aged adult to a PC Ė and bottom line, Iíve have found Macís to be more gentle.

I was a bit skeptical and felt like a traitor; I worked my entire live with computers moving through mainframes, midranges, networks, pc and now I just have a mac book at home.

I have a straight up Mac book running ms office. I did buy the book Stitching to the Mac by David Pogue & Adam Goldstein, which helped at times, but truly speaking, I rarely need it. I use safari and use foxfire for Mac unfriendly web sites.

Enjoy whatever you buy. Domenica
Old 06-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #18

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Manitoba
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I read this post last night and decided I would plug in my original Mac Classic... that's the original all-in-one that came out in the beginning. this ones the last of the color ones with the 9" screen. a whopping 40 meg HD and a full 8 megs of ram (killer at the time). it booted up and ran system 9 perfectly. even nearing 20 years of age... the thing still has value. would be great for storing a database or recipes on. when you think about it... a lesser computer put men on the moon.

Quote:
Oh! Oh!! I want to chime in!! I got a Mac back in the late '80's in college. It was the Macintosh SE. Had a 20 MB hard drive and 2 MB of RAM. Man, was that more than I ever needed. How on earth could I ever fill up 20 MB? Over the years, I have had the orginal iMac, (the graphite "bubble") and then within the past couple of years a MacBook Pro. During that same time, due to work, I had to work on Windows-based computers. Started with DOS, then Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP and Vista.

This I will say; love the Mac for a lot of reasons, but if you get a Vista machine, and you don't have to upgrade hardware, Vista really is pretty painless. The trouble comes in when you have to update drivers, hardware or software. If you don't need to do that, its really not too bad.

But I will say, the Apple has so well thought out the process, it is easy to use and lean. And, there is OpenOffice (you can get it at java.com) which is a free MS Office replacement that will run on both the Mac or Windows. So you aren't confined to using Office.

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #19

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Still another reason to love Macs: iWork08. Which contains...PAGES, a word processor/page design program that rivals Word and the erstwhile Pagemaker; NUMBERS, a spreadsheet/database program that even opens Excel sheets (as PAGES opens Word); KEYNOTE, a super presentation program compatible with POWERPOINT. These are great programs.

And all for $68. What's not to like? If you're a Macster you can't afford to be without these.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #20

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
In the computer world, I spent my post-DOS days as a trained Microsoft geek. However, after being forced from operating system to operating system (who remembers NT?) with constant retraining and hardware upgrades, I look with envy at friends supporting Linux. I hate rebuilding virus damage after expensive anti-virus/spyware software has failed. The upcoming Microsoft "closure" of XP was the final straw. I am finally realizing that Bill was wrong!
And yet.... I have an opportunity to pick up an Apple laptop at a great price, and I can't get myself to pull the trigger. I know it's just another operating system, yet I panic when nothing works like Bill says it should. So tell me, computer-types out in their fibreglass trailers, is there life after Microsoft? How best to transition? Is it a good idea?
The Mac is on its way to being a PC. Apple marketing has done a good job of selling their OS but once the Mac went Intel the jig was up.
You can "get" Windows as an extra option now thus rendering the Mac a PC.
A year or two from now the OS of (marketing) choice will be Windows with (whatever apple OS) they offer as an option.
A few years after that Apple will offer only windows and it will be another PC but with brand name.
I expect Apple to Rival Dell soon. But not with Mac OS.
Jobs is a smart cookie.

Ron

PS I hate Vista and just bought a new laptop from dell with XP

Old 06-05-2008, 08:25 PM   #21

Name: Glen
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe modified 1969 25' Airstream Trade Wind
California
Hi ! I'm a MAC.
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 2003 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
The Mac is on its way to being a PC. Apple marketing has done a good job of selling their OS but once the Mac went Intel the jig was up.
You can "get" Windows as an extra option now thus rendering the Mac a PC.
A year or two from now the OS of (marketing) choice will be Windows with (whatever apple OS) they offer as an option.
A few years after that Apple will offer only windows and it will be another PC but with brand name.
I expect Apple to Rival Dell soon. But not with Mac OS.
Jobs is a smart cookie.

Ron

PS I hate Vista and just bought a new laptop from dell with XP

How could you say that? Apple computers may work with PC programs, but it will never be a PC!
Old 06-06-2008, 02:52 PM   #23

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
How could you say that? Apple computers may work with PC programs, but it will never be a PC!
Greeting from Spokane Chris.
It is not just that a MAC can [b]run PC programs. Its that a MAC can be booted into and Microsoft windows OS thus making it virtually no different than my Dell. I can also run Leopard on a PC if I wanted. When MAC dropped Motorola and went Intel it became a new world for them. I think its going to be fun.

Cheers

Ron
Old 06-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #24

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Sure seem to be a lot of folks having problems with Vista.
I've had zero issues with it the last year, even supporting it in a network business environment has been easier once Microsoft caught up with the issues after the release. Historically, techs never install any new operating system till it's been out for a year and then it is usually OK.
Don't know much about MACs but some friends like theirs. I like that new thin one, but I can buy three laptops for what they want for that one.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #25

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I'll chime in on the "I have no problems with Vista"

I had to pick up a new laptop, and coincidently, I went to buy it on the day that XP was officially no longer available on new comps... and Vista was made available to the general public

I have been running Vista since day 1, literally.. and have had.. zero issues with it.

I am not quite sure what folks are doing or what their complaints are.. but for me, it was a seamless transition.. I even go back and forth between XP and Vista several times a day.. I rarely have to think "Oh.. this is the Vista machine.. must do it *this* way.

Maybe it's like owning and driving two cars..
Old 06-06-2008, 08:43 PM   #26

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I'll chime in on the "I have no problems with Vista"
Me too. My ex, a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (who doesn't do dishes), explained it to me as "You don't upgrade to Vista," at least not now. From a fresh build it's stable. The problems arise with other software that chokes the OS. I've been given to understand that Vista was as big a leap as from DOS to Windows. Whether that's accurate

What I know about Macs you could put in your eye, blink and not feel it. But I do know that most of the Mac software is now coming from companies who main focus is on PCs. There is already software that's been sundowned for Macs, there again if that's planned obsolescence... not for me to determine. And, the theory Macs are immune to virus' is bunk. Maybe not to the extent hackers/crackers are going after PCs, but it's happening more and more on Macs and will continue to rise until y'all are in the same boat as us PC users. Count on it.

Love the one you're with!

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:19 PM   #27

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 17 ft.5 ft
And for me ,one the most important aspects of a mac ..no antivirus subscriptions.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:39 AM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Here's a free downloadable program with an appropriate name to remove a lot of that troublesome stuf from new Windoze computers:

http://pcdecrapifier.com/apps