How traumatic is the switch to a Mac? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
In the computer world, I spent my post-DOS days as a trained Microsoft geek. However, after being forced from operating system to operating system (who remembers NT?) with constant retraining and hardware upgrades, I look with envy at friends supporting Linux. I hate rebuilding virus damage after expensive anti-virus/spyware software has failed. The upcoming Microsoft "closure" of XP was the final straw. I am finally realizing that Bill was wrong!
And yet.... I have an opportunity to pick up an Apple laptop at a great price, and I can't get myself to pull the trigger. I know it's just another operating system, yet I panic when nothing works like Bill says it should. So tell me, computer-types out in their fibreglass trailers, is there life after Microsoft? How best to transition? Is it a good idea?
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I've always been Mac... you'll wonder why you didn't switch sooner. as a graphics guy, it was a no-brainer for me but I've seen many Vista users give up and come to the "dark side".
what else can I tell you.... 20+ years without a virus? OSX never needs to be defragged? Startup in less than 30 seconds? speaks english to ya? less programs but better productivity? MS Office for Mac is awesome? better resale value? all the commercials are true!

take the leap!
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #3

Registry
just a thought.... the Macbook pro will run both Microsloth and OSX at the same time.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe 2008
As they say, "Once you've had Mac you never go back." I switched over to Mac about five years ago and is and has been the best computer-related decision I've made. Plenty of software, too.

Michael J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When I got my first Macintosh in college, I brought it home, plugged it all in, ran a network to my housemate's Mac, all before the pizza we ordered arrived. My computer science roommate said "That's not a really computer if you don't have to constantly mess around with it." I think he was just sore because he spent about a week trying to get a sound card working on his Windows machine.

Given, compatibility issues like that don't happen as often anymore, I still think the Mac is much easier to use. I've used Macs for 18 years, and use a Windows machine at work. I feel that I expend less effort making the Mac do what I want it to do. It seems a lot more logical to me.

I also think Macs have a longer lifespan. My 2000 Mac G4 is running OSX with little difficulty. I think there are few eight year old machines that will run the current Microsoft OS with little hassle.

Todd
Todd Sleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
In our office we have Windows XP PC's, Macs and Linux (Ubuntu) machines. Vista is just awful and I would never recommend it to anyone. There are only two Windows users left in the office, myself and my boss and 1 Mac user doing our graphics work. The other 10 machines (including servers) all run Linux.

I personally do not like Macs as I find they are overpriced for what they really are. Our brand new Imac at the office has had several hardware issues right out of the box. On the other hand, Ubuntu Linux is excellent, runs on anything and is FAST. It combines the security and stability of Macs with the flexability and speed of a Windows machine. There are 2 pieces of software that I use that do not run natively on Ubuntu - once they do that's the direction I will be going.

Just my two cents...
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
I started out on a PC many years ago and still have an XP computer that I use with sewing programs. It is totally a no brainer for me. I would use Mac for everything if given the choice. Macs are incredibly user friendly and intuitive. You'll spend much less time taking care of problems. I would encourage to take the plunge. You won't regret it!
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Escape A 17 ft
I'm a certified Mac Fan, so I'll save my "Macs are Great!" speech for another time. Addressing the topic directly, however:

The actual switch from Mac to PC is relatively painless these days. OS X and Windows machines can be easily networked in order to transfer files across; conversely, a FAT-formatted external drive can be read and written to by both systems (note: NTFS can be read by OS X, but not written to). So, getting files across is a non-issue these days.

Using the Mac when one is used to Windows is a bit of an adjustment, but I'm willing to bet you'd be alright with it after about an hour or so. Ctrl-C becomes Command-C, there's a 'Dock' instead of a Start Menu, etc, etc. File compatibility is also no longer an issue, with the full MS Office suite available for OS X, and photo/video editing programs included in the OS.

This is a timely topic, as only last week I switched my mother-in-law over to an aluminum iMac from a Dell XP box. After copying over photos/docs using an external drive, I gave her about an hour's worth of training on the 'important' stuff to her (email/photos). Still waiting for the first help call from her...

There's a myriad of possible benefits for moving to OS X, just like there's hundreds of reasons to go Linux or stay with XP. I'm a Mac fan for now, for my purposes; I boot into XP only when required (particularly for CAD programs; I'm an engineer).

Finally, my most 'favourite-est' part of OS X: all 6 of the Macs spread out around my multi-generational family home are constantly backing themselves up, every hour, wirelessly, without any user interaction. That's peace of mind!

~Tim
Tim Ryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I use a Macbook. I run XP on the Windows side (My university gave me a Vista laptop that I use when I have to.). It is great. I teach a technology course and just switch between platforms. I keep both sides available when I teach using Parallels, so I can switch back and forth when I need to.

My preferred OS is the Macintosh platform.

CindyL

PS: I have to say that occasionally I run into situations where networks or websites are not Macintosh friendly, because the network administrator either does not care or does not know how to turn on the Macintosh capability. Then I use the Windows capability on my Mac. Same with software. When camping, I have software that lets my Internet-capable Treo cell phone interface with my laptop when there is no wi-fi (but there is a cell phone signal), allowing me to access the Internet on my laptop. The software is Windows-only. No problem with my Macbook; I just boot into Windows.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Keep in mind that the reason the Macs have been less virus-prone than the MS Dos-based machines is the numbers -- There are just so many more of Bill's OSs out there to infect. When enough folks switch to other OSs, like Mac-Unix or Ubuntu-Linux, the targeting may change.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:46 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Spent 30 years installing computers of all types (even before the IBM PC and it's clones).
After the IBM PC world, and MS DOS (then followed by Windows) came to be, I installed and worked on every brand imaginable. As you can guess, I spent years deeply embedded in the MS operating systems.

Spent the last eight years of my career as a Communications Network Engineer and Installation Project Manager. We used MS based computers to work our network of Cisco routers.

After retirement I thought I'd give Mac a try, ................. WOW!, .......... why didn't I do this sooner?

I still have a Windows XP desktop in my personal office, .... but compared to my MacBook, ....it's a rock, ....I hardly ever turn it on.

I'm a full fledged Apple convert, and won't even consider going back.

That's my story.................................
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
It appears that everybody that runs a current Mac with Intel processors also runs Windows on their Mac. They also seem to run MS Office under the Mac OS. I recently needed to go to Apple's help desk concerning an iPod. In MHO MS's online support is much easier to get around in.

However, those that have spent the extra $$ on Mac swear by them. (I suppose I would too I spent the extra.)

Byron
Old 06-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
I agree with Byron - you get what you pay for, in this case. With Mac you pay a little more but the payoff is miles ahead.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I made the "Switch" several years ago with the first Powerbook I got.
I was worried from what I had heard that I would not be able to do what I needed to or use the data I already had if I went to the Mac.

What a delight to learn that was not true.

I support both P.C.'s and Mac computers now and I have to use P.C.'s to program serial devices for my work.

There is an amazing Trauma as far as I have experienced with switching,Switching back!!!!
I have Windows(XP) running well on several machines and also use 98 all the time.
Windows is just a pain in the butt.

I am truly never excited when I can pick up the Mac again at the end of the day.

I will agree that Apple is a little full of themselves and the whole "Cult" thing and as Byron alluded to it can make certain self-help harder than it needs to be.
The attitude of superiority can be annoying when you need help and Apple acts like you are crazy for it.

What I Know now though is that the Mac community takes care of itself for the most part.
Since there is really only one set of hardware,it is rarely about the hardware.
I have several resources I use now when needed and rarely does it take more than 5 minutes to get a complete and proven response.

I use my MacBook Pro to run Windows XP and Mac OSX interchangebly and except for one major stupid oversight with a device driver,The hardware works great.
I can not use most serial devices designed for the P.C. on a Powerbook despite what Apple will claim.

I think it says something strange that the fastest computer yet to run Vista is a Mac?
Truth is stranger than fiction.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Oh! Oh!! I want to chime in!! I got a Mac back in the late '80's in college. It was the Macintosh SE. Had a 20 MB hard drive and 2 MB of RAM. Man, was that more than I ever needed. How on earth could I ever fill up 20 MB? Over the years, I have had the orginal iMac, (the graphite "bubble") and then within the past couple of years a MacBook Pro. During that same time, due to work, I had to work on Windows-based computers. Started with DOS, then Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP and Vista.

This I will say; love the Mac for a lot of reasons, but if you get a Vista machine, and you don't have to upgrade hardware, Vista really is pretty painless. The trouble comes in when you have to update drivers, hardware or software. If you don't need to do that, its really not too bad.

But I will say, the Apple has so well thought out the process, it is easy to use and lean. And, there is OpenOffice (you can get it at java.com) which is a free MS Office replacement that will run on both the Mac or Windows. So you aren't confined to using Office.

Good luck!
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:50 PM   #16

Trailer: 2003 Casita Liberty Deluxe
No Windoze in this house! I was quite surprised when I went to one of the freebie classes at the Apple store to learn more about Leopard when it was first introduced. Most everybody in the class were converts who had had enough with the conflicts, hardware upgrade costs and finally realized that Macs are not just for graphics. So far, they were loving the switch. I have the new iMac and new iBook. Neither one of them will ever have Windoze installed on them because there is not need. The applications in iWork opens Word, Excel and Power Point just fine. I use a PC at work and that's enough for me. I guess that I'm a diehard Mac user. I don't think that you'll have any regrets if you switch. The computers are amazing how they work right out of the box! The additional cost is well worth it. I've had Macs since the 80's. My next Apple purchase will probably be the iPhone later this month.
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #17

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
I too switched from pc to a Mac about a year ago. I did so because my partner had no experience with computers and I did not want to become the home helpdesk. It’s worked so far – I haven’t had to reload, rebuild or even say the most common PC word – reboot. It felt like a cruel thought to introduce middle aged adult to a PC – and bottom line, I’ve have found Mac’s to be more gentle.

I was a bit skeptical and felt like a traitor; I worked my entire live with computers moving through mainframes, midranges, networks, pc and now I just have a mac book at home.

I have a straight up Mac book running ms office. I did buy the book Stitching to the Mac by David Pogue & Adam Goldstein, which helped at times, but truly speaking, I rarely need it. I use safari and use foxfire for Mac unfriendly web sites.

Enjoy whatever you buy. Domenica
Old 06-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #18

Registry
I read this post last night and decided I would plug in my original Mac Classic... that's the original all-in-one that came out in the beginning. this ones the last of the color ones with the 9" screen. a whopping 40 meg HD and a full 8 megs of ram (killer at the time). it booted up and ran system 9 perfectly. even nearing 20 years of age... the thing still has value. would be great for storing a database or recipes on. when you think about it... a lesser computer put men on the moon.

Quote:
Oh! Oh!! I want to chime in!! I got a Mac back in the late '80's in college. It was the Macintosh SE. Had a 20 MB hard drive and 2 MB of RAM. Man, was that more than I ever needed. How on earth could I ever fill up 20 MB? Over the years, I have had the orginal iMac, (the graphite "bubble") and then within the past couple of years a MacBook Pro. During that same time, due to work, I had to work on Windows-based computers. Started with DOS, then Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP and Vista.

This I will say; love the Mac for a lot of reasons, but if you get a Vista machine, and you don't have to upgrade hardware, Vista really is pretty painless. The trouble comes in when you have to update drivers, hardware or software. If you don't need to do that, its really not too bad.

But I will say, the Apple has so well thought out the process, it is easy to use and lean. And, there is OpenOffice (you can get it at java.com) which is a free MS Office replacement that will run on both the Mac or Windows. So you aren't confined to using Office.

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #19

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Still another reason to love Macs: iWork08. Which contains...PAGES, a word processor/page design program that rivals Word and the erstwhile Pagemaker; NUMBERS, a spreadsheet/database program that even opens Excel sheets (as PAGES opens Word); KEYNOTE, a super presentation program compatible with POWERPOINT. These are great programs.

And all for $68. What's not to like? If you're a Macster you can't afford to be without these.

Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #20

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
In the computer world, I spent my post-DOS days as a trained Microsoft geek. However, after being forced from operating system to operating system (who remembers NT?) with constant retraining and hardware upgrades, I look with envy at friends supporting Linux. I hate rebuilding virus damage after expensive anti-virus/spyware software has failed. The upcoming Microsoft "closure" of XP was the final straw. I am finally realizing that Bill was wrong!
And yet.... I have an opportunity to pick up an Apple laptop at a great price, and I can't get myself to pull the trigger. I know it's just another operating system, yet I panic when nothing works like Bill says it should. So tell me, computer-types out in their fibreglass trailers, is there life after Microsoft? How best to transition? Is it a good idea?
The Mac is on its way to being a PC. Apple marketing has done a good job of selling their OS but once the Mac went Intel the jig was up.
You can "get" Windows as an extra option now thus rendering the Mac a PC.
A year or two from now the OS of (marketing) choice will be Windows with (whatever apple OS) they offer as an option.
A few years after that Apple will offer only windows and it will be another PC but with brand name.
I expect Apple to Rival Dell soon. But not with Mac OS.
Jobs is a smart cookie.

Ron

PS I hate Vista and just bought a new laptop from dell with XP

ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote