How will gas prices affect your camping? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #21

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
If all goes well I expect to put on more miles this year than last.....Vancouver B.C.......Macklin Sask. Bolerama.....possibly Grand Marais, Lake Superior......may have to rent/borrow a couple horses to pull the Boler, so can save on fuel, ........Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #22

Trailer: 85 13 ft Scamp
Well, the higher gas prices had us looking closely at budgets for our trips, and the ones we had planned, well, taking the Scamp was actually the cheapest and funnest option. Now that I got my notice and will be losing my job this summer, the high gas prices and no income has more or less grounded even short haul camping trips (unless we sell the house, then its all camping, boondock style).
Shawn Englehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I expect gas prices are NOT going to go down significantly and I DO like to hit the road. I'm "planning" a trip into Alaska this spring and summer and I expect to go regardless of the gas prices. Who knows, if I don't go this year gas may be so high next year I won't be able to make that trip. I really hate giving to the oil companies when they make such exorbitant profitsd....billionsd.
william russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:40 AM   #24

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Well, the higher gas prices had us looking closely at budgets for our trips, and the ones we had planned, well, taking the Scamp was actually the cheapest and funnest option. Now that I got my notice and will be losing my job this summer, the high gas prices and no income has more or less grounded even short haul camping trips (unless we sell the house, then its all camping, boondock style).
Hi: That is one of the toughest "roads to haul". Darn... those pesky notices can ruin everything!!! Hang in there... all is not lost!!! I was out sourced (nice word for FIRED) @ 45yrs. old and managed to find a new career so if I can do it ...You CAN TOO!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:04 AM   #25

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Got rid of the MH and got a Casita and Toyota truck. We are getting a lot better gas milage, lot better ride, and easier tow. I think for now we will go as planned. Just love this little trailer for the our bed and potty. Just traded for better gas milage so we can still keep going.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #26

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Our motto, and future tire cover design.
Attached Thumbnails
Truckin.jpg  
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #27

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
I plan to get extra traveling and camping in now while gas is still cheap.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:51 AM   #28

Trailer: 2000 Northern Lite (The TARDIS)
Most of the places we camp are within about a 5 hour radius, even so, we have more camping reservations this year than we've had in a long time. Since we just downsized from our 22 foot 5000 pound conventional trailer to our 1950 pound Northern Lite, I'm looking forward to a huge improvement in mileage. You could say that was a big reason for downsizing.
Wayne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:20 PM   #29

I just filled up with Deisel Fuel for trip next week. Its now $4.71/US Gallon. Thats $1.24/liter at my place.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #30

Trailer: Boler 1984
Sorry to hear that Ches. I thought your Prov 'govmint' subsidized you guys in Alberta?
$1.12.9 today here in Ont.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:14 PM   #31

Quote:
Sorry to hear that Ches. I thought your Prov 'govmint' subsidized you guys in Alberta?
$1.12.9 today here in Ont.
No subsidy here----We pay through the nose. Its mostly all exported out of Country.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #32

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Smile

Quote:
Will the rising gas situaton affect your camping? I myself am currently looking for a different tug. Not necessarly because of gas prices, mostly just for upgrade and comfort. But milage will certainly be a factor. How will other folks out here change your style. i.e. camp closer to home? Also what are your tug suggestions for a front bath S-13, (IMO must heavier than no bath)

i ain't goin' !
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #33

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I just wish I could go camping. The wifes schedule is killing me.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #34

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
This summer, we're going to keep pushing the long pedal on the right. We'll be waiting for a check in the middle of the trip so we can return home and some of our usual events will have to be skipped.

We also think the petroleum industry profits are obscene, particularly when some of those we are fighting are using it against us.

Unfortunately, we're not in a position, age wise, to postpone our journeys.

Bandon will have to be skipped, but not because of fuel, our niece is getting married in Southern Calif., that same weekend.

Living on a fixed income does leave something to be desired, but we continue to enjoy the Lord's blessings each day.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #35

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
High gas prices aren't going to stop my wife and I from traveling, but me getting laid off certainly will. All of our summer plans have been changed to "Looking for a job".

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #36

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
High gas prices will put a crimp in our campimg plans, that's a given. Trips to Bandon are out of the question, but we can still take advantage of the many great places that are closer to home. Fortunately, we are located fairly close to scenery such as is offered in southwest Colorado or New Mexico, even southern Arizona has much to offer. This year a jaunt to Wyoming and Yellowstone is in the works.

Maybe there will come a time when gas is so expensive we will have to abandon any ideas of using our Casita. Won't sell it though. It will probably not be a marketable commodity by then. Maybe will construct a museum to display it, show the younger generation what people used to do in a now defunct activity known as camping. Don
Donald Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #37

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
We will stay closer to home most of the year but are also planning a trip to Wyoming in Sept. A friend of mine told me we may as well plan on doing our usual travels because he does not expect that gas is going to get any cheaper. I suspect he is right. May as well bite the bullet and do what we want.
Dan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #38

Registry
Hi: Playing the gas game is like playing hockey... The object is to get the puck outa here at all cost!!! I just have to take another blood pressure pill and go fill up!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
High gas prices aren't going to stop my wife and I from traveling, but me getting laid off certainly will. All of our summer plans have been changed to "Looking for a job".

-- Dan Meyer
Hi: Dan... I was "Outsourced" nice term for "Fired" @ age 45. I feel your pain and know something will come up. It did for me...but a career change was in order!!! I will retire in 6 more years and then look forward to using our Boler a lot more. Regards
Old 03-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #40

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Will the rising gas situaton affect your camping? I myself am currently looking for a different tug. Not necessarily because of gas prices, mostly just for upgrade and comfort. But milage will certainly be a factor. How will other folks out here change your style. i.e. camp closer to home? Also what are your tug suggestions for a front bath S-13, (IMO must heavier than no bath)
I'll tell you this: I wont go to Alaska with my Casita this summer as I planned unless I get a 20mpg tow vehicle and I cant see that with anything other than a four cylinder.... toyota? ranger?

As far as camping around here it is going to be tough on city folk. More tough on them than me.

I wont go as far now. I will spend more time in the Henry Mountains and the Aquarius Plateau and out on the kaibab. I think there will be fewer and fewer people driving in from LA and Phoenix and the like because they, like me, will stay closer to home. This means more available camp sites around here I guess.

Ron

ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote