how will I start a fire? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-25-2008, 07:01 AM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
I've got two basic approaches based on circumstances. I've had to change what I do in the last few years because of the Emerald Ash Borer problem around here (we can no longer pack in wood of any kind). You're forced to buy wood from the camp stores - and that all comes as big logs. No kindling...

Anyway, Method one:
Homemade firestarters - These are handy even WITH kindling! Anyway, take some cardboard egg cartons (plastic would work, just stink), and stuff them full of dryer lint. Compact it in and fill each egg slot as full as you can get it. Next, melt some paraffin wax (canning isle of the grocery store) and pour it into the wells so it impregnates the lint. When it all cools down, break the carton up into blocks. They light very easily and will burn fairly hot and long. I've used them with good success to directly get the big logs from the store going.

Method two:
Cheater juice - We also bring a charcoal grill when we're camping (Use it mostly for steaks, but it's also good back-up if something's wrong with the fire). Anyway - lighter fluid works on wood as well as charcoal. I just give the logs a VERY liberal dose and - FOOM!

Old 08-28-2008, 05:13 AM   #16

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
Quote:
1. Before starting any campfire, check to be sure that campfires are permitted at your campsite.
2. Where it's permitted, gather wood for your campfire. You want to collect everything from dry leaves and twigs, to small sticks and branches up to 2-4 inches in diameter.
3. If a fire ring is not already available, clear an area that's away from any trees or brush. A circle of rocks will help contain the campfire's ashes.
4. Place a small pile of dry leaves and twigs in the center of the fire ring.
5. Build a tepee of small sticks around these dry leaves and twigs.
6. Next, build a square wall of larger sticks around, and up to the height of, the tepee.
7. Place more sticks across the walls so as to cover the tepee.
8. Add another wall of larger branches, but do not cover the top.
9. Drop a match or two into the dry leaves and twigs until they catch fire.
10. As the fire begins to grow, add some larger branches across the top, being careful not to collapse the existing walls of the fire.
11. Continue to add larger branches and pieces of wood to keep the campfire going.

Here In New Hampshire where it has rained 99%of this summer, and working as a campground host I have lit many of fires.
Other campers come by and see my 3 foot blaze and will buy some of the wood we have for sale then, when I'm doing a walk-around I will see them sitting under a camopy sulking...some even come out to the road and complain that the wood is no good so I will spend 15 or 20 minutes with them and show them how to get a fire going.
In the square fire-pits I find the log cabin design works best as the wind comes in from the front.
2 logs faceing front to back
One thin stick across the front on top
Now the key...find some paper Birch and strip this down to thin layers on bottom. 8" by 8" should be enough use half.
Place small twigs down from front stick down over birch on an angle then another stick on back over back.
Place larger twigs inbetween front and back sticks then lay sticks again front to back over all as a roof but you gotta let the flames get out so do not make it too tight.
Now take other half of Birch bark and slide, do not peel then thin but strip then into 4" by 1/2" stips and hang them from the sticks down onto the ones on bottom.
Place bigger sticks on top.
Light the bottom paper thin pieces of Birch and you'll get a fire even in wet weather.
Gerry

Old 08-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #17

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Just rub a stick together.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #18

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Quote:
Cheater juice - We also bring a charcoal grill when we're camping (Use it mostly for steaks, but it's also good back-up if something's wrong with the fire). Anyway - lighter fluid works on wood as well as charcoal. I just give the logs a VERY liberal dose and - FOOM!
Mike. How fast can you run? Or are you the guy in camp with no eyebrows?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #19

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
If it doesn't have an "Insta-Start" button on it, I don't bring it... -
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #20

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
OK, this thread wasn't about making a fire... but...

If you use a charcoal BBQ, you can also use the coals to start your fire.

I toss a handful of the pre soaked ones in a small paper bag, stack my kindling and set the bag on fire... follow all other fire making rules after.

but... this thread isn't about how to make a fire...

BUT..

You could print this thread out and show it to your friends hubby and say "See? I have had fire making lessons from the Guys"

That should do it...
Old 08-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #21
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
I still think the most useful tip in this thread is that the s'mores can just be eaten raw.

Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:15 PM   #22

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Just rub [b]a stick together.
I suppose you know what is the sound of one hand clapping?
Old 08-28-2008, 10:21 PM   #23

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Unhappy

Brandy, more than likely, it was better that she did not go camping with you, campfire or not, as you wrote: "She was very excited but I know she has grand ideas with little follow thru (more of a 4 star hotel kinda gal)." Not many campfires in 4 star hotels. If we give the Devil a little slack, perhaps he used building a fire as a way to help you out of a not to cool of a camping experence. No! That would be too much slack. Too bad it did not fall together, the kids would have had fun, as would the two of you. Maybe, he just didn't like the idea of a "Girls Night Out"? Or he was afraid his kids would fall into the fire? Whatever, we all found out some different ways of fire starting. I like the dryer lint and egg carton and p wax the best. If that is too slow for you, soak the carton sections in gasoline before lighting it. No, don't do that. I was joking. I know, for a xmas present give the guy a carton of wax covered lint.

DesertHawk

I also liked the story/illustration of Walter, the Volvo and cheating husband. I may need to start reading the joke section sometimes.

Moral of the whole result of the thread, be careful of how we title our posts or read the whole post before we answer them.
Maybe both.

I have given it some thought, you can rub a stick together if you have a fairly long, flexible stick. However, I wouldn't expect getting a fire going with it. To damp if it is that flexible.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:59 PM   #24

Name: Brandy
I did snicker a few times as I read true how to advice on starting a fire...but I love that people actually responded. all you fiberglass loving folks can't resist a good lesson, and I for one have learned alot when I've learned to shut my yap. I did end up staying at a hotel with the gal last week and her youngest is three...I learned or was re-reminded that I don't miss having a three your old so for whatever the reason it was good that camping was not in the cards for us. Thanks for "listening"
Old 08-29-2008, 01:01 AM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0
Washington
Quote:
I suppose you know what is the sound of one hand clapping?
It's a very singular sound.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #26

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
Quote:
I did snicker a few times as I read true how to advice on starting a fire...but I love that people actually responded. all you fiberglass loving folks can't resist a good lesson, and I for one have learned alot when I've learned to shut my yap. I did end up staying at a hotel with the gal last week and her youngest is three...I learned or was re-reminded that I don't miss having a three your old so for whatever the reason it was good that camping was not in the cards for us. Thanks for "listening"
Who ever said we were obligated to stay on topic in these threads???

Drifting over into firestarting approaches wasn't all THAT off topic after all (I've seen worse).

Old 08-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #27

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Who ever said we were obligated to stay on topic in these threads???

Drifting over into firestarting approaches wasn't all THAT off topic after all (I've seen worse).
Just to stay off-topic, I recall, with great satisfaction, starting my fire, while my neighboring camper watched. It had rained hard and all wood was wet. He stood in his cloud of smoke either gaping in awe or cursing me, probably trying to get newspaper to ignite ( very high moisture content at any time ).

Meantime I had just arrived at my site and had a merry fire going five minutes later. My secret was a little dry kindling and 1/3 of a firelog to build core heat. I guess I should have offered him a piece.

baglo
Old 08-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #28

Name: Brandy
*tisk tisk tisk* FIRE LOG* shakes head......well I bet it was fun to secretly be some sort of miraculous fire god on a rainy night.mwhahahahaha the power of FIRE

Quote:
Just to stay off-topic, I recall, with great satisfaction, starting my fire, while my neighboring camper watched. It had rained hard and all wood was wet. He stood in his cloud of smoke either gaping in awe or cursing me, probably trying to get newspaper to ignite ( very high moisture content at any time ).

Meantime I had just arrived at my site and had a merry fire going five minutes later. My secret was a little dry kindling and 1/3 of a firelog to build core heat. I guess I should have offered him a piece.

baglo