How you stay connected on the road. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What is your primary way to stay connected to e-mail and Web on the road? Multiple OK
Smartphone 12 24.49%
Smartphone tethered with PC/Mac 2 4.08%
Wi-Fi hot spot, McDonald, Starbucks, campground, etc… 31 63.27%
Mobile Wi-Fi hot spot , Mi-Fi, USB, built in 3 or 4G 17 34.69%
Campground Dial-up or DSL 8 16.33%
Satellite 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #21

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt5937 View Post

I do not crack any encrypted connections, even though crackers are available. I only connect to open networks and there are many. Since I haven't really been on the road for many years, I haven't done it lately.
Not so true anymore, though it used to be. Now that many people are getting their modems from their ISP, most come encrypted. I used to be able to pick up seven or eight open Wifi networks from my sisters house, all are now encrypted. Same thing most of the time when I check with my laptop. I usrd to br sbor to pick up a couple at home. No more. Which is probably a good thing overall but not so good for those who like to pull up in an affluent neighborhood and use wifi! I use my iPad, anyway, now, AT&T unlimited.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:54 AM   #22

Trailer: Boler 1984
Vote
Not applicable.

We have found that we don't need to be online for the time we are away camping. After all it's all about "getting away".
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #23

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...I couldn't hack my way into trouble!!! Hot spots work for my wifes laptop. No cell or i anything as when we're away...what's the point. We usually don't want to be found. That plan may change when we're retired and on the road for longer periods.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #24

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Vote
Not applicable.

We have found that we don't need to be online for the time we are away camping. After all it's all about "getting away".
Some of us need to be connected even while pretending we are Disconnected.

I run my own business and it is a technology business.

Nothing is a better recommendation of my services to my clients than being able to provide support from the middle of nowhere.

Just one if the perks of that lifestyle.
Another favorite of mine is Sick Days.....thats where I work when I am sick because things still happen.

I think you get the idea.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Camping Internet

Vote
Not applicable.

If we were simply camping I would agree. Some of us are on the road for long periods, truly getting away while needing a method of interfacing with the world.

One aspect is that we are able to do all our banking, manage our snail mail in the relative privacy of our Scamp, order our medications on line, or help my niece with her homework over Skype.

Certainly we could seek out a Library or Starbucks and probably would if we were weekend or week travelers. There's something nice about reading the newspaper(s) on my computer while the bacon and eggs are cooking.

Simply I think access to the Internet makes life easier on the road and in some sense more possible, particularly for those who are gone for long terms or have business or home responsibilities.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #26

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Another vote for "Not applicable." My wife and I have traveled all over the world, often on extended trips, and only on special occasions have we felt a need to "stay connected" - a need met by a simple phone call.

People today "stay connected" with techno-toys (iPhones, iPads, Droids, etc.), electronic leashes that let others jerk them out of their travel experience. <_< On the road, our cell phone is always turned off, and only (and rarely) used for outgoing calls. For us, travel is still an adventure.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Sorry

Another vote for "Not applicable." My wife and I have traveled all over the world, often on extended trips, and only on special occasions have we felt a need to "stay connected" - a need met by a simple phone call.

People today "stay connected" with techno-toys (iPhones, iPads, Droids, etc.), electronic leashes that let others jerk them out of their travel experience. <_< On the road, our cell phone is always turned off, and only (and rarely) used for outgoing calls. For us, travel is still an adventure.

When you're gone for 7-11 months there are bills to pay, money to transfer, people to maintain contact with. I do not find that people 'jerk us out of our travel experience' but we do like sharing our travel experience with others on a regular basis.

We have been to every state and every province and have had marvelous experiences, not only with but in part because of our 'techno tools'.

This is our 11 year of travel adventure, a happy couple and their rig wandering North America.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #28

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Vote
Not applicable.

If we were simply camping I would agree. Some of us are on the road for long periods, truly getting away while needing a method of interfacing with the world.

One aspect is that we are able to do all our banking, manage our snail mail in the relative privacy of our Scamp, order our medications on line, or help my niece with her homework over Skype.

Certainly we could seek out a Library or Starbucks and probably would if we were weekend or week travelers. There's something nice about reading the newspaper(s) on my computer while the bacon and eggs are cooking.

Simply I think access to the Internet makes life easier on the road and in some sense more possible, particularly for those who are gone for long terms or have business or home responsibilities.
Although you did not say it explicitly, what you are describing is technology on YOUR terms. None of this has to be invasive if you simply manage it.

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #29

Arizona
There is another aspect to this.

I'm as sympathetic as anyone to the encroachment of technology. I never carry a cell with me when I'm hiking or packing in remote areas. I get chastised roundly for that. I haven't had TV service (willingly) for almost 30 years.

Like it or not though, technology IS jerking us around to some extent. that is the world we live in now. I was off the hook for 3 months this summer in a remote part of Wyoming. I drove down out of the mountains about once a month and I took my laptop along. On one occassion I opened my email to find that all hell had broken loose . Some guy had paypaled me money for something he had seen on a website that had closed years ago! When I didn't respond, he reported me to paypal, and they ended up putting a black mark on my record over it. I closed my paypal account after that, but the point is, you are foolish if you think you can dabble in this stuff and then just walk away for any length of time.

Norm, I'm sending you a PM.............just to jerk you around

David
Old 11-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #30

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Vote
Not applicable.

Have to agree with this. I would not have been able to spend the entire summer exploring the Southwest without an internet connection to deal with bills, etc.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #31

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Arrow Try being a Moderator on this website while on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
There is another aspect to this.

...the point is, you are foolish if you think you can dabble in this stuff and then just walk away for any length of time.
I'm sure Norm can relate. Much of the time those of us working behind the scenes here cover for each other when one of us is traveling.
A weekend offline in our trailer (either alone or at one of the rallys) can be a refreshing break. This is a job, but don't get me wrong...
it is a labor that I love.

I do feel I have a responsibility to log on at least every 3 or 4 days when on the road.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #32

No we are not full timers, but I didn't realize that we are simply camping. We often spend several months at a time away from our permanent home, whether it be with the trailer traipsing around the country siteseeing or visiting friends and relatives who live many miles away, or spending time at a cottage overlooking Lake Erie.

After over 40 years in the communications industry...I just don't need it. I guess that just "simply camping" does have quite an appeal after all.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Vote
Not applicable.

I feel that I have been pre judged.
On line and off.

If it cannot be said here then it should not be said.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:26 AM   #34

Name: Jerry & Patty
Trailer: Casita SD 17
Texas
Quote:
For 3 or 4 years we have a Verizon 3G hotspot with unlimited data coverage. It costs us $60 a month. We use it for our Internet coverage at home and away. If it's setup in the house, we are still capable of picking up a signal in the trailer outside.

We typically use a bout 5 gigabytes a month. It is capable of supporting 5 computers or Wi-Fi devices at once.

We will be upgrading to Verizon 4G some time during 2012.

We use this device when we are on the road and home. We have no other Internet coverage.

Ditto!!! Love it!
Jerry-n-Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #35

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR
What is your primary way to stay connected to e-mail and Web while on the road?
FYI...Notdstrom now has free WiFi in many stores.

Being single, I like staying connected. I have a couple of older friends to check up on daily. It's good to enjoy visiting new places, then to be able to send photos from the beach or other locations immediately or to post then on Facebook for friend to enjoy. If I had family, it might be different. But my friends are my family. I like staying connected with them on the road.

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:58 PM   #36

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Our son gave a cell phone to his mother, it is usually turned off. I don't have one. We don't have a laptop.

We have always said when we are on the road the world is on hold, it will be there when we get back.

We only bring the TV about half the time. We prefer camping in NPs and NFs.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:18 AM   #37

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Sutton View Post
Our son gave a cell phone to his mother, it is usually turned off. I don't have one. We don't have a laptop.

We have always said when we are on the road the world is on hold, it will be there when we get back.

We only bring the TV about half the time. We prefer camping in NPs and NFs.

That works great for 2 to 3 weeks. We're on the road come January for 3 to 6 months. Financial matters still need to be attended too, even with automatic bill pay. I also keep a running blog of our travels. It can be up to 2 weeks between updates. I don't bother with the travel blog when we're only going to be out a month or less.
Cell phones become important when gone that long. It would have been difficult to know of a USPS screw up with out it.
GPS is a great thing when trying to navigate around a strange town, but one has to be a bit careful.
And a TV never goes with us.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #38

Name: Julie
Trailer: Future Casita Owner
North Central Texas
Internet: my main concern!

Quote:
For 3 or 4 years we have a Verizon 3G hotspot with unlimited data coverage.
Norm and Ginny, this is what I use at home. (I'm not RVing yet). I live in a rural area and the coverage is spotty at best, but I figure it is the best of the several things I've tried.

One of my MAIN concerns is internet coverage while traveling. I work online and need access about three to four hours a day. Of course I'll just have to be careful about what campgrounds I choose, I know some get no internet service at all. That or I could run into town to a wi-fi spot, but who wants to have to "go to work" every day and leave their cozy egg?

A question (possibly a dumb one) - is the Verizon hotspot a secured connection? I'd hate to think someone in the campground was utilizing my data allowance. LOL. When it comes to that I am quite selfish.

Thanks for any insight, folks, on internet connection! This is really (for now) a huge concern for my upcoming fulltiming days. Of course, in the next couple years who knows what kind of technology we'll have access to?
Old 11-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #39

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jool View Post
Norm and Ginny, this is what I use at home. (I'm not RVing yet). I live in a rural area and the coverage is spotty at best, but I figure it is the best of the several things I've tried.

One of my MAIN concerns is internet coverage while traveling. I work online and need access about three to four hours a day. Of course I'll just have to be careful about what campgrounds I choose, I know some get no internet service at all. That or I could run into town to a wi-fi spot, but who wants to have to "go to work" every day and leave their cozy egg?

A question (possibly a dumb one) - is the Verizon hotspot a secured connection? I'd hate to think someone in the campground was utilizing my data allowance. LOL. When it comes to that I am quite selfish.

Thanks for any insight, folks, on internet connection! This is really (for now) a huge concern for my upcoming fulltiming days. Of course, in the next couple years who knows what kind of technology we'll have access to?
Jool,
I spend most of my time in remote rural areas. I can tell you that coverage in many of these areas is not good. I spend long periods of time off the hook. No phone or internet. Where I am now I get less than one bar so I can't do any large data transfers like streaming anything. It's impossible to predict though. I have been places where, for no apparent reason, I have coverage. I don't see things changing much because there is no interest from the telecom people. The populated areas are where they make their money, and they see the rest of us as a nuisance. Many of them have started selling their rural base to second tier companies like Frontier.

I rarely ever stay in campgrounds, so others can advise better about that. I'd imagine most have some access now. Shared networks come with security risk. I'm not savvy enough to keep up with all the threats and counter measures, so I just don't use them. I have Verizon 3G wireless, which has been the best so far, but still far from great. Satellite is the only really good option, but far beyond my financial means.

Luckily, nobody really NEEDS to hear from me

David
Old 11-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #40

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jool View Post

Here is the manual for Verizon Mi-Fi
http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/...0/mifi2200.pdf
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote