How you stay connected on the road. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

View Poll Results: What is your primary way to stay connected to e-mail and Web on the road? Multiple OK
Smartphone 12 24.49%
Smartphone tethered with PC/Mac 2 4.08%
Wi-Fi hot spot, McDonald, Starbucks, campground, etc… 31 63.27%
Mobile Wi-Fi hot spot , Mi-Fi, USB, built in 3 or 4G 17 34.69%
Campground Dial-up or DSL 8 16.33%
Satellite 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #15

Name: Des and Diane (D & D)
Trailer: Boler 1300, 1977 (#2033, "L EGGO")
Ontario
You missed a big option!

Local libraries!

Every town, village and city has a library and public access computers. With our GPS libraries are easy to find. Most are free, or at most charge $1. or so for an hour.

We instruct family and friends to send news via regular e-mail. We pick it up on any computer, Canada or U.S.A. And while connected, send a quick report on our location and latest adventures.

Des & Diane

Old 11-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des Nolan View Post
Local libraries!

Every town, village and city has a library and public access computers. With our GPS libraries are easy to find. Most are free, or at most charge $1. or so for an hour.

We instruct family and friends to send news via regular e-mail. We pick it up on any computer, Canada or U.S.A. And while connected, send a quick report on our location and latest adventures.

Des & Diane
That's a good reminder.
We've used libraries often in Canada. not so much in the US.
Sherry

Old 11-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #17

Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des Nolan View Post
Local libraries!

Des & Diane
Excellent point!
George.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Smart Phones

Smart Phones alone are adequate to get our email. Actually I rarely get on line to check emails; I simply read and respond to them on the phone. Smart phones more advanced than mine can almost eliminate the necessity for a wi-fi hotspot or can serve as a hotspot themselves.

I mostly get on line to read newspapers or similar sources to check the news and review specific topics of daily interest. This usually takes me an hour each morning. Though some of these tasks are possible on a smart phone, the size of my phone makes it not quite feasible. Of course there's this forum that I probably spend an hour a day reading.

For many people I'm certain a Droid or IPhone could do it all without a more traditional Internet connection.

Times are a changing....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #19

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
iPad. The wife and I also ha e iPhones, and our 20 month old boy has an iPod touch. Yep... Getting started early. The iPad and my iPhone have unlimited data packages. I can stream Netflix, listen to music, listen to radio, email, surf the web, play games, sort and edit my photos, control my home computer, check the weather, use the GPS, etc. While connected to a wifi network, I can also watch xfinity TV (HBO, etc), and video chat with family and friends.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #20

Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Motorola Droid Razr

I just bought new Motorola Razr Droid smartphone even thou I tend to wait for a product maturity before purchase. This new Motorola product was just introduced yesterday, 11/11/11 and as we can see it was not the end of the World but hopefully a good day for Motorola. The AMOLED (Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode) display is just phenomenal. For glasses wearer as me this display beats any LCD to shame. It will take some time to get used the Android OS, fortunately I have some experience with RiP WebOS which is similar. We are planning long trip around US early next year and the new Smartphone, hot spots and Libraries! will give us Internet connections.

Many years ago the display technology folks claimed OLED taking over the display world, it took a decade to get it to a phone or camera and likely another decade to a TV or a monitor size. Contrast ratio and color saturation are just superb. Battery life should be excellent as well; in LCD display the backlight is blocked by LCD in OLED light is only emitted where it needs be so black is black because there is no light.

George.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #21

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt5937 View Post

I do not crack any encrypted connections, even though crackers are available. I only connect to open networks and there are many. Since I haven't really been on the road for many years, I haven't done it lately.
Not so true anymore, though it used to be. Now that many people are getting their modems from their ISP, most come encrypted. I used to be able to pick up seven or eight open Wifi networks from my sisters house, all are now encrypted. Same thing most of the time when I check with my laptop. I usrd to br sbor to pick up a couple at home. No more. Which is probably a good thing overall but not so good for those who like to pull up in an affluent neighborhood and use wifi! I use my iPad, anyway, now, AT&T unlimited.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:54 AM   #22

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Vote
Not applicable.

We have found that we don't need to be online for the time we are away camping. After all it's all about "getting away".
Old 11-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #23

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...I couldn't hack my way into trouble!!! Hot spots work for my wifes laptop. No cell or i anything as when we're away...what's the point. We usually don't want to be found. That plan may change when we're retired and on the road for longer periods.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 11-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #24

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Vote
Not applicable.

We have found that we don't need to be online for the time we are away camping. After all it's all about "getting away".
Some of us need to be connected even while pretending we are Disconnected.

I run my own business and it is a technology business.

Nothing is a better recommendation of my services to my clients than being able to provide support from the middle of nowhere.

Just one if the perks of that lifestyle.
Another favorite of mine is Sick Days.....thats where I work when I am sick because things still happen.

I think you get the idea.

Ed
Old 11-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #25

Florida
Camping Internet

Vote
Not applicable.

If we were simply camping I would agree. Some of us are on the road for long periods, truly getting away while needing a method of interfacing with the world.

One aspect is that we are able to do all our banking, manage our snail mail in the relative privacy of our Scamp, order our medications on line, or help my niece with her homework over Skype.

Certainly we could seek out a Library or Starbucks and probably would if we were weekend or week travelers. There's something nice about reading the newspaper(s) on my computer while the bacon and eggs are cooking.

Simply I think access to the Internet makes life easier on the road and in some sense more possible, particularly for those who are gone for long terms or have business or home responsibilities.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #26

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Another vote for "Not applicable." My wife and I have traveled all over the world, often on extended trips, and only on special occasions have we felt a need to "stay connected" - a need met by a simple phone call.

People today "stay connected" with techno-toys (iPhones, iPads, Droids, etc.), electronic leashes that let others jerk them out of their travel experience. <_< On the road, our cell phone is always turned off, and only (and rarely) used for outgoing calls. For us, travel is still an adventure.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #27

Florida
Sorry

Another vote for "Not applicable." My wife and I have traveled all over the world, often on extended trips, and only on special occasions have we felt a need to "stay connected" - a need met by a simple phone call.

People today "stay connected" with techno-toys (iPhones, iPads, Droids, etc.), electronic leashes that let others jerk them out of their travel experience. <_< On the road, our cell phone is always turned off, and only (and rarely) used for outgoing calls. For us, travel is still an adventure.

When you're gone for 7-11 months there are bills to pay, money to transfer, people to maintain contact with. I do not find that people 'jerk us out of our travel experience' but we do like sharing our travel experience with others on a regular basis.

We have been to every state and every province and have had marvelous experiences, not only with but in part because of our 'techno tools'.

This is our 11 year of travel adventure, a happy couple and their rig wandering North America.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #28

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Vote
Not applicable.

If we were simply camping I would agree. Some of us are on the road for long periods, truly getting away while needing a method of interfacing with the world.

One aspect is that we are able to do all our banking, manage our snail mail in the relative privacy of our Scamp, order our medications on line, or help my niece with her homework over Skype.

Certainly we could seek out a Library or Starbucks and probably would if we were weekend or week travelers. There's something nice about reading the newspaper(s) on my computer while the bacon and eggs are cooking.

Simply I think access to the Internet makes life easier on the road and in some sense more possible, particularly for those who are gone for long terms or have business or home responsibilities.
Although you did not say it explicitly, what you are describing is technology on YOUR terms. None of this has to be invasive if you simply manage it.

David