How you stay connected on the road. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What is your primary way to stay connected to e-mail and Web on the road? Multiple OK
Smartphone 12 24.49%
Smartphone tethered with PC/Mac 2 4.08%
Wi-Fi hot spot, McDonald, Starbucks, campground, etc… 31 63.27%
Mobile Wi-Fi hot spot , Mi-Fi, USB, built in 3 or 4G 17 34.69%
Campground Dial-up or DSL 8 16.33%
Satellite 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #41

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Jool

The MiFi is as safe when used as a Hotspot as any other network based on the security selected and implemented.

The nice thing about the MiFi though is that you don't need to use it as a WiFi device but you can use it hardwired to the computer you are using at the time.

When using it as a Hotspot you just log into it as you would any WiFi connection but when using it direct you need to install the Verizon Manager software, a version of which is already sitting on the device itself.

Once installed this software will let you manage your direct connection access which will be even more secure than WiFi as only when plugged in to it will you be able to log in.

When using it connected like that it also will disable the WiFi so no one else can jump online.

Let me know if you need more clarification.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #42

Name: Julie
Trailer: Future Casita Owner
North Central Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Jool

The MiFi is as safe when used as a Hotspot as any other network based on the security selected and implemented.

The nice thing about the MiFi though is that you don't need to use it as a WiFi device but you can use it hardwired to the computer you are using at the time.

When using it as a Hotspot you just log into it as you would any WiFi connection but when using it direct you need to install the Verizon Manager software, a version of which is already sitting on the device itself.

Once installed this software will let you manage your direct connection access which will be even more secure than WiFi as only when plugged in to it will you be able to log in.

When using it connected like that it also will disable the WiFi so no one else can jump online.

Let me know if you need more clarification.

Ed
Ed, thanks, this explains a lot and I feel much better about it now!
Old 11-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #43

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The percentages in the poll must be "new math"... I just noticed that they are way off. For example, with 64 votes in, 29 for wifi hotspots is just 45% of the total, rather than 65.91% as shown.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #44

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have a smart phone and I like for my family or anyone else to be able to contact me if there is a problem with my home or a family member. Does not matter if I am gone for just a week-end or for a month or more. I want to be sure they can contact me. I suppose its the results of having gotten a couple of those calls that no one ever wants to get that requires you to get home fast. As a result I am very reluctant to turn the phone off - although I do camp in a lot of areas where there is little to no service but often times there is enough for a text to get through - all be it a number of hours or a day after it was sent. If thier message is urgent they know if I dont respond right away to keep trying. Better to get the message late than not get it at all.

I dont actually make phone calls with the phone to often - made one call with it in a month the last trip - I use mostly text - my family, young and old know its cheaper for me if they text rather than call. Although my 87 year old mother only does e-mail so she will ask another family member to text me if there is something she thinks I should know about right away.

As I am often in the USA I need to buy before I go a travel plan for the phone. Even having that it can add up though if I leave the phone so that it down loads email all the time or use it to surf the web to much - so I shut those features off and only down load e-mail & look up travel information and weather etc when at a free Wi-fi place.

I currently only use my computer while traveling to download photos from my camera and then to upload them for family & friends to see.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #45

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
The percentages in the poll must be "new math"... I just noticed that they are way off. For example, with 64 votes in, 29 for wifi hotspots is just 45% of the total, rather than 65.91% as shown.
I can see 47 votes not 64?
George.
Edited, the problem is likely in multiple choice voting which the system doesn't see, you are correct.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #46

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Darn for a minute there I thought George was using new math as well ;-) but now I see at the bottom where it shows the actual number of people who voted - not the actual votes.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #47

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Ah, I get it. 68 votes from 47 voters. No wonder the percentages add up to something like 145%!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote