Howdy, all! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2003, 09:21 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Howdy, all!

Greetings from beautiful Gresham, NE, pop. 200 (now 201). I'm pushing up toward the half-way mark of my 60-day trip. Today is day 24. So far, after leaving PA homebase, I have spent 1 night in OH and then 5 each in IN, IL, IA, SD, and now NE. A similar pattern awaits in CO, NM, TX, AR, TN. So far I have had no "off" days and am going to build in a few of those. All work and no play, you know.

NE greeting me with a flurry of tornados and very high winds the first night, but no funnels set down where Otra and I rode it out. She bounced about like a little boat and I slept like a baby through most of it, including 3" of rain.

So far Otra has been performing like a champ. I've managed to break both front running lights on gravel roads, but will replace them when I get to Rice. In SD the rancher saw Otra and said "I'm gonna put you in the barn, otherwise you'll be rolling around here like a tumbleweed!" I told him I didn't think it would be necessary, but he insisted. Tip: when parking in a barn do NOT put the trailer directly under a robin's nest.

I've been keeping some trailer-related travel notes, but they are on my laptop and I am now using my farmer host's DSL hookup, so they will have to wait 'til I get back to HQ.

I leave here Sunday (if not earlier courtesy of a visiting tornado, some of which are ex[pected tonight again) for Wray, CO. Then Los Ojos, NM. Then Blanco, TX with a stop or two in between Los Ojos and Blanco. Then Warren, AR and Cottontown, TN. Then home.

Will check in here when I can over the next coupla days. All the best to everyone! I miss chattin' with you-all.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 10:10 PM   #2

Hi Robert!

:wave Great to hear from you! We weren't expecting you until much later!

Glad to know your trip is going well... A Casita in a barn? :shg Odd image that conjures! :laugh

Old 06-11-2003, 10:24 PM   #3

It would give the hens the fits!:laugh

Old 06-11-2003, 10:27 PM   #4

When you are in Blanco don't eat the Mexican Dinner at the Bowling Club Cafe, unless you have run out of metimusle, Every thing else is good. Try the bakery on the square for some butter dripping mouth wattering pastrys. Last time I was there I bought 4 cinamon rolls one I ate there. The other three were to take home , #2 didn't make the city limits, #3 disappeared 1/2 way to Dripping Springs, and old #4 was gone before I got to the Austin City Limits. I guess I need to try that load again. If it's open, the little Cafe in the River Park is good, and reasonable prices. And if you have the time a side trip thru Wimberly is fun. Lots of cute shops, a river in the middle of town , good food here and there, and that is where I found the "Fried Okra" sign at the Burger Barn on the eastern edge of town. Great big greasy sloppy delicious burgers. Walking (Waddleing)distance to a pie shop.A great bed and breakfast is the Inn Above Onion Creek, I have stayed there a couple of times, beautiful and comfortable, old texas style.
Welcome to Central Texas.

Old 06-12-2003, 06:59 AM   #5

okra

I knew this Okra would come up soon again and there it is!!

Old 06-12-2003, 08:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by Rock MacRae

It would give the hens the fits!:laugh
Good one, Rock! :wink

Old 06-15-2003, 07:17 PM   #7

Yo, all!

Me again.This time from Yuma County, Colorado. Ain't nothing heareabouts but cattle and coyotes. Found some shade from Otra and am meeting some fine folks.

No hens in that barn in SD, but the 'coons did come in and check out my trash.

I'll check in when I can. NM is the next stop.

All the best everyone!

Old 06-15-2003, 07:22 PM   #8

Hey, Robert :wave

I missed you the last time you popped in. It's great hearing from you.

Keep popping in when you get a chance!

Old 06-17-2003, 09:06 AM   #9

chatting again

Well, I had both my knees replaced 9 weeks ago :jump-r, and this is my first day back here reading all your 'chats'. It is almost like being back in a family! This terrific site has all manner of clever, delighful, uplifting posts. I read about everything, and I wish I had more to contribute.

Bob took our Casita to his lodge for the "boys'" annual reunion. Over 50 men, no women allowed, in the woods of Clinton County, PA. It was too cold and rainy :violin for good fishing , but they always have lots of fun. He and his brother boarded in Camp Casita and had hookup to electricity. In fact, with just 2 outlets, 4 (or was it 6?) different "campers" hooked up (one to our outside outlet), as they were not doing any heavy duty electric use. He said he had to give quite a few tours of our egg. I don't know when I'll be able to head out :huh, and I see my surgeon this Friday for my 2 month checkup.:feet

Bob has left behind two or three of those pressure regulators for hookup to the water faucets. I guess we just have to get used to REMEMBERING it...Where is a good place to store those?

Old 06-17-2003, 09:28 AM   #10

Hi, Beverly!! Welcome back! Hope your rehab is going well, so you'll be out camping in the Casita again, soon!

Old 06-17-2003, 10:42 AM   #11

Beverley:

#1 Welcome back!

#2 Why not attached a piece of string to secure it to the end of the hose?

Old 06-17-2003, 11:22 AM   #12

Now that sounds like an easy, do-able fix! I will look and see if it is physically possible :reyes, and also I'd like it to be at least semi-permanent. We both have come to realize, you gotta GO MORE OFTEN :banana so these little things become habits and don't drive you crazy and eat up so much valuable time. There have been great check-off lists posted here, but Bob wants lists he can actually check off the items. Since I am the great spread-sheet wizard :colors, I plan to work on getting him those lists. Ah, if only time didn't speed by so quickly in the summer... :sunny