HUD Regulations...Tiny Houses vs. RV Fulltimers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
HUD Regulations...Tiny Houses vs. RV Fulltimers

This is one interesting and often confusing topic.
RVTravel.com has an in depth report in this week's issue Fulltimers will find very informative.
It seems the newest fad in housing...the Tiny House movement has caused the government thru HUD to formulate regulations to protect buyers and builders of these Tiny structures. Many of these housing units fail to meet building codes and most end up being built on travel trailer like frames ready to roll and often dangerous/overweight etc.
If you have seen these Tiny Houses on their Television program you already know what this issue is about.
This week's RVTravel.com's report has many links that will bring RV travel trailer owners up to date. The HUD regulations are not aimed at or designed to restrict Fulltimers from living in their RV's...although initial reports seemed to have caused some panic among Fulltimers .
I have watched several editions of the Tiny House program on TV and must admit I wondered how these structures could meet building codes, sanitation codes, fire codes and over the road transportation codes. The HUD involvement was inevitable and the RVIA's position is covered in the excellent RVTravel.com article and all the links provided.
Well worth reading.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:57 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks for the link!
I've seem some of those "creations" and wondered about them, especially being very top heavy.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #3

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
That stupid TV show has done more damage to the Tiny House movement than most anything else.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:06 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
In our area they are having constant issues with people who buy small back wood or lake lots and then park an RV or build a shack on the lot. They install a well for water but no means to properly dispose of the waste water and then complain when a government agency cites them . My neighbor had an RV trailer
on his lot as a summer home until one of the other neighbors caught him draining his black and gray tanks down the hill and into the lake. The DNR told him to install a septic system or get the trailer off the lot. According to him this was his lot and because he could not afford a septic , the DNR had no right to make him move.
The neighbors on either side of him ,who had to smell the raw sewage saw it differently. I have no issues with living in a small home but just because they are small does not mean they don't need to comply with the building ,sanitary and fire codes.
The other issue is they leave the trailer on the lot for years yet
because it's on wheels even though the tires are rotted and flat ,that the trailer is portable and thusly they should not have to pay property taxes . That way they can use the schools and government services but not have to pay taxes to pay for them.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:58 AM   #5

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
because it's on wheels even though the tires are rotted and flat ,that the trailer is portable and thusly they should not have to pay property taxes . That way they can use the schools and government services but not have to pay taxes to pay for them.
The "owner" of the property just like YOU pays property tax on that property based upon the value of the property and the improvements on the property as assessed by the local county property assessor. An "RV" trailer is not a property improvement as it is not a structure that is regulated by the local government as a permanent living structure through local building codes IF there are any building codes at all as discussed in the article referenced above. The local government can through property codes regulate IF that RV can be parked on that property and for how long.

If you don't like your neighbors RV parked on his property next to your lovely roses call the city/county codes and see if you neighbor is violating any local codes to the local regulators can do something to legally solve this problem!

A mobile home IS a regulated living structure subject to local building codes and as such is assessed as a property improvement adding a value to the property.

Rest assured that SOMEONE is paying some amount of property tax on that property you describe above!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
...Rest assured that SOMEONE is paying some amount of property tax on that property you describe above!
True, but an unimproved lot pays far less than a lot with an approved residential structure. If people are living full time in an RV on an unimproved lot next door to someone with a house on the property, they are paying less than their share of the cost of tax-funded services. I think that's the inequity Steve is pointing out.

Have to say, though… most places where this would be tolerated at all don't provide much in the way of services…

The remedy, through changes to local ordinances, is slo-o-o-w and often includes grandfather clauses. If it's going to bother you, best find out what local zoning and codes permit and restrict before you buy property. Even enforcing existing codes is a drawn-out process, as I am finding with a derelict property across the street from my cabin.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #7

Name: Stephen
Trailer: NotYet
Ohio
The answer to all this is, "How deep are your "financial pockets", to fund (fancy way of saying "pay for lawyers"). When the local governmental offices bring the full force and authority to bear upon this issue, i.e. the local sheriff issues what ever orders a court directs them to follow. The first one might be the local health department for the sewage. Followed closely by the county/state/federal EPA looking into any violations of their "many" clean water/air rules. Oh, they will usually bring a lot of "friends" to the show, like the local forestry, wildlife, department of natural resources people if a violation is "near" their domain.
apfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The naive say it is about protection, and perhaps they have an ostensible point. A small part is about protection. The lion's share is about control and revenue efficiency. Where I live, it is against the law to build a house under one thousand square feet, yet many established lots are only 50 ft wide with 10 ft easements.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #9

North Carolina
Floyd, Nothing to do about RV full timing or the tiny house issue...but...your illustration...50 ft wide, minus 10ft each side for easements leaves 30ft for structures width...plenty of space to comply with minimum square footage required for building.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Floyd, Nothing to do about RV full timing or the tiny house issue...but...your illustration...50 ft wide, minus 10ft each side for easements leaves 30ft for structures width...plenty of space to comply with minimum square footage required for building.
You are right of course, while still solidly making my point! Thanks
Old 04-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #11

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The answer is Slab City.

No rent, no taxes, no law enforcement, no codes to adhear to, Park anywhere there is room, no easements, no 10 foot or square foot requirements, clothes optional, mud hole for a bath tub.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The naive say it is about protection, and perhaps they have an ostensible point. A small part is about protection. The lion's share is about control and revenue efficiency. Where I live, it is against the law to build a house under one thousand square feet, yet many established lots are only 50 ft wide with 10 ft easements.
Floyd you and I are going to disagree on the above.

I sit on a totally volunteer board locally for a very large district. We are a means for property owners to ask for a relaxation of zoning/by law restrictions. Property owners have a choose, they can ask the local government council for the relaxation or ask the volunteer board that comprises of local home owners with a professional background in building (i.e. architects, retired building inspectors, contractors etc ) or the development of community zoning plans. The cost of applying to the volunteer board is a less costly and a faster process. As a result far more applications are heard by the volunteer board than by the local government.

Here we have in place Neighbourhood building zonings that were developed by the owners of the properties within each neighbourhood themselves. These zoning bylaws went into place LONG after many of these old neighbourhoods where built. Having sat through long meetings with local residents and heard their concerns, I can assure you that the majority where wanting changes to the building bylaws to protect their property values. Took most of the neighbourhoods a couple of years of meetings and debates between property owners in each neighbourhood to come up with bylaws pertaining to building sizes, set backs, heights, sheds, fences etc that the majority of the home owners could/would agreed to. This approach was not something the local government came up with but was instead pushed forward by property owners as many of the neighbourhoods were starting to see older homes taken down and new monster homes going up and they did not like to see such big changes in their neighbourhoods.

What might surprise many is the majority of the applications for building variances are for buildings that were built without permits and do not comply with set backs or size restrictions. AND here is the kicker it was not the local government staff who found or reported the issue, it was a neighbour.

We have a bit of a laugh when people suggests that the By laws officers drive around looking for issues to ticket people for. Trust me they do not! There are actually only a few by laws officers in this area and they can not keep up with daily complaints from neighbours. Lots of people get away with things that are not permitted for years - as long as a neighbour does not complain. The reason there are so few Bylaw officers is that the cost of permits and licence etc does not come close to covering the salary of those staff members. Or at least that is the case in this area. Why pay for staff to go out looking for issues when you have so many residents willing to do the job for free

As far as protection goes I would suggest it is in fact all about protecting not just your property values but also your neighbours. Not just about the current owners protection but that of a future buyer of the home as well. Nothing will take a persons property value down fast than a neighbours messy yard are falling down building.

If you had seen the building quality or wiring jobs on some of the DIU jobs done that I have seen on my time on the Board, I suspect you would also agree that building codes & the need for inspection are indeed all about protection - if nothing more than to protect the future owner of the home - who can not see what is behind those walls. Yes there are cases were inspectors have missed problems on a building job but I am going to suggest its not the norm... like every job people sometimes mess up.

BTW a 50' lot is a very common lot size in cities and many a livable and nice looking home has been built on them even when a 10' easement is required.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Floyd you and I are going to disagree on the above.

I sit on a totally volunteer board locally for a very large district. We are a means for property owners to ask for a relaxation of zoning/by law restrictions. Property owners have a choose, they can ask the local government council for the relaxation or ask the volunteer board that comprises of local home owners with a professional background in building (i.e. architects, retired building inspectors, contractors etc ) or the development of community zoning plans. The cost of applying to the volunteer board is a less costly and a faster process. As a result far more applications are heard by the volunteer board than by the local government.

Here we have in place Neighbourhood building zonings that were developed by the owners of the properties within each neighbourhood themselves. These zoning bylaws went into place LONG after many of these old neighbourhoods where built. Having sat through long meetings with local residents and heard their concerns, I can assure you that the majority where wanting changes to the building bylaws to protect their property values. Took most of the neighbourhoods a couple of years of meetings and debates between property owners in each neighbourhood to come up with bylaws pertaining to building sizes, set backs, heights, sheds, fences etc that the majority of the home owners could/would agreed to. This approach was not something the local government came up with but was instead pushed forward by property owners as many of the neighbourhoods were starting to see older homes taken down and new monster homes going up and they did not like to see such big changes in their neighbourhoods.

What might surprise many is the majority of the applications for building variances are for buildings that were built without permits and do not comply with set backs or size restrictions. AND here is the kicker it was not the local government staff who found or reported the issue, it was a neighbour.

We have a bit of a laugh when people suggests that the By laws officers drive around looking for issues to ticket people for. Trust me they do not! There are actually only a few by laws officers in this area and they can not keep up with daily complaints from neighbours. Lots of people get away with things that are not permitted for years - as long as a neighbour does not complain. The reason there are so few Bylaw officers is that the cost of permits and licence etc does not come close to covering the salary of those staff members. Or at least that is the case in this area. Why pay for staff to go out looking for issues when you have so many residents willing to do the job for free

As far as protection goes I would suggest it is in fact all about protecting not just your property values but also your neighbours. Not just about the current owners protection but that of a future buyer of the home as well. Nothing will take a persons property value down fast than a neighbours messy yard are falling down building.

If you had seen the building quality or wiring jobs on some of the DIU jobs done that I have seen on my time on the Board, I suspect you would also agree that building codes & the need for inspection are indeed all about protection - if nothing more than to protect the future owner of the home - who can not see what is behind those walls. Yes there are cases were inspectors have missed problems on a building job but I am going to suggest its not the norm... like every job people sometimes mess up.

BTW a 50' lot is a very common lot size in cities and many a livable and nice looking home has been built on them even when a 10' easement is required.
The point on which we disagree appears to be whether it is primarily protection or control and revenue efficiency.
There may be a clue in your prolific use of the word "ask", which actually only supports my point. Also in the text of your sixth paragraph.

In what way could asking for relaxation of the law be anything other than favoritism? The implication is that the law is too strict to begin with, at least for those granted favors.

I assume I should be touched by the magnanimous way in which this favoritism is administered to the benefit of all (except those who must be bound by the law of course)?

As for that last sentence,I cited it because it was common, the rest is subjective and also supports my point.

I have not argued the necessity of zoning or even the degree of it,but rather the motive on which we apparently must disagree.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #14

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
The answer is Slab City.

No rent, no taxes, no law enforcement, no codes to adhear to, Park anywhere there is room, no easements, no 10 foot or square foot requirements, clothes optional, mud hole for a bath tub.
Slab City -- yee-esss...you make good points, but aren't you then at the bottom of the Salton Sea?

Myself, I'd worry all the time about an earthquake in the Sierra Nevada range and the onrush of the Pacific Ocean!

But as you say, no property taxes!

(And at the rate ours are climbing, we may end up at Slab City ourselves, eventually! Will bring a quick-inflatable rowboat and water wings!)
Old 04-10-2016, 12:48 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
In our area they are having constant issues with people who buy small back wood or lake lots and then park an RV or build a shack on the lot. They install a well for water but no means to properly dispose of the waste water and then complain when a government agency cites them . My neighbor had an RV trailer
on his lot as a summer home until one of the other neighbors caught him draining his black and gray tanks down the hill and into the lake. The DNR told him to install a septic system or get the trailer off the lot. According to him this was his lot and because he could not afford a septic , the DNR had no right to make him move.
The neighbors on either side of him ,who had to smell the raw sewage saw it differently. I have no issues with living in a small home but just because they are small does not mean they don't need to comply with the building ,sanitary and fire codes.
I would assume that they would have had the option to collect the gray and black water and carry it or have it carried off site to a dumpstation. The waste water treatment plant in our town has one at the public's disposal
Old 04-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #16

North Carolina
I live in an area of contrast...the beauty of the Adirondack Mountains, beautiful dairy farmlands, the Green Mountains of Vermont...but sadly many of the towns and villages outside the Adirondack Park Authority on the New York side of the border between NY and Vermont do not have zoning.

I moved here knowing that and took my own advise..."if you elect to live here then be prepared to buy your own zoning" . That means buying enough acreage to insure that all you can see is under your ownership. That means spending the money to buy plenty of acreage.

In these hill towns you see eye sores of "Shanty Towns" that would turn anyone off to living anywhere near them. Sad that humans would choose to destroy the beauty of this area and live like savages. The farm animals in these hill town live under better conditions.

The moral of this story is simple....do your homework before you select a home base. Carol H seems to have done that and is protecting the quality of her life.
Zoning is designed to protect the quality of life and the environment in which we live. Not all people respect their neighbors or the laws for the common good.

This all started out about Tiny Houses and the RV Fulltimers as they relate to local codes, product safety and basic sanitation etc. etc.
Placing a travel trailer on a lakefront lot can be done without damaging the quality of life. I have seen this done on lakes in upstate New York. The travel trailers are connected to septic systems and have wells for water. They do not dump holding tanks into the lake water. The state department of environmental protection does enforce health and water quality standards on lakefront properties. Violators are subject to arrest and removal of the offending travel trailers. If people do not respect their neighbors they belong in jail.

Laws are about the common good. The Tiny House Fad has caused the government to create a new batch of codes. Local communities have the right to ban these structures. That right comes from the people...for the people.
HUD has worked with the RV Industry to create a special classification for our Travel trailers through the RVIA....that is a good thing. Since the Tiny House movement chose to build most of their structures on wheels while trying to circumvent building codes in order to create cheap small and often substandard permanent housing designed to avoid taxes and sanitation codes the HUD has begun creating even more regulations.

We all might be thankful the RVIA was there to separate us from the Tiny House movement.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:14 PM   #17
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Tread carefully folks. Discussing zoning law and building codes is inherently political, and we have moved this thread out of "Problem Solving" because it has nothing to do with small molded fiberglass travel trailers.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:57 PM   #18

Name: Henry
Trailer: Intend to buy one day.
Florida
The eternal urge to control others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Tread carefully folks. Discussing zoning law and building codes is inherently political, and we have moved this thread out of "Problem Solving" because it has nothing to do with small molded fiberglass travel trailers.
Yes, that's quite true, but these are opinions lofted by many fiberglass trailer aficionados nonetheless. I shake my head at the number of people who leap at the opportunity to control other people, how they live, how they use their property, what they place on their property, etc. This is a part of human nature that many of us can do without. I'd rather live among free, decent, tolerant people in a "shanty-town" with "eyesores" all around than among people who count it as their duty in life to interfere in their neighbors' lives and exercise control over them and their property.
Henry Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #19

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
True, but an unimproved lot pays far less than a lot with an approved residential structure. If people are living full time in an RV on an unimproved lot next door to someone with a house on the property, they are paying less than their share of the cost of tax-funded services. I think that's the inequity Steve is pointing out.
But there are two sides to this tax fairness coin.

As a single person with no children, I have paid the same property and school taxes all my adult life as the families that have two, three, seven children. All of these children cost more for schools, roads (soccer practice, school plays, football games, etc.) These kids do a LOT of running around. I will also venture a guess that many of these kids cause the local police additional expenses in keeping them under control. Families cost a lot more to the community, yet single folks who live alone must pay all the same taxes. This doesn't even take into account the multiple income tax breaks that families can take advantage of.

Taxes have never been fair to everyone. The biggest breaks generally go to the class and situations that have the biggest constituency - married folks with kids.

Tiny houses are one of the FEW ways that single adults have to try to level the tax field a bit.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

In what way could asking for relaxation of the law be anything other than favoritism? The implication is that the law is too strict to begin with, at least for those granted favors.
The term favouritism is the practice of giving unfair preferential treatment to one person or group at the expense of another.

Which is totally not what the community board I volunteer on does. In fact it does the opposite. Any home owner can apply to the board for a relaxation of the building by laws and have an open public hearing of their application. One of the most common reasons a homeowner may not be granted a relaxation on set backs or building heights etc is if the board majority feels the request comes at the expense of a neighbours property - for reasons such as loss of view, loss of privacy etc. and it is possible for the homeowner to build on the lot without negatively impacting the neighbours. Neighbours are all invited to have their say in the application and what they have to say about the application is given a fairly high level of weight when the time comes for a board vote. It is BTW just as common to hear all the neighbours say they are in favour of an application as it is to hear the majority say they are opposed. Basically the process puts the development of the neighbourhood back into the hands of all the people who live in the neighbourhood.

As far as the reason the board is needed is not actually due to the zoning being to restrictive it is simple impossable to write zoning bylaws that cover all shapes, sizes and sloops of property. Basically they are written to cover a nice flat even rectangular property. As we all know not everyone has that type of lot especially in the area that I live. In this area it is pretty common as a result of the slopped and odd shaped lots for a home to have at least one building variance on it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote