Humpty Dumpty - I like to take things apart - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
Is it just me, or is it a general trend. I got the Sue-haul home. Took out the cushions, started "ripping it gently apart" to see what needs to get done first.

Actually, we could go camp in it right now.

But the Swamp Cooler Must die!!!!!!!!!!! I'll put in a nice vent. Maybe one of those fan/vents.

Is it just me?
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
It's a guy thing!
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Huh, I could have sworn Pat B and I were both females.....

(Not to mention numerous other females on the board who like to take stuff apart and put it back together.)
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
LOL, 'Brandy' should be chimming in here in the a.m!!!! Too funny....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've got more man tools than most men. Remodeled a home and have built my share of hot rods. Power tools are my favorites I thought my mom would flip when I asked her to buy me a bench vice for Christmas one year.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...Funny thing I too love to take things apart...Trouble is getting them "back together again"!!! Next thing is; where to store all the leftover parts???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Heyyyy I thought my ears were ringing.........yup tool gal here......and I just happen to catch my first BIG fish on the yakima river a true documented 18+ inches...

Quote:
LOL, 'Brandy' should be chimming in here in the a.m!!!! Too funny....
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation

Quote:
But the Swamp Cooler Must die!

Is it just me?
Swamp Coolers are meant for use in the Desert... to combat the DRY heat. I don't think you have that in Ohio.
My Fiber Stream had a swamp cooler on the roof when I bought it. Totally useless for the traveling I do.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:13 AM   #9

Stir the pot!
Stir the pot!
Old 04-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:

Stir the pot!
Stir the pot!
Get hit with the spoon!
Old 04-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
Just to set the record straight, last time I looked I was female, 53 and an engineer. I currently am volunteering for the Red Cross in Disaster Services. That's why I wanted a small trailer.

I like to take apart and rebuild things. But, I am a average carpenter....birdhouses, doors and simple stuff are OK. The electrical system needs to be updated to handle some Ham Radios.

The Uhaul....might change the name to "Pearl"...has just simple things to fix. Plus, I have a ton of leftover parts from a cannibalization of an old pop up my friend turned into a flatbed for his truck camper.

Hey Alf, use your cell phone to take pics and label, everything!
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I see no problem here, my youngest daughter played with trucks and was really pissed when they wouldn't let her play football in school, She even said her middle name was Joe when she was about 9 years old.

She has a pretty good knowledge of fixing things but prefers to let her fiance think he is the tool guy.
(which he is not)
I say go for it, Donna will tell you there is nothing you can't do if you want to do it.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #13

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
... my youngest daughter... has a pretty good knowledge of fixing things but prefers to let her fiance think he is the tool guy.
(which he is not)
She sounds like a great, capable daughter. Good on you for being proud of her and not trying to make her stick to dolls only

It makes me wince a little that people (women) still feel the need to hide their strengths to protect other people's egos, but I guess it's improving as we go along. I'm just impatient about it (but then I don't have a fiance, either... )

Pat: I'd love to hear more about your Disaster Services trailer outfitting and trips, sould you care to share on the board. Thank you for your services with the Red Cross. I hope I don't run across you in that capacity, but I'm glad you are out there!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Hi: All...Funny thing I too love to take things apart...Trouble is getting them "back together again"!!!
Have you lost that small part dexterity you had as a youngster?
Well maybe you still are a youngster, I dunno. But I can't do the little work anymore. Small parts hate me. So whatever I take apart usually ends up in the trash... at least if it has #2 machine screws and stuff like that.
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I currently am volunteering for the Red Cross in Disaster Services. That's why I wanted a small trailer.
Awesome!

I think you were right to think about selecting a UHaul. They were originally engineered to be used independently under conditions where taken-for-granted support services become unknown quantities that cannot be counted upon. [b]BUT there is the law of unintended consequences to be factored in as well. (notwithstanding the male attitude, for which I offer a blanket apology).

Evaporative cooling systems operate with simple motors and pumps, that can be powered economically by 12 volts DC. Like human sweat, they add moisture to hot dry conditions, and use moving air to cool. But if the air conditions are already humid; adding more moisture is counterproductive. While evaporative coolers are commonplace in Palm Springs, CA they are absent in Hot Springs, AR.

Air conditioning systems cool by subtracting excess humidity and using moving air to facilitate this cooling. Unfortunately, this extraction process is too power intensive for 12 volt DC systems to operate.

The factory that built UHauls selected evaporative coolers for their operational economy; not their geographic effectiveness. This misunderstanding (probably male induced) contributed to the demise of the rental business model.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Pat B... " Use your cell phone to take pictures"; That'd be great 'cept I took it apart and it never worked since!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #17

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
Well maybe you still are a youngster, I dunno. But I can't do the little work anymore. Small parts hate me. So whatever I take apart usually ends up in the trash... at least if it has #2 machine screws and stuff like that.
Ha, you know you are getting old when you carry a magnifying glass with built in light.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I hear ya. I bought a magnetic pad for the times I have tiny screws and washers to deal with. If they're steel, they stick. I bought a magnifying glass with a built in light... that helps a whole lot. It clamps to a table or work bench and swivels. Here's one: Lamp with 5 diopter glass magnification lens
Attached Thumbnails
magnifying_lamp.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Pat,
Nobody ever said I wasn't nosey. It took a little looking. LOL

KD8HZF de KA8BFT

Bill K

Quote:
Just to set the record straight, last time I looked I was female, 53 and an engineer. I currently am volunteering for the Red Cross in Disaster Services. That's why I wanted a small trailer.

I like to take apart and rebuild things. But, I am a average carpenter....birdhouses, doors and simple stuff are OK. The electrical system needs to be updated to handle some Ham Radios.

The Uhaul....might change the name to "Pearl"...has just simple things to fix. Plus, I have a ton of leftover parts from a cannibalization of an old pop up my friend turned into a flatbed for his truck camper.

Hey Alf, use your cell phone to take pics and label, everything!
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Ha, you know you are getting old when you carry a magnifying glass with built in light.
Oh geeez! I have one of those.

Our daughter built their patio deck two years ago and brought home a couple of friends from work to help teach her husband how to use tools.
{He's sooo Handy!"}