Hunter Compact II Cover? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1974 Hunter Compact II
Virginia
Hunter Compact II Cover?

Hi, all. I need to cover my Hunter Compact II for the winter. I was hoping to have access to a garage, but that didn't work out. Can anyone recommend a specific tarp or pre-formed cover that works well with this model? Thanks!
billgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Tarps & covers can play hell with the finish on a trailer due to wind and abrashion. $$ spent on a cover may best be put to a portable shelter. This can be better at fighting the wind and weight from lots of snow.
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 73 Hunter Compact II
Registry
I just use a 14' x 20' heavy tarp and wrap it like a present; side to side under the belly and then front and back. Once strapped down I like to loop a rope around the tarp to prevent it from pulling free and flapping around and wearing on the finish. Biggest issue for weight on the II is the areas above the fridge and the cabinet on the other side where the fiberglass is curved. I found this area to have very thin fiberglass and most prone to cracking due to snow load.
Scott Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
If you insist on covering it, it's best to use breathable canvas, or some other fabric that breathes. Do take note of warning labels on plastic tarps sold at places like Walmart- they'll say very plainly that they're not meant for longterm on-vehicle use due to potential finish damage, as mentioned above.

Also:
Do make sure to leave windows at least slightly ajar, or you'll have horrible mold problems come spring.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I don't know if this cover will fit your camper, but I bought it for my UHaul and note that it has "shoulders" built in so that it can also be used with a more squared off trailer. Quality is good, it is breathable and soft on the inside surface.

Deluxe Uhaul Ct 13 13' Travel Trailer camper Cover | eBay
Old 11-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #6

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1974 Hunter Compact II
Virginia
Thanks, guys, for all of the input. I'm sufficiently spooked about using a cover... especially since it is kept a couple of hours away. I am "inheriting" a carport in the spring, which I'm going to set up out at the family farm, so I think I'll just rent a storage unit for Jan., Feb., and March.

Thanks again for the input.
billgordon is offline   Reply With Quote