Hunter Compact Jr - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Compact Jr and Teardrop Trailer
Washington
Hunter Compact Jr

I have found a 1973 Hunter Compact Jr for sale that is 5-6 hours away. Before I make the drive I wanted to confirm some info on the trailer.

What is the height, width and length of the cabin on a compact Jr? What is the overall length?

The owner says it is about 1200# with the water tank empty. Does that sound right?

What else should I look for? What are the common place to look for leaks?

I seems to be in pretty good shape based on pictures but if it needs it I can gut it and rebuild. I have a teardop trailer I built in 2005 so I can hand the work.

Jeremy

Old 07-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #2

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
1200 lb with water tank empty and trailer unloaded may be accurate. Or might not, depending on how it is set up. Height is normally under 7 feet (barely) but depending on tires and axle could go over. Length is 13' overall, width about 6 feet.

I think (don't quote me) the Compact floor is not fiberglass, so check for rotten plywood, especially by the door. Check the pop up mechanism and see what condition the fabric is in. Replacing it can cost $200-$400. Same for cushions and cushion fabric. Leaks would be at windows and anywhere there is a vent. If you smell mildew it has probably been wet. Leaks aren't all that common, though, and many Compacts have been stored in garages, unlike traditional trailers.

Someone else can tell you what to check for on the frame as if I recall, there can be weak spots. (Or use the search on this site (but search google) to find compact frame.)

The doors on these are notorious for bouncing open while you drive so don't be surprised if there is some kind of door-holding device. (If not you may want one.)

There is a full checklist in the documents section but these are things I can think of which are particular to this style of trailer.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Oooh is that the green one, I really like the colour. I am 3 hours away and have stuff planned otherwise I would have loved to have checked it out for a potential buyer. I could have lived vicariously through you
Sorry I don't know any of the stats though.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Washington
It is a very basic model. Sink, stove and ice box. No heater or port-a-potty. The fabric looks like it is a tie-dye pattern. It does not look original. If it need to be replace I can make it. It look like they removed the table also.

Jeremy
Old 07-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Good information above. The weak point for the frame is usually where the frame exits up front and becomes the tongue. Good luck with your search.

First Sight Of 1973 Compact Jr. Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Old 07-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #6

Name: Brant
Trailer: Hunter I
California
Registry
Basically what Bobbie said. Crawl under it and look at wood floor for rot or soft spots also look at the condition of the pop top fabric to see if it is in good shape if not you can use it as a pattern to make a new one. Most of the electrical for the interior and exterior lighting is easily accessible so any lights that are not working can be repaired. And yes if you purchase it make sure you secure the rear door with a bungee or something for the trip home they do pop open. Good luck and if you get it please post pictures!!!
Old 07-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Washington
Here is a picture of the trailer. I have a couple more of the interior. I got an email from the seller letting me know that he still has it but is going out of town for 10 days. I will go look at it when he get's back.

Jeremy
Old 07-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #8

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
We have a Compact II. These Compacts came in all sorts of configurations. Ours had no battery in the camper, it ran 120v or 12v off the tug.

Check if the water pump works. Ours had a 12v pump that was ok but the hand pump squirted water out everywhere! We went for a marine foot pump since we boon dock and I like to wash both hands.

They are a pretty thin fiberglass layup, maybe 1/8. Most of the interior is light framing with veneer coverings so it's hollow and light. 1200 pounds empty would be about right.

The best part of the Jr is that king sized bed. Most FRV are plagued with tiny beds. Replacing the table is simple.

You'll love it.

Denece

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Washington
I think I have the green light from my wife to go look at it and possibly buy it. I currently have a home built teardrop trailer that I will have to sell if I get this one. The plan is if we buy this one is to get it home and get it cleaned up and use it a couple time before I sell the teardrop. If I decide I don't like the Compact Jr then I will keep the teardrop and sell the Compact Jr.

Jeremy
Old 07-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #10

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Sounds like a great plan. I suspect you will both love it. Indoor coffee when it's raining and all. Nothing like being able to stand up and get dressed. We moved up from a tent. Our whoo hoo moment was sitting up in bed and putting our feet over the edge.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #11

Name: Brant
Trailer: Hunter I
California
Registry
Looks great, keep us posted if you buy it!!! Looks like it will clean up with minimal effort so you can begin to enjoy it. Good luck.