Huntington Beach State Park, SC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 06:49 AM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Huntington Beach State Park, SC

Well folks, unfortunately, we're back in NY. We had a great time in SC last week, but would not do the trip down or back in 2 days again. 2-1/2 or 3 would be much better!

As it is, I very rarely drive our Ford Escape (with the 3500# tow package) over 60, and usually peg it at 57 unless the speed limit is less. The tall profile of the Parkliner affects the tow capacity in a negative way, but as long as we drive in "S" we do fine. We had about 21 or 22 mpg through the trip, including some side excursions just with the Escape. No problems at all with either the egg or the TV the entire trip. I am very thankful about that!

I did think I had a problem with the trailer when we were in stop and go traffic around DC. This white Ford 3/4 ton 4 door pickup kept pulling alongside and yelling something I could not make out. I was sure she had noticed something askew with the Parkliner. Finally, after about the 5th attempt, we got close enough and she asked "DO YOU WANT TO SELL THAT TRAILER?" Never had that happen before. Told her "No." No use negotiating on I-95...

Huntington Beach State Park is very well run. We were impressed and would go back in a NY minute. On the other hand, I think we would do the week before or the week after, as the week we were down there was bike week, meaning mostly Harley Davidsons. Myrtle Beach, which the park is pretty close to, we packed, traffic was real bad, restaurants were packed. Lot of pretty bikes, tattooed guys and gals, and nobody with a helmet on, which is very different from over-regulated NYS!

The three miles of Atlantic Ocean beach, at this time of year, is only sparsely used. I think it connects to the state campground at Myrtle Beach. We had a lot of folks with Harleys in our campground. I figure Myrtle Beach was packed with them. We got in the water every day, at least a bit, and I was completely in 3 days, and swimming two of those.

All together, through the week, we saw 6 other eggs, all Scamps and Casitas of various age (2002 through 2017) and one Bigfoot truck camper, which looked awesome. We saw a few eggs going north as we went down the weekend before last, but none on the way home last weekend.

While we never made it to the restaurant Mary and Bob suggested, we do have one good recommendation - the Hot Fish Club in Murrell's Inlet. Gail had some kind of lobster roll, and I had a fish platter. Both were excellent.

Oddest things we saw at the campground - what looked like a new F650 red Ford pickup in front of a small stickie. And a renovated 1993 Fleetline Terry 5th wheel some fellow had seen on the side of the road, picked it up for a song, and tore the interior out and built new. He really did an incredible job on it. It was their first trip out with it.

That's all for now folks, gotta get to work!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Glad to hear you had a great time!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:10 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The route we take is I 87, to I 84, down I 81. Sometimes over I 77 to Columbia SC and I 26 out to I 95. We won't go near DC. We usually do a overnight stop at the Natural Bridge VA KOA. However on our way up this year we drove all the way from Huntington Beach to Jonestown PA . Too long a day, but made for a shorter ride home the next day. Route 29, that we pick up east of Winchester VA isn't too bad of a ride, and it goes by the museum for The Waltons TV show. The author of the show grew up there and his former school is the museum.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #4
JBB

South Carolina
We need to plan a trip sometime in your direction! There is a lot that I would love to explore in the NE!
Old 05-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #5

New York
I mentioned that possibility to Gail, but she wouldn't go for it. I will copy this route info and present it to her. I like that idea.

I don't know if you two are still tear dropping. The only kind we saw this last week were store bought new ones. Nice looking though!

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
The route we take is I 87, to I 84, down I 81. Sometimes over I 77 to Columbia SC and I 26 out to I 95. We won't go near DC. We usually do a overnight stop at the Natural Bridge VA KOA. However on our way up this year we drove all the way from Huntington Beach to Jonestown PA . Too long a day, but made for a shorter ride home the next day. Route 29, that we pick up east of Winchester VA isn't too bad of a ride, and it goes by the museum for The Waltons TV show. The author of the show grew up there and his former school is the museum.
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #6

New York
Jan,

There is a plethora of great stuff to see in the NE. In NYS, other than the Adirondacks, we particularly like Letchworth and Watkins Glen State Parks. Both display awesome canyons.

The NE coast has lots of stuff to see, both beach and rocks. Also, if you want to get further NE, Nova Scotia and particularly Cape Breton are must-see places.

Having said that, we will be planning more trips to SC. We very much enjoyed out stay.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
We need to plan a trip sometime in your direction! There is a lot that I would love to explore in the NE!
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-21-2018, 09:16 AM   #7
JBB

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Jan,

There is a plethora of great stuff to see in the NE. In NYS, other than the Adirondacks, we particularly like Letchworth and Watkins Glen State Parks. Both display awesome canyons.

The NE coast has lots of stuff to see, both beach and rocks. Also, if you want to get further NE, Nova Scotia and particularly Cape Breton are must-see places.

Having said that, we will be planning more trips to SC. We very much enjoyed out stay.

Frank

Thanks Frank! I'll research the areas! Appreciate the info!
Old 05-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: 2016 Parkliner
Virginia
My wife and I made a note to be careful when we're around DC towing our Parkliner. We'll have to be on the lookout for "loose cannons" like you encountered on I-95! Glad you didn't have an accident.

We stay in Huntington Beach State Park every Thanksgiving. Love it!
Old 05-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #9

Name: Tryonbrewer
Trailer: Northern Lite
South Carolina
Probably want to make sure to avoid the area over Memorial Day Weekend. There are 2 "Bike Weeks" and this is when the second one happens.
tschager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #10

New York
Frank; we only use the teardrop for vintage camper rallies and car shows or cruise-ins. Other times the Uhaul will go to vintage rallies. We just got home from a fiberglass rally in NH, took the Casita to that one.

John, we have been at Huntington Beach two times over Thanksgiving. Last time was probably 3 years ago. Had TK dinner one time at Brookgreen Gardens, the other time at Charlie's.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:08 AM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post

Frank
South Carolina does state parks right.. mostly.

At this very moment I am at Hunting Island State Park (SC). WiFi is good at my site! I had reservations here two years running.. and two years running the park closed due to hurricanes. Finally on my third try I made it with the Scamp. You can still see the effects from Irma everywhere, but its good they got the park and many of the campsites reopened. Its nice to actually hear the ocean waves at night from the camper.

Edisto Beach State Park should also be on your list I think (the beach campground over the "forest" loop). But it also suffered some and I have not been back since Irma so I can't give a report on conditions there.

The crowded beach last Saturday at Hunting Island SP>
Attached Thumbnails
Beach1_Small.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:05 PM   #12

New York
We canceled both Hunting Island and Edisto for stays this past March. Only been to Edisto once in the beach campground, Hunting Island several times. Gordon; are the sites near the beach open? We usually took a site in the 40's, maybe #44. Oh wait, wife just looked on Reserve America and it doesn't show those sites so I answered my own question.Looks like that area is parking and picnic tables. I saw some photos of that area after one of the hurricanes, showed the toilets in one of the restrooms full of sand. We like to stop at the Chocolate Tree in Beaufort, best candy ever, and supposedly where Tom Hanks bought the candy that was in the box in the movie Forrest Gump.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Trip Report

Hi Frank
Glad your South Carolina trip went well. We’ve had trailer stalkers approach us more than once. Best was at a McDonalds. As we came out after using the WiFi a man and his wife got out of their pickup that was parked behind us in a gravel side lot. They wanted to know about the trailer. He said “I was in surveillance in the Marines and told my wife they’ll have to come back sooner or later.” Nice Folks. We were at Huntington Park about October 15 or so. It was the week before the Clemson/Tennessee football game and those Harley folks don’t have nothin on those golf carts that look like a rolling tiger. A nice Fiberglass trailer will draw a crowd or comment about anywhere. Next one you’ll hear will be from a 5th Wheel with several slideouts. “ We’ve been thinking about downsizing”.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Unfortunately for others, you didn't mention the amazing variety of wildlife adjacent to the campground. All kind of birds and water life! I saw my first Painted Bunting there. It's a fascinating place!!

P.S. Try Bubba's Love Shack for great food. It's a few miles north at Murrell's Inlet
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:20 PM   #15

North Carolina
Quote:
... Gordon; are the sites near the beach open? We usually took a site in the 40's, maybe #44. Oh wait, wife just looked on Reserve America and it doesn't show those sites so I answered my own question.Looks like that area is parking and picnic tables....
Its more like the beach is near the campsites now.. site 90, 93, etc are really pretty close.. a short walk. The road where the 40's is under sand mostly now.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:53 PM   #16

New York
Postman (John); in March we saw an alligator along the path to the beach. The path that goes out of the north end of the campground. Do you know the name of the burger place in Murrells Inlet. The building has metal roofing for siding. Great burgers there. Also in that area is a place that has a decent buffet, it's on the left heading north. The burger place is on the right (water side of the road).
Old 05-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #17

North Carolina
Quote:
Postman (John); in March we saw an alligator along the path to the beach. The path that goes out of the north end of the campground. ..
On my first of two stays there were a lot of alligators along the causeway leading into the park. On my next stay, none. The road had been damaged and part of the side walk was not yet repaired from a hurricane. It seems that the gators moved on (for a time at least) after the storm. But what I did see was about 7 or 8 gator hatchlings about ten inches long. They were in the culvert in the campground near site 13. Some people were taking close up photos of them. I was watching the people from a distance, wondering where mama gator was.

Photo is from 2015.
Attached Thumbnails
CausewayGators6.jpg  
Old 05-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #18

New York
This is my pet gator that I got in Florida. I found out he doesn't like being carried around in a cooler.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2222.JPG  
Old 05-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #19

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Did either of you folks see many snakes? On our last visit there, about 3 winters ago, we hiked the trail that goes to the beach and saw a copperhead just off the footpath. I should have been more specific--I am referring to Huntington Beach SP. At Hunting Island SP we also saw snakes, as well as the deer which came a number of times per day to our site. The birds there are also spectacular.

I enjoy seeing wildlife---but prefer it NOT to include snakes.

Both these parks are well-kept and great places to camp. But our personal favourite remains Myrtle Beach SP. (We just have to bring our rake to ensure we rake back the leaf litter on our site as doing so increases the snake visibility!)
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:40 PM   #20

New York
The only thing I don't like about the SC state parks is that they change the rates based on time of year or holidays. We were told that each park sets their own rates, and can change them as they like. As I recall, the rate at Huntington Beach increased on March 1. Thanksgiving weekend cost more than just a few days prior. Myrtle Beach SP is usually cheaper than Huntington Beach.