Hymer FG, new kid on the block? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-11-2018, 09:41 PM   #1

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Hymer FG, new kid on the block?

Got a chance to visit the RV show this past week in Pomona Ca. Largest show in Kali. My friend , Andrew was looking at a class B made by Hymer, Canadian.
On the lot were 2 of their travel trailers. Looked like fiberglass exterior. I started talking with a company rep. Asked what the exterior bottom material was? Fully wrapped FG underneath. I looked, yep. The only part of the trailer I don't like is the pop up material. I asked about the leakage factor of the pop- up.

So anyway does this German trailer built in Canada deserve to be listed as a FG trailer?

https://www.gohymer.com/touring-gt-overview/

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
1008181103-800x600.jpg   1008181106_HDR-800x600.jpg  

1008181104-800x600.jpg   1008181112-800x600.jpg  

Old 10-12-2018, 05:15 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Looks nice, but personally wouldn't buy a trailer that popups, or has a slide-out, I like the solid feeling of the fiberglass egg style. Didn't see a price, but probably in the $30,000 and up range.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:48 AM   #3

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I like the interior and exterior finishes, windows and door. Don't care for cassette toilet, small fridge and gray tank. Overall, looks like a nice addition to the FGRV family.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
The modern styling is most similar to The Nest... Definitely like the styling.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:57 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This trailer is the North American version of the iconic Eriba trailers, made by Hymer in Germany. Eribas in Europe have a cult status, just like Airstreams over here, they have been around for decades, and they are very sought after in the used market.
A couple years back, Hymer bought Roadtrek, a Canadian class B manufacturer, and announced they will introduce the Eriba trailers to the NA market.

Not sure about the NA version, but the original Eribas are aluminium-skinned over a tube framing.

I was glad a euro manufacturer was coming to NA. The built quality and the interior finish of most euro RVs/trailers is light-years ahead of most of what is built here, including Airstream (never saw an Oliver trailer in person but they look to me like the only one that approaches euro products in term of quality and look).

So I was expecting that maybe this new player would make NA manufacturers improve their offer and built quality, but now I'm not so sure. A few weeks ago Hymer was bought by... THOR.
No good news IMO. It will be interesting to see if the renown product quality from THOR's Hymer division will improve the crap that comes out of most THOR factories, or if it will be other way around...
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:15 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I was thrilled to see a new entrant into the FG business until I saw this:

"A few weeks ago Hymer was bought by... THOR."
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:20 AM   #7

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Bummer....
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
I have been following this for a few years as they have built the factory and sought North American approvals and certifications for some of their components. There were several listed for sale earlier this year, though now I only see one.

I like it. Although I anticipate that we are going to remain committed to the Escape 21, I always remain interested in finding something a little lighter and simpler.

I had a pop-top on a 1965 VW Kombi and it worked well. I like the pop-top designs for increasing available headroom while reducing the wind resistance when towing. You can even drop them at night to conserve heat or keep wind-driven rain out, so long as you remember to mind your head.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:05 AM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
So anyway does this German trailer built in Canada deserve to be listed as a FG trailer?

It does if it's all-molded fiberglass. I don't know there have ever been issues about something being international.

Though one idiot had a bad spectrum moment and opined that all-molded fiberglass 5th wheels didn't deserve to be listed as FG trailers. (Not that they are "trailers" the same way some trailers are.) The fool was thoroughly chastised and recanted.

It's interesting. Weight & tongue weight? Cost? Size? What else did I miss?

BEST
Kathleen
"K"
Old 10-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #10

The NA model seems different from the EU offering, no direct match.
The NA model looks like it's made from molded FG, at least the upper part. The EU Eriba has a joint at the roof line that the NA model doesn't have, and I know for sure that the EU Eriba is made out of steel tubing with an aluminium sheet, no FG. Watch:
Old 10-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #11

Michigan
Registry
Following the Hymer link in the OP post, you'll see all the details (exterior and interior dimensions, GVWR, dry weight, dry tongue weight, USD and CAD retail prices, etc).

On reading through all of the details, the body is apparently all molded fiberglass. So if you can actually order it and take delivery (in 6 to 12 months), it appears to be a FGRV contender.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #12

Michigan
Registry
The OP link (if you read every page and read the downloadable brochure) indicates that the exterior is molded fiberglass.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #13

So it's very different from its EU cousins. Even if they the steel lattice and aluminium construction they would have made very nice units to own.

Some of their EU floor plans have features and design that didn't make it in the NA version. It's interesting to look at the EU website and compare.

The size and weight of this Hymer puts it in the same category as an Escape 17. It is only a bit smaller and lighter than my T5500. But the E17 (and my 5500) has a larger fridge, black water tank (no cassette toilet), hard roof all over. My 5500 even has an oven. EU models also offers some of these features (and more) depending on the model.
Nonetheless it's a beautiful trailer, certainly well made, but a bit of disappointment for me as it looks to me like the NA floor plan is a crippled version of the EU ones. (Not that I was going to buy one anyway! I'll keep my old 5500!)
Old 10-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #14

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I bet quality will be maintained for the most part, depends on the target market. Thor has some high quality brands. Besides, it is many times not the trailer itself that has quality issues but the appliances that cause the problems. However, having said that, the NEST FG trailer seems to be having quality problems that hopefully will be worked out.

It will be interesting to track how many Hymer FG units are sold. Seems like a small niche market.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:13 AM   #15

Michigan
Registry
For us, we are currently fixing up a Boler 1700. When we finally get it towable and campable, we will start using it and determine how well it works for us. We like the Boler 1700 for its ensolite, shower/toilet compartment, spaciousness (body alone is 8 feet wide by 13.5 long). Also it tows like a dream, actually better than our Trillium 4500.

If the Boler 1700 doesn't work out (won't know for a couple of years), then we would probably consider an Escape. But if the Hymer Touring GT is available, we might consider it. It appears to be very competitive with the Escape 17 and 19. I like the following aspects:

- molded fiberglass (of course)
- insulated vinyl (?) wall covering
- fits in a garage
- huge bed that can be accessed without climbing over another person
- modern campervan styling (interior/exterior surfaces, cabinets, sink, stove, etc)
- edit: also like the cassette toilet (prefer over a black tank and toilet)
Old 10-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post

It does if it's all-molded fiberglass. I don't know there have ever been issues about something being international.

Though one idiot had a bad spectrum moment and opined that all-molded fiberglass 5th wheels didn't deserve to be listed as FG trailers. (Not that they are "trailers" the same way some trailers are.) The fool was thoroughly chastised and recanted.

It's interesting. Weight & tongue weight? Cost? Size? What else did I miss?

BEST
Kathleen
"K"
It looks like a very nice trailer worth at least considering for some buyer's.

Is it truly molded fg? Based on the video, I think the jury is still out.

Digging around the web page, I found a price of around $26,000 US. It listed gross weight at 3,2000 pounds but not a delivered weight or a tongue weight.

The pop up idea doesn't bother me since I have one now. If the overall height would let it be garaged, then I'm all for it. I would like to see a twin bed option.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #17

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hey, Dave!

Thanks. I'd be interested in seeing a twin bed layout, too.

Be nice to be able to garage your trailer! Peanut "could" get in there if we did some major shoving, took the wheels off, rolled in in a thin logs, etc.

Nah.

How you doin?

Kathleen
Old 10-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Very interesting. Carl, thank you. I'd guess Hymer was working on this well before Thor gobbled them up. The farther their factory is from Indiana, the better. I started following Hymer via "We're The Russos", videos linked on Hymer's site.

Hymer has some innovative Class Bs at "relatively" competitive prices. Innovations include power management systems that maintain cabin temperature when shut off, via solar, batteries, & self starting. Perfect for pets.

Another example is their incorporation of a Westfalia style pop-up roof in order to sleep 4 in a modern class B.

The pop-up roof in their trailer might allow it to be garaged, yet offer 6'5" interior height when raised. I'm not sure about garage ability, but the pop-up will be well received by tall folks. Travelling height is 7' 4".

I welcome the competition. It may shorten delivery waits. I expect they will sell via dealers, therefore not cheapest.

PS, Hymer exterior width is 6'9". A Casita 17' is 6'8" wide.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #19

Michigan
Registry
Dave, page 5 of the downloadable brochure reads: "Shell Molded insulated fiberglass".

EDIT:

Hitch weight (dry*) 250 lbs. / 113 kg
Trailer weight (dry*) 2,480 lbs. / 1125 kg
Old 10-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Dave, page 5 of the downloadable brochure reads: "Shell Molded insulated fiberglass".

EDIT:

Hitch weight (dry*) 250 lbs. / 113 kg
Trailer weight (dry*) 2,480 lbs. / 1125 kg
Thanks. I did not download the brochure. If the travel height is 7'5", then one would be very tight getting into my carport.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote