Hymer Touring GT owners & resources thread - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2019, 09:40 AM   #41

Name: John
Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I found everything I needed to find, I think it's a great little unit with a big bed. and easy to tow. In other words just what I'm looking for.
Wow, going from an Oxygen to a Hymer... You're my kinda nut! Welcome.

We've got a good community building on the Facebook group, but I've been a little disappointed more Hymer types aren't participating here on a more traditional forum. Maybe that will change with longtime members like you switching gears to a Hymer. Either way, congratulations.

Maybe there will be at least two of us at Quartzite next year!
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If it still works like it used to, you would apply to provincial and federal tax agencies for a refund of taxes paid. You need certain paperwork to do that. The company they are using to import the trailer to the US should have that information, if they are doing their job.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:51 AM   #43

California
Registry
Now how do we make this happen...?

Old 07-03-2019, 11:37 AM   #44

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJohn View Post

Hear, hear!
Old 07-03-2019, 05:04 PM   #45

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
LOL! I second that. I just paid for mine today. I have to travel to Buffalo in a couple weeks to pick it up.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #46

Registry
Quote:
Wow, going from an Oxygen to a Hymer... You're my kinda nut! Welcome.

We've got a good community building on the Facebook group, but I've been a little disappointed more Hymer types aren't participating here on a more traditional forum. Maybe that will change with longtime members like you switching gears to a Hymer. Either way, congratulations.

Maybe there will be at least two of us at Quartzite next year!

I loved my Oxygen it just wasn't made for two older folks. I cant wait to sleep in that king sized bed.

Will definitely be at Quartzsite in February.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #47

California
I found a handful of issues with our new trailer, most of which will be shortly corrected. All drains seem to be intact, which seems to have been a common complaint. Sicard told me the PEX lines were pressure tested for leaks but I have no way to verify that and we haven't hooked up to city water yet. Fingers crossed!

First issue is that there is no cutout switch for the fridge, which is a 12v/120v compressor fridge. If the battery is on, the fridge is on. Conveniently, the switch panel on the side of the counter that controls lighting only has 3 out of 4 spots used. I think I've identified the switches used, Legrand Adorne 1/2-gang paddle switch: https://www.amazon.com/Adorne-Single...SWAFKXJYDFPG4F

Second issue is the brackets holding the fridge in place. The 1/2" screws attaching the brackets to the cabinetry had both come loose, and the only thing holding them in place was the lack of clearance between the cabinet and the fridge itself. The cabinetry they are secured to is 1/2" veneered plywood, and the screw holes are nearly egged out. I'll replace these with bolts, washers, and nylon lock nuts. I attached a photo of the brackets. The one on the left may prove problematic as it is right under the clasp mechanism for the false front for the counter.

The third issue, and the one I am still trying to wrap my head around, is the air conditioner. This has been a common issue, but it appears that not only has mine been installed without a filter--the intake is partially blocked! When I open up the vent, I can look in and see about an inch of the intake exposed. The rest is covered up by what I guess you could call a firring strip that is attached to the floor, and to which the base of the cabinets are screwed into. (Second attachment, please excuse the crude drawing.) The only way I can think of right now to remedy this is to drop the A/C unit and use a jigsaw to shave off some of the firring strip, but I am in no way interested in or capable of dropping the A/C. Accessing from the top would mean completely dismantling the countertop area and I would never hear the end of that!

Edit to add: After looking at another owner's picture of the same area, it looks like the A/C was just installed about 3 inches too far forward. I will have to look into getting the whole mess repositioned down the line.

Those issues aside, we are happy with our new trailer and it will serve us well for the short trips we are able to take now. I am not seeing some of the other quality issues some owners have mentioned, though they may show themselves with time.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190707_101908.jpg   IMG_20190707_100612.jpg  

Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:54 PM   #48

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Will definitely be at Quartzsite in February.
Steve,

First we missed the chance to see your Oxygen at Tahoe, and now we have to go all the way to Quartzsite to see your Hymer! Oh wait, we are already planning to be at Quartzsite. Never mind. See you there.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:06 PM   #49

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Steve,

First we missed the chance to see your Oxygen at Tahoe, and now we have to go all the way to Quartzsite to see your Hymer! Oh wait, we are already planning to be at Quartzsite. Never mind. See you there.
I hope so.

Also I thought of you when I see all those fiberglass camper bodies sitting in rows waiting for the auction. I think it would be cool to take one and plant it on a beefed up off road frame. It would make a pretty cool 4 wheeler bug out type trailer.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
I found a handful of issues with our new trailer, most of which will be shortly corrected. All drains seem to be intact, which seems to have been a common complaint. Sicard told me the PEX lines were pressure tested for leaks but I have no way to verify that and we haven't hooked up to city water yet. Fingers crossed!

First issue is that there is no cutout switch for the fridge, which is a 12v/120v compressor fridge. If the battery is on, the fridge is on. Conveniently, the switch panel on the side of the counter that controls lighting only has 3 out of 4 spots used. I think I've identified the switches used, Legrand Adorne 1/2-gang paddle switch: https://www.amazon.com/Adorne-Single...SWAFKXJYDFPG4F

Second issue is the brackets holding the fridge in place. The 1/2" screws attaching the brackets to the cabinetry had both come loose, and the only thing holding them in place was the lack of clearance between the cabinet and the fridge itself. The cabinetry they are secured to is 1/2" veneered plywood, and the screw holes are nearly egged out. I'll replace these with bolts, washers, and nylon lock nuts. I attached a photo of the brackets. The one on the left may prove problematic as it is right under the clasp mechanism for the false front for the counter.

The third issue, and the one I am still trying to wrap my head around, is the air conditioner. This has been a common issue, but it appears that not only has mine been installed without a filter--the intake is partially blocked! When I open up the vent, I can look in and see about an inch of the intake exposed. The rest is covered up by what I guess you could call a firring strip that is attached to the floor, and to which the base of the cabinets are screwed into. (Second attachment, please excuse the crude drawing.) The only way I can think of right now to remedy this is to drop the A/C unit and use a jigsaw to shave off some of the firring strip, but I am in no way interested in or capable of dropping the A/C. Accessing from the top would mean completely dismantling the countertop area and I would never hear the end of that!

Edit to add: After looking at another owner's picture of the same area, it looks like the A/C was just installed about 3 inches too far forward. I will have to look into getting the whole mess repositioned down the line.

Those issues aside, we are happy with our new trailer and it will serve us well for the short trips we are able to take now. I am not seeing some of the other quality issues some owners have mentioned, though they may show themselves with time.
Thank you Justus,
You've been a big help trouble shooting and sharing what I have to look forward to. The 22nd is coming up soon.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #51

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
I hope so.

Also I thought of you when I see all those fiberglass camper bodies sitting in rows waiting for the auction. I think it would be cool to take one and plant it on a beefed up off road frame. It would make a pretty cool 4 wheeler bug out type trailer.
That's a great idea! The new Hymer "MAX" off-road trailer! "Designed in Australia, built in Canada, for the American West!" Love it!

Sitting on an undercarriage like this: And being towed with a hitch like this:
Attached Thumbnails
0.jpg   Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 9.12.59 AM.jpg  

Old 07-07-2019, 08:55 PM   #52

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:

Unfortunately you can't. There's a number of all-molded-towable trailers missing off the list. The software is broken that is used for the Home Page, has been for a very long time.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:01 AM   #53

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Unfortunately you can't. There's a number of all-molded-towable trailers missing off the list. The software is broken that is used for the Home Page, has been for a very long time.
That's a pity.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:06 AM   #54

Registry
Quote:
That's a pity.

Thanks for the reply.
At first I thought no biggie we can always use the Eriba site, Guess what? No Eriba site!
Old 07-08-2019, 09:09 AM   #55

California
Registry
Quote:
Brilliant idea. Even if you used more conventional frame and suspension, you could still make it a lot more rugged.

I'd love to get one of those shells if the price was right. The shipping cost to SoCal would probably be prohibitive, though.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #56

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
At first I thought no biggie we can always use the Eriba site, Guess what? No Eriba site!
Here? It's because the Eriba isn't an all-molded-towable. Aluminum body, fiberglass pop-top.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:32 AM   #57

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Brilliant idea. Even if you used more conventional frame and suspension, you could still make it a lot more rugged.

I'd love to get one of those shells if the price was right. The shipping cost to SoCal would probably be prohibitive, though.
I was trying to see how the floor and frame were arranged on the bare bodies. Do they have any of that? Or is it really just the body. They could be set on a flatbed utility trailer for shipping, but it's a long way to SoCal.

I still haven't figured out why they went out of business after making such a big commitment.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #58

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Just Google "Hymer bankruptcy".
You'll find lots of info.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #59

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Just Google "Hymer bankruptcy".
You'll find lots of info.
Thanks Glenn, that is quite a story. "financial irregularities"

Fake invoices and VIN numbers to the tune of $10M. Thor backed out from buying them and crash! Road Trek disappears too. Turns out they were not an authorized Mercedes upfitter, so Mercedes may not honor warranties related to chassis electrical. 800 people fired.

So, it seems Hymer came over from Germany, bought Road Trek, started making Hymer trailers, and built up the appearance of a very successful manufacturer, with the intention of selling the whole company. Thor wanted to buy, but discovered financial irregularities and backed out. Now, it's all being liquidated. Road Trek got destroyed in the process.

Geee, how many times has this sort of thing happened?
Old 07-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #60

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post

So, it seems Hymer came over from Germany, bought Road Trek, started making Hymer trailers, and built up the appearance of a very successful manufacturer, with the intention of selling the whole company. Thor wanted to buy, but discovered financial irregularities and backed out. Now, it's all being liquidated. Road Trek got destroyed in the process.

Geee, how many times has this sort of thing happened?
Roadtrek as a brand might actually come out of this:
https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...886496857.html

The camper van market is hot enough to make the line attractive. The North American pop top fiberglass trailer market? Not so much.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hymer