I-90 to the left coast - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2006, 06:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I'm a flatlander header shortly for the west coast via I-90; first time through. I am assuming by the big blue line that it is probably both smoother and lower than the Trans-Canada or Crow's Nest route through the Rockies. Is this the case? The gas is certainly cheaper - looks like aprox. 30%. Route info appreciated.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:06 AM   #2

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Quote:
I'm a flatlander header shortly for the west coast via I-90; first time through. I am assuming by the big blue line that it is probably both smoother and lower than the Trans-Canada or Crow's Nest route through the Rockies. Is this the case? The gas is certainly cheaper - looks like aprox. 30%. Route info appreciated.
Hi, ya, Cam!
Confirmation needed, are you speaking of I-90 that is in the US? If so, I live near it and would certainly offer up a free night of camping at my home. I have a porte cochere so you camper would be protected. Or, I do have some fav campgrounds in the area if you'd prefer that.
PM or email me.
I-90 in Minnesota and all the way across South Dakota are flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. You will get great gas mileage on this stretch if the wind isn't against you. When I go to Colorado, I sometimes drop south in Nebraska and see those gorgeous sandhills.
Have a great trip!
Gigi
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the offer, Gigi, however, I hope to hit Williston, ND or nearabouts my first night out, going across 2 until Montana-ish; West of you, I think. I am looking for info on the mountain pass situation.
Cam
Old 07-05-2006, 10:50 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
You asked.

I plotted between Billings, MT and Seattle, WA.
Min elevation 3,205 ft.
Max elevation 4,840 ft.
Climb 3,290 ft
Elevation gain 680 ft.

Climb is the total about of up after a few downs.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

This pdf file shows the I-90 and it's elevation profile.

Is this what you wanted to know?
Old 07-05-2006, 11:16 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
Max elevation 4,840 ft.
Thats about how high I live, and I tug up it coming home almost every trip out.

I START at 1000 feet tho, and get to 4500 in 12 miles..

I think you will be just fine
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:13 AM   #6

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Hey, Cam, I gathered that may be what you were looking to do. Some like to cross straight west of where I am.

Any details on your trip would be great. I'm thinking about taking a trip out to Wyoming and Montana to meet up with some artist friends. It would be a dream to explore that country! Will you be traveling through the Badlands of North Dakota, then? I've never seen them and wondered how they compare to the South Dakota lands. Have you a blog?

Good luck!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:15 AM   #7

Thanks, Byron, that was exactly what I was after. You're right Gina, all will be well.
Cam
Old 07-06-2006, 09:22 AM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Here's information os I-90 in Washington http://www.phenry.org/wsh/i90.html

Here's information about the entire highway - coast-to-coast http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=Interstate%2090

I couldn't find anything useful about I-90 in Idaho or Montana

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:29 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Thanks, Byron, that was exactly what I was after. You're right Gina, all will be well.
Cam
Glad I could be of service.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Hi Cam,

From my own personal experience on all three of these highways, I think you are making the right choice. The TransCanada through the middle of BC is a somewhat treacherous 2-lane road for most of it and the Crows Nest Highway is, well, high and scary imo. I-90 is 4 lane all the way and the pass is not too bad at all. Don't get me wrong, I love BC (I am a Canadian, formerly from Wpg, now living near Seattle), it is beautiful to travel through but the roads are a little lacking in spots.

Good luck and have fun.

BTW Montana is spectacular!
Tracy
Tracy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 Scamp Side Dinette 16 ft / 2006 Honda Pilot
I live in Western Massachusetts. When I go over the Berkshire Mountains (old and worn down compared to the real mountains of the west), there is a sign that says that it is the highest point, at less than 2000', until a point in North Dakota. I have taken 90 to Chicago, but then have always headed south. From here to Chicago is flat, flat, flat. Much of the terrain is the compression of the last ice age. Actually, pretty boring. Real good stuff north and south of it , however.

Quote:
Hi Cam,

From my own personal experience on all three of these highways, I think you are making the right choice. The TransCanada through the middle of BC is a somewhat treacherous 2-lane road for most of it and the Crows Nest Highway is, well, high and scary imo. I-90 is 4 lane all the way and the pass is not too bad at all. Don't get me wrong, I love BC (I am a Canadian, formerly from Wpg, now living near Seattle), it is beautiful to travel through but the roads are a little lacking in spots.

Good luck and have fun.

BTW Montana is spectacular!
Tracy
RonnieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #12

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Cam,
There's a great book called Mountain Directory with all the major highways and any significant elevation gains and losses marked on a map and described in the book. We found it very helpful as newbies (and former flatlanders ). You can buy it at Mountain Directory or at Camping World, they have an East and West version.
Happy Trails,
Dave & Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote