I am now a Scamp 19' Deluxe Owner - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
nikljones's Avatar
 
Name: Nick
Trailer: 2012 Lance 1885
Oregon
Posts: 151
I am now a Scamp 19' Deluxe Owner

I just purchased a Scamp 19' Deluxe. It's ready to go but I won't pick it up until 3/28 as I travel west. I now am officially excited and scared to death. Never have pulled anything near that size before (and it's small). But all things being equal it is great to have the FINAL decision made.

Thanks all for your encouragement. Now I get to go shopping so I can outfit it properly, starting with a brake controller for my truck.

Pictures up when I get them for sure.

Nick
__________________

__________________
nikljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Voodoo's Avatar
 
Name: Jason
Trailer: soon to be in the market
Nevada
Posts: 25
Congrats Nick!
__________________

__________________
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Posts: 799
I can just imagine how exciting and scary it feels but I can't wait for the photos and to hear just how easy it is to tow. I worked for a stick-built manufacturer that sold factory direct and people arrived having never towed and after a 1/2 hour of instruction, drove off on the adventure that were dreaming of and only saw one that drove off weary of the whole situation and these units were among the heaviest on the market and long. They were only factory direct also. I also saw a couple who pulled a 13' Scamp with a Pinto! One thing I would do is keep a close watch on the weather as you travel since it is still March but you probably already know that.
__________________
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
nikljones's Avatar
 
Name: Nick
Trailer: 2012 Lance 1885
Oregon
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
I can just imagine how exciting and scary it feels but I can't wait for the photos and to hear just how easy it is to tow. I worked for a stick-built manufacturer that sold factory direct and people arrived having never towed and after a 1/2 hour of instruction, drove off on the adventure that were dreaming of and only saw one that drove off weary of the whole situation and these units were among the heaviest on the market and long. They were only factory direct also. I also saw a couple who pulled a 13' Scamp with a Pinto! One thing I would do is keep a close watch on the weather as you travel since it is still March but you probably already know that.
Thanks. Yep I watch the weather pretty closely. I've traveled all over the USA and have come up against some pretty nasty weather at times. This will be the first time towing a TT though so even more wary. I have towed uhauls in blinding snow though. Now that was scary but much scarier to stop.
__________________
nikljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Robin G's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Posts: 3,440
OH Congrat's! Enjoy! And yes do post pic's when you get them.




Towing isn't hard, it's backing up that can be. But once you find the formula that works for you, it really isn't that hard to do either. ( my Mom was a great teacher, I don't know what it is she said to me but it made sense and it worked) I had towed many things over the years, but my Dad, Brother, DH would always back it up. So I never learned till I bought the Casita. My Mom spent some time out in the pasture with me, talking me thru how to back it up into the barn. I got it, so much so, I back it up by myself now. Rather not have help. I just do it. So give yourself some practice time and eventually you will get it. They say a 5'er is much easier to back up! Least that is what my Dad, Brother and DH have always said. Good luck but most of all enjoy!
__________________
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Adrian W's Avatar
 
Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Posts: 1,185
Hola! from Las Cruces, New Mexico. Congrats! I can understand being excited about having one & getting to use it.

My son towed a 30+ foot Fifth Wheel for several years. He really liked the way they towed & the easy of backing them, etc. Shouldn't be scared, maybe a little cautious until you get the hand of the 'thing'.

Enjoy!

DesertHawk
2005 16' Scamp with Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head.
__________________
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Congratulatons Nick, I know it was a long road to get to your purchase. May your future travels be wonderful and full of great memories.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,142
That's wonderful, Nick. Enjoy your new rv!
__________________
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
Member
 
Ken Jr's Avatar
 
Name: Ken
Trailer: 84BigFoot 5th 2002 travelaire 5th wheel
Alaska
Posts: 84
Registry
Congratulation Nick
__________________
Ken Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
Member
 
Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
Posts: 85
Just make sure that when you are backing into your campsite that the front of your truck is never pointing directly at the front of your FW trailer. Not good.

Seriously though, I have a friend who tows a huge fifth wheeler and I swear he could drive that thing down the highway in reverse at 60 MPH. Practice and you'll be fine.
__________________
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Posts: 944
If you head off across ND it should be a gentle introduction to pulling your rig. Of course you could learn all about head and side wind at the same time.

camping is available at Theodore Roosevelt Natl Park. No hookups, I think only $5. If you haven't been there it is worth stopping. Nice drive through the park and we enjoy hiking there.

Must be nice to have everything settled.

Safe travels.

Nancy
__________________
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
nikljones's Avatar
 
Name: Nick
Trailer: 2012 Lance 1885
Oregon
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Jones View Post
Just make sure that when you are backing into your campsite that the front of your truck is never pointing directly at the front of your FW trailer. Not good.

Seriously though, I have a friend who tows a huge fifth wheeler and I swear he could drive that thing down the highway in reverse at 60 MPH. Practice and you'll be fine.
Thanks. Yep plan to do a lot of practicing. I can go forward just fine it's just that backing that always gave me trouble. Thanks.
__________________
nikljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Tim Wood's Avatar
 
Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Posts: 747
Congrats Nick, You will be amazed on how easy that is to tow.
__________________
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
nikljones's Avatar
 
Name: Nick
Trailer: 2012 Lance 1885
Oregon
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
If you head off across ND it should be a gentle introduction to pulling your rig. Of course you could learn all about head and side wind at the same time.

camping is available at Theodore Roosevelt Natl Park. No hookups, I think only $5. If you haven't been there it is worth stopping. Nice drive through the park and we enjoy hiking there.

Must be nice to have everything settled.

Safe travels.

Nancy
Yep that's the direction I'll be heading. Need to get to Oregon and get it registered though I won't be in a big rush. I just have to get to California by 4/19 for my grand daughters birthday.

Thanks.
__________________

__________________
nikljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Scamp owner! Jodeet Hi, I am.... 7 10-31-2011 11:45 PM
New Scamp Owner BigMike Hi, I am.... 3 05-06-2011 05:00 PM
New Scamp owner & New member. 1992 Scamp 16 project LanM Hi, I am.... 16 01-31-2011 09:05 PM
New Scamp owner Danielle Ash Modifications, Alterations and Updates 24 12-20-2010 02:27 PM
New Scamp owner charliej General Chat 4 01-26-2010 11:24 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.