I am now a Scamp 19' Deluxe Owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #1

Name: Nick
Trailer: OutdoorsRV
Texas
I am now a Scamp 19' Deluxe Owner

I just purchased a Scamp 19' Deluxe. It's ready to go but I won't pick it up until 3/28 as I travel west. I now am officially excited and scared to death. Never have pulled anything near that size before (and it's small). But all things being equal it is great to have the FINAL decision made.

Thanks all for your encouragement. Now I get to go shopping so I can outfit it properly, starting with a brake controller for my truck.

Pictures up when I get them for sure.

Nick
Rvicsvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #2

Name: Jason
Trailer: soon to be in the market
Nevada
Congrats Nick!
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I can just imagine how exciting and scary it feels but I can't wait for the photos and to hear just how easy it is to tow. I worked for a stick-built manufacturer that sold factory direct and people arrived having never towed and after a 1/2 hour of instruction, drove off on the adventure that were dreaming of and only saw one that drove off weary of the whole situation and these units were among the heaviest on the market and long. They were only factory direct also. I also saw a couple who pulled a 13' Scamp with a Pinto! One thing I would do is keep a close watch on the weather as you travel since it is still March but you probably already know that.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #4

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
I can just imagine how exciting and scary it feels but I can't wait for the photos and to hear just how easy it is to tow. I worked for a stick-built manufacturer that sold factory direct and people arrived having never towed and after a 1/2 hour of instruction, drove off on the adventure that were dreaming of and only saw one that drove off weary of the whole situation and these units were among the heaviest on the market and long. They were only factory direct also. I also saw a couple who pulled a 13' Scamp with a Pinto! One thing I would do is keep a close watch on the weather as you travel since it is still March but you probably already know that.
Thanks. Yep I watch the weather pretty closely. I've traveled all over the USA and have come up against some pretty nasty weather at times. This will be the first time towing a TT though so even more wary. I have towed uhauls in blinding snow though. Now that was scary but much scarier to stop.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
OH Congrat's! Enjoy! And yes do post pic's when you get them.

Towing isn't hard, it's backing up that can be. But once you find the formula that works for you, it really isn't that hard to do either. ( my Mom was a great teacher, I don't know what it is she said to me but it made sense and it worked) I had towed many things over the years, but my Dad, Brother, DH would always back it up. So I never learned till I bought the Casita. My Mom spent some time out in the pasture with me, talking me thru how to back it up into the barn. I got it, so much so, I back it up by myself now. Rather not have help. I just do it. So give yourself some practice time and eventually you will get it. They say a 5'er is much easier to back up! Least that is what my Dad, Brother and DH have always said. Good luck but most of all enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
ĦHola! from Las Cruces, New Mexico. Congrats! I can understand being excited about having one & getting to use it.

My son towed a 30+ foot Fifth Wheel for several years. He really liked the way they towed & the easy of backing them, etc. Shouldn't be scared, maybe a little cautious until you get the hand of the 'thing'.

Enjoy!

DesertHawk
2005 16' Scamp with Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Congratulatons Nick, I know it was a long road to get to your purchase. May your future travels be wonderful and full of great memories.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
That's wonderful, Nick. Enjoy your new rv!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #9

Name: Ken
Trailer: 84BigFoot 5th 2002 travelaire 5th wheel
Alaska
Registry
Congratulation Nick
Ken Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #10

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
Just make sure that when you are backing into your campsite that the front of your truck is never pointing directly at the front of your FW trailer. Not good.

Seriously though, I have a friend who tows a huge fifth wheeler and I swear he could drive that thing down the highway in reverse at 60 MPH. Practice and you'll be fine.
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
If you head off across ND it should be a gentle introduction to pulling your rig. Of course you could learn all about head and side wind at the same time.

camping is available at Theodore Roosevelt Natl Park. No hookups, I think only $5. If you haven't been there it is worth stopping. Nice drive through the park and we enjoy hiking there.

Must be nice to have everything settled.

Safe travels.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #12

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Jones View Post
Just make sure that when you are backing into your campsite that the front of your truck is never pointing directly at the front of your FW trailer. Not good.

Seriously though, I have a friend who tows a huge fifth wheeler and I swear he could drive that thing down the highway in reverse at 60 MPH. Practice and you'll be fine.
Thanks. Yep plan to do a lot of practicing. I can go forward just fine it's just that backing that always gave me trouble. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Congrats Nick, You will be amazed on how easy that is to tow.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #14

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
If you head off across ND it should be a gentle introduction to pulling your rig. Of course you could learn all about head and side wind at the same time.

camping is available at Theodore Roosevelt Natl Park. No hookups, I think only $5. If you haven't been there it is worth stopping. Nice drive through the park and we enjoy hiking there.

Must be nice to have everything settled.

Safe travels.

Nancy
Yep that's the direction I'll be heading. Need to get to Oregon and get it registered though I won't be in a big rush. I just have to get to California by 4/19 for my grand daughters birthday.

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hey, Nick... change your profile
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #16

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hey, Nick... change your profile
Action taken.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Nick, here's some stuff I have on North Dakota Camping Sites *** Some neat things in the Bismarck and Mandan Area ND Also *** T. Roosevelt North

If you will be using I-84 and/or I-86 near Pocatello, Idaho, Massacre Rocks State Park is A Nice Place 10 mi. W. of American Falls, Idaho. A neat campg'nd overlooking the Snake River in Southeastern Idaho (landscape reminds me of New Mexico & AZ). I-86, Exit 28. We camped there a few days in a MH some years ago. Later, I helped a friend drive a moving van from Las Cruces to Vancover, WA. We drove I-84, West of Pocatello to Portland, following the Oregan Trail somewhat all the way on an Interstate. Many, many places to see and camp, a neat drive. I would like to do a slow RV trip along it someday. Google: Oregon Trail National Historic Trail *** Emigrant Springs *** Deschutes River * You Might find more places to see.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #18

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikljones View Post
I just purchased a Scamp 19' Deluxe. It's ready to go but I won't pick it up until 3/28 as I travel west.
Nick
Nick, glad you decided what you want. I'm still almost decided but not sure. Mine depends on how soon and how the finances are going when the time comes. Around three years ago, I noticed one while headed east on I-30. So I hit the next exit and circled around to look at it. At that time, I wasn't even looking, but I made several photos and got some good ideas for the future. They sold it for $5000.

Take photos and enjoy the ride!!

Don

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:11 AM   #19
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Good for you. I saw the inside of a Scamp for the first time last summer. Very nice. Which floor plan did you get? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #20

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
Nick, here's some stuff I have on North Dakota Camping Sites *** Some neat things in the Bismarck and Mandan Area ND Also *** T. Roosevelt North

If you will be using I-84 and/or I-86 near Pocatello, Idaho, Massacre Rocks State Park is A Nice Place 10 mi. W. of American Falls, Idaho. A neat campg'nd overlooking the Snake River in Southeastern Idaho (landscape reminds me of New Mexico & AZ). I-86, Exit 28. We camped there a few days in a MH some years ago. Later, I helped a friend drive a moving van from Las Cruces to Vancover, WA. We drove I-84, West of Pocatello to Portland, following the Oregan Trail somewhat all the way on an Interstate. Many, many places to see and camp, a neat drive. I would like to do a slow RV trip along it someday. Google: Oregon Trail National Historic Trail *** Emigrant Springs *** Deschutes River * You Might find more places to see.
Thank you for the info. Looks useful and it has been saved for my trip.

Tags
scamp