I am so disgusted... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #1

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
I am so disgusted...

So, I am searching for a Casita. The scams out there are very discouraging, I would say 1/2 of the ads are scams. It's absolutely out of control. I do more flagging than finding. Please let me know if you see any Casitas 17 foot deluxes for the 6 to 9000$ range. I don't want one that has been overly modified or all electric. Must have air and a full bathroom, no porta potty. I would go to all surrounding states. Must be in good condition. Thanks guys!
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
I soooooooo hear ya. Last summer when I was desperately looking for a Scamp 13 I ran into the same problem. It's more than frustrating. What I dont understand is that Fiberglass RV shoppers are really a small niche so why on earth are the scammers bothering with such a narrow potential victim pool??
Old 01-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #3

Iowa
It just scares me for older people who aren't very internet savvy and more trusting. Or just anyone who falls for it. Like i said, i get a big charge out of making sure i flag them one way or another. It is so slim pickins now anyway especially in my area and price range. I know i need to be patient and one will pop up but I wish i had an egg to play in on nice days. Is there anything more fun than organizing and cleaning a new camper?
Old 01-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #4

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
We just absolutely lucked into finding the one we wanted. Your turn should come soon. Its just a matter of keeping your eyes peeled and jumping quick when you see what you want.

Best of luck

Denece
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #5

Name: Bill
Trailer: Trails West
Illinois
Scammers aren't necessarily targeting fg lovers. It's just that these are the ads we look at. I'm sure there are plenty of other scams for big ticket items.
Bill K Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Scammers probably put out hundreds of ads just to find one poor sucker who didn't know better. If they applied the same effort to honest labor they could probably earn a better living and keep their self-respect too. Maybe the scammers are the real suckers.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #7

Iowa
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Scammers probably put out hundreds of ads just to find one poor sucker who didn't know better. If they applied the same effort to honest labor they could probably earn a better living and keep their self-respect too. Maybe the scammers are the real suckers.
I totally agree. Can you imagine how good they might be at a regular job if they just applied the same amount of effort?
Old 01-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #8

Name: Mary
Trailer: Considering a casita
Nebraska
I hear you on luck ... I wasn't looking for a fiberglass RV at all ... had only seen 1 my entire life and I placed a "wanted small 14' or less camper" on craigslist and the only person who replied had a Casita. I actually had to ask her what it was.

Guess I lucked out because her husband happened to see the ad, they wanted to sell theirs to make room for their boat since they don't use it much and hadn't gotten around to advertising.

Went and looked at it today and it was perfect for me. You'll find yours ... just don't settle ... I was prepared to walk away from this if it wasn't nearly perfect. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Hard to find anything decent around here though because no one wants to go to northeast Nebraska to camp.
nebraskama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
So, Mary, congratulations are in order on your new Casita! Glad you found what your were looking for!
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #10

Iowa
Thanks guys, Mary i am so happy for you! Post inside pics!
Old 01-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebraskama View Post

Hard to find anything decent around here though because no one wants to go to northeast Nebraska to camp.

I went to Omaha to get my 13' Trillium (750 miles). I wasn't looking for a particular brand, just one in decent shape.

Be patient sfoss, obviously yours hasn't found you yet. It will!
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #12

Iowa
Patient isn't in my vocabulary. That's the majority of my problem! I must have flagged 10 items in the last two hours. But surprisingly enough there are people with bigger problems so i just need to sit back and relax. I am waiting for a fella from Montana to send me pics of his friends camper that he is trying to help him sell. Apparently his friend bought it last year and his wife found out she had ovarian cancer so they never got to use it. I called the number i had for him and found him on a cell phone at the hospital. It's just so sad. So relax and wait i will do happily. Poor guy.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #13

Name: Mary
Trailer: Considering a casita
Nebraska
shelly .. I use searchtempest.com to search craigslist ... is that what you do?
nebraskama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #14

Iowa
No mary i haven't tried that one, i did see here on the site where someone recommended a link to search Craigslist by state, so have been doing that lately which is a much bigger help than going in and out of towns. Thanks M i will try that and see what i come up with.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #15

Iowa
Thanks Mary, nothing new except a few scams. I will keep it in my favorites and use it to double check things from time to time. Its been so cold i bet you haven't got to go out to play in your new camper. But you did luck out and get a new dog so that will keep you busy today.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #16

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Have you joined the casitaforum.com and casitaclub.com? Both have listings for Casitas. Checking Craigslist is good. This is another site, car and truck site mash : combined site search. When I found my used Casita I happened across it on a website that listed used trailers with no cost to the sellers or buyers. Can't remember which one is was now but check those sort of places, too. Not everyone who wants to sell a Casita knows about the fiberglasrv or casita forums.
Jean Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Is this the one, Jean?
Casita Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #18

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Mike, that is a public site that lists Fiberglass trailers. Casita has a sperific forum for owners, and also has a For Sale section. When you're a member of the specific site, you have better chance of seeing Casitas.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Mike, that is a public site that lists Fiberglass trailers.
Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale is owned by a member Greg A. Greg was a member of this forum long before he started the website. The site is an excellent source for buyers
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #20

Iowa
Been to that one. It's a good one, just haven't seen one yet.