I BOUGHT THE PERRIS PACER! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #15

Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
I'm printing all these wonderful hints out and putting them in a binder (organizationally anal!---which is good when you have a little fiberglass camper!)

Mapquest shows us going under (that would be south to geography geeks) Colorado. However, DH hasn't had a chance to sit with his maps and Garmin and think this through (poor guy, he just got done downloading info going EAST to NC.) I called him this morning, he came home at lunch, took one look at my face, and said "Get it"!

Boy, I'm gonna have to rethink what I'm packing. When going to 4 Paws Kingdom, all we needed was linens and towels (we were going to buy food there at Walmart!) Duct tape and tools, huh? You guys are scaring me!

Seriously, thanks for the kind words and well-wishes!

Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I can't imagine a better reason to change vacation plans. Congratulations!! And yes please, we'd love to see some pictures.... with a big ole grin on your face

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Vickie, don't be scared! Be excited! The tools are only for if something happens. Just a few things, kinda like a CYA tool kit. You don't have to have a whole garage of tools. Duct tape, will hold anything together till you can get it repaired. One of the last camping trips we were on, out of 40 some people we were camping with. I was the only one who didn't use my roll of duct tape. One guy borrowed it so many times he was like, I am gonna get you another roll when I go into town. It just comes in handy. As far as food, you can pick that up on the road if you decide to eat at a campsite. If you pull into a campsite and you have to back in, don't be afraid to ask for help. Most rv'ers are kind people and willing to lend a hand. You will get to meet a lot of nice people along the way. Enjoy!

So now that you have your egg, does that mean you will be attending the South Dakota Rally?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:20 PM   #18

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Congratulations! If you look at my post about what to bring with you don't panic, I was talking about picking up a junker!

The most important thing to bring is your sense of adventure and fun! ...oh and a credit card. :0)
Old 08-26-2009, 10:49 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
Yes, Lizbeth, I did read your post. Yikes! I even put it in my favorites, so I could go back and take notes. I did calm down when I realized you were going to be towing something "not quite perfect."

God Bless duct tape--I have a friend who made a tote bag out of duct tape. Pretty cute.

For those who have already graciously extended invitations: we ARE going through Colorado (that first mapquest route was stupid-2 lane roads.) So, who knows---you may see me.

Now I'll go click on the South Dakota Rally and see what's up with that!

Old 08-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #20

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Couple of notes here:

1) I wouldn't take the advice of the current owner for sure on the ball size. I've been told wrong before. Of course if you don't already own both sizes, you can always wait and then pick up the right one at a Wal-Mart or something nearby. But do look at the coupler to see if you can find the right size stamped on it yourself.

2) The trip permit is something that some states offer so that you can transport a vehicle home that is not licensed by you yet. I have had sellers let me take a trailer with their plates still on it, and that does usually keep you from getting stopped, but it's not totally proper. Many people will not give you their plates to use, and/or they may not have had the trailer registered, and thus have no plates.

If *your* state offers a trip permit (they may not, or they may call it something else), then it's something you can buy (generally good for something like three days from the date on the bill of sale, but that depends on state) that is like a temporary license plate. The one I have bought is something I found online at my state's DOT website, registered and paid for by credit card, and then printed out on paper from my computer and taped in the rear window. It was for cars or trailers.

(Note: I looked on the NE DOT website and don't see such an animal. If it were me, I would contact someone at the NE vehicle licensing office, and tell them you are buying a trailer from out of state, and find out what you need in the way of paperwork. Take the name of the person you talk to, and their extension number.)

I don't think an Arizona trip permit would be what you would want; since you are a Nebraska resident, and will license the trailer in NE, I would just make sure to have a copy of the bill of sale with you, and the title if there is one (since there is no NE trip permit). Ask the seller ahead of time if they have a clear title IN THEIR NAME, so that you know. If they don't have one, you might check with the AZ DOT To see if they are a state that does not license trailers of the gross weight of the Pacer (so you know what you should be getting from seller).

Note that if AZ does not title trailers of that size, you should make sure to get the PO's last registration slip (or check with NE - many states will want that if no title).

Fun trip ahead!

Raya
Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 PM   #21

Nebraska
Registry
Holy crap, Batman, if it's this picky to get a trailer from AZ to NE, what's it like to go from Canada to US????

Guess I'll be on the phone tomorrow! Thankfully, one of the many positives that caught my eye in the write up of this camper is: "Seller has clear Arizona title, in his name." Somehow, I knew this would be a good thing!
Old 08-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Holy crap, Batman, if it's this picky to get a trailer from AZ to NE, what's it like to go from Canada to US???!
Well it was a bit tricky the first time, because I didn't know the ropes. The second time was a relative snap

What I took away from the experience (for an older trailer; newer is different) is that it's all in what YOUR state is going to want when you go to title or register the trailer. I could have brought 50 trailers in to the US in an afternoon as far as the US border was concerned, but getting them titled in my state came with a whole list of forms, procedures, and etc. Not that it was so hard, but it was picky, and they gave me wrong information the first time I called (luckily, the PO's up in Winnipeg were helpful, so we got it sorted out; but I was sweating for a few days).

Some states are pretty lax, it seems, while others are sticklers. So check with yours. And do take names

Raya
Old 08-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #23

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
Holy crap, Batman, if it's this picky to get a trailer from AZ to NE, what's it like to go from Canada to US????

Guess I'll be on the phone tomorrow! Thankfully, one of the many positives that caught my eye in the write up of this camper is: "Seller has clear Arizona title, in his name." Somehow, I knew this would be a good thing!
Vickie,

AZ does indeed title trailers, but the process for you is very simple. I bought my current Casita from a private owner in AZ, so I know the drill.

The link I gave you tells you how to handle the title transfer. Your seller said on eBay he had a clear title in his name, so you'll need to verify that (name, VIN, no lien...). Then you'll need to go to a notary because his signature must be notarized.

Then you'll need to go to the web site (the link Alan provided) and buy the 30 day temporary permit. In AZ, the tags stay with the seller, so you must have the permit as temporary tags; tape it on the inside of the rear window. It only costs a few bucks and you print it out yourself (the seller will no doubt let you use his computer).

It's all easy and you should concentrate on having fun.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #24

Hi Morgan,

I guess it didn't occur to me that one could get a temporary tag from the state one is buying from. I had figured it had to be "your" state. But live and learn! Thanks

Raya
Old 08-27-2009, 11:02 AM   #25

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Quote:
Congratulations Vickie, you will enjoy your new cute little egg immensely!

Actually, when we bought our Escape in Canada we simply did all the necessary paperwork to cross the border (with guidance from Reace and Tammy) and brought it home, all we had was the bill of sale, but we registered it the next day in WA. No trip permit, etc. You will be traveling more days so finding out all the ins and outs is a good idea.

When we sold our 13' Burro, as small and simple as it was it took 2 -3 hours to go over everything with the new, first-time owners, who drove from Idaho to pick it up. So plan on plenty of time. We had a check list to go over so hopefully the current owners will have a list of things to tell you. Since our buyers were new owners, my husband was very careful to explain about the propane system, electric system, water tank, etc. None of this is complicated, but most folks buying a trailer for the first time are not familiar with the basics of propane (unless you happen to live rural!).

I agree, you only need the basics mentioned - bedding, pots and pans, plates & bowls, silverware, dish soap, some towels, etc. Matches are a good idea! You won't really know what you want to be cozy until you get it - for example, if the existing cushions aren't as comfortable as you need you might want to stop somewhere and buy a simple foam mattress pad. Just plan a 'shopping' day, or few hours, somewhere en route. Part of the fun of a trailer is having a 'mini' home for 'nesting' - we hit up a JC Penney's sale and got some bedding, towels, little rugs, etc.

The name Perris Pacer always fascinates me, wonder if anyone on the forum can tell you some history?

Enjoy falling in love!

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #26

Nebraska
Registry
Morgan,

You're a doll--I woke us this morning "panicked" about just about everything. But your easy instructions, (and having exp. from the state of AZ) was great!

And Penney and Mike--you helped me when I was thinking "why am I doing this?" Cause I want the little mini home to nest in--yet still travel (and with dogs.)

The next hurdle I had to get over was "Where am I going to work on this trailer, since I'm restricted by the HOA?'" Yes, I had thought of that, researched that, and thought I was OK, but then reality set in. Well, I just got back from Budget Storage, which is 1/2 mile or so away from me, and the manager assured me it was OK to do stuff right there in the lot (can't make a BIG mess), and even said I could use his tools. Nice guy. So that's paid up for the next 6 months.

So now I'll relax, sip my iced mocha coffee, and take my meds. (J/K)

Old 08-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #27

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
So now I'll relax, sip my iced mocha coffee, and take my meds. (J/K)
!

Don't make yourself crazy, this is suppose to be fun! Enjoy it
!!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #28

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Breath!

Tags
perris pacer