I BOUGHT THE PERRIS PACER! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Happy stinkin' Dance!!!! I just bought the Perris Pacer in Show Low, AZ! Instead of heading east to NC on Monday, we'll be heading west to pick up our new "baby". The people seem incredibly nice--retired and he likes to do projects like this.

Have appt. tomorrow to have hitch and wiring done. Will call insurance now, and storage place.

OK, all you "old timers" any sage advice????? (Raya and Robin and Jeff have been great sources for me!) We have never towed anything, have been in a Scamp ONCE, and camped in a tent that connects to the back of the Element (which I will now sell--used ONCE.)

ALSO--the Perris Pacer has a Playcool Cooler on the top that needs a water pump. Couldn't find anything about this or where I'd get a pump. Any ideas?!?!?

Thanks for all you guys, Now I'll be meeting you sometime!

Vickie

Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #2

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Try to arrange a early weekday hour for the pickup. This will let you make sure every thing fits together and give you some time to adjust things if necessary. Congradulations
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Congrats, Vickie!

On the Playcool cooler, that's what's typically called a "swamp cooler," and it works by evaporation. So it's a neat thing in a dry climate, but in a muggy place it won't do you much good. And if my Mom's tales about how muggy Nebraska is are to be believed, it's muggy!

There have been a couple of threads in the past wherein people have chipped in really good advice on stuff to bring when picking up a trailer, so you might search them. One was started by Bryan L. and one by Lizbeth. I don't think Bryan's started out with a title that would be obvious, but it was when he was hunting for an egg.

I would get clear on what your state requires in the way of titling before you go. Sometimes there is a difference in states and you may need extra paperwork from the seller. No big deal usually if you know in advance. Also, find out if your state has a trip permit. Many have one you get get online that covers you for a few days for $5 or so.

In addition to other things, I like to have a roll of electrical tape, a bunch of zip ties, a can of fix-a-flat, an extra jack, some wheel chocks, a "floor type" bicycle pump (for tires), leather gloves, a four-arm (or something that fits the trailer lugs), two different balls (1-7/8" and 2") and a can of Kroil or Liquid wrench or the like.

Also some basic electrical stuff (wires, ties, maybe a meter).

Gotta run now, but....

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Congratulations! You'll be picking that up not far from where Gina D is the camp host. If you don't have to run right back you should book a site and visit with her and let her see what you got....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #5

Registry
See how smart she is!!
Old 08-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #6

Registry
Perfect, Greg!! This is our "vacation" so have a few days to piddle and learn to drive. I'll get in touch with Gina!
Old 08-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Perfect, Greg!! This is our "vacation" so have a few days to piddle and learn to drive. I'll get in touch with Gina!
I think this is the campground link where she is managing.

AZ High Country
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
All good advice from Raya... and DON'T WORRY about towing... you new little fella will follow you whereever you go.

Just a few tips... until you get used to it, make WIDE turns and LOOK in your side mirrors to see WHERE the trailer wheels track. You will be surprised... it WILL cut the corner faster or shorter than the tug. Don't ask me HOW I first learned this. (curbs REALLY make a trailer jump!)

Don't worry needlessly about backing up... it will come with experience. Search for Backing up in the archives. If **I** can learn it...

If you have the time, I would even plan to spend the first nite in the town where you buy it... just in case you need to pick the previous owner's brain. We did that even with our new Scamp - stayed right outside Backus. Didn't NEED to go back to see them, but it was nice to know they were 5 miles down the road if we forgot something.

As far as the 1 7/8 or 2" ball, just ask the owner which he has. Saves buying a ball needlessly.

Take a clip board with YOUR questions. And when they explain something, WRITE IT DOWN, ##AND## have them show you , and then YOU do it once or twice. (don't ask me about having to figger out awning deployment... we were SO overwhelmed at the Scamp place... that one kind of slipped by us... when we FINALLY did want to deploy... ummmm... uhhhhh... geeeeee... HOW does this thing work??!!??)

Mostly, HAVE FUN and enjoy your new baby!!
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #9

Registry
Good stuff, guys---keep it coming!

Now I'll really show my "duh?" Do I get this Trip Permit from AZ (where I'm buying it) or NE--where I'm going???

I did some searching, mistakenly called Trip Permits for Trucks, was told I might need one for every state, and would I be "loading it when I got there." UHHH--maybe with some paper plates and pepsis!! Crap, I didn't want to be this confused THIS soon!
Old 08-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
dang.. had an answer an lost the page... well here goes again...

First, call the sellers and see if the trailer is currently licensed.. if it IS, you are just generally less likely to get stopped between AZ and NE.

WHen we bought new in MN, THEY (Scamp) gave us a 30 day travel permit I nosed around the AZ DMV website and here are a couple of links.... the 2nd has telephone numbers... call - it is way cheaper than a ticket. ALSO check the NE DMV to be sure what you need when you get BACK and want to register it. Get a registration form, and make sure you have whatever it takes to check off each box.

LINKS:

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">https://servicearizona.com/webapp/permit30/start.do</span><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"> </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"> </span>

https://servicearizona.com/webapp/pe...howInfoPage.do

B-T-W, California never asked to see the permit.

Quote:
Good stuff, guys---keep it coming!

Now I'll really show my "duh?" Do I get this Trip Permit from AZ (where I'm buying it) or NE--where I'm going???

I did some searching, mistakenly called Trip Permits for Trucks, was told I might need one for every state, and would I be "loading it when I got there." UHHH--maybe with some paper plates and pepsis!! Crap, I didn't want to be this confused THIS soon!
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #11

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Here's some good information from Arizona DOT.

That web site Alan provided is the easiest way to get a permit. You pay for it on-line and print it out. The seller will probably let you use his computer. The seller keeps the plates in AZ, so you must have this 30 day permit in case you're stopped. Tape it to the rear window.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #12

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Gina left yesterday on a ten day vacation, so you'll probably miss her.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #13

Registry
Thanks Morgan and Alan, I'm not panicking as much!

Pooh, I'm bummed Gina won't be there.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Vickie, I can't believe you bought it, or should I say, I can. You kept talking about it so I should have known. Still needing those depends? LOL.................... I am sooooooooo happy for you. You crack me up. Since you have gotten great advice on the paper work side of what to take. I will remind you that on your way home you will be towing your Hotel room behind you, so pillows, sleeping bag/sheets/blankets ( whatever works for you). If your thinking of camping along the way. A pot and pan, think easy for this trip. But it is nice to be able to make your self a sandwhich or a cup of coffee/tea. Bath towels. and any thing else you would want to keep you comfortable on your way home. Now if your coming thru Colorado, you can stop and stay in our driveway for a break, sorry no full hook up's but can plug you into electricty and get you some water. Plus, you can practice backing up with someone to help you. If my Mom is feeling better, she was great at helping me. But I am pretty good at it, so I guide you in.

Flash Light
Hammer
Jack ( or your auto club card)
Screw driver
Pliers
Duct tape ( I grew up calling it 100 mile an hour tape) It will hold anything together up to a 100 miles an hour

Camera!!!!!!!! ( we need pic's)
A bottle of Champagne......................................... .....
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #15

Registry
I'm printing all these wonderful hints out and putting them in a binder (organizationally anal!---which is good when you have a little fiberglass camper!)

Mapquest shows us going under (that would be south to geography geeks) Colorado. However, DH hasn't had a chance to sit with his maps and Garmin and think this through (poor guy, he just got done downloading info going EAST to NC.) I called him this morning, he came home at lunch, took one look at my face, and said "Get it"!

Boy, I'm gonna have to rethink what I'm packing. When going to 4 Paws Kingdom, all we needed was linens and towels (we were going to buy food there at Walmart!) Duct tape and tools, huh? You guys are scaring me!

Seriously, thanks for the kind words and well-wishes!
Old 08-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I can't imagine a better reason to change vacation plans. Congratulations!! And yes please, we'd love to see some pictures.... with a big ole grin on your face
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Vickie, don't be scared! Be excited! The tools are only for if something happens. Just a few things, kinda like a CYA tool kit. You don't have to have a whole garage of tools. Duct tape, will hold anything together till you can get it repaired. One of the last camping trips we were on, out of 40 some people we were camping with. I was the only one who didn't use my roll of duct tape. One guy borrowed it so many times he was like, I am gonna get you another roll when I go into town. It just comes in handy. As far as food, you can pick that up on the road if you decide to eat at a campsite. If you pull into a campsite and you have to back in, don't be afraid to ask for help. Most rv'ers are kind people and willing to lend a hand. You will get to meet a lot of nice people along the way. Enjoy!

So now that you have your egg, does that mean you will be attending the South Dakota Rally?
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Congratulations! If you look at my post about what to bring with you don't panic, I was talking about picking up a junker!

The most important thing to bring is your sense of adventure and fun! ...oh and a credit card. :0)
Old 08-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #19

Registry
Yes, Lizbeth, I did read your post. Yikes! I even put it in my favorites, so I could go back and take notes. I did calm down when I realized you were going to be towing something "not quite perfect."

God Bless duct tape--I have a friend who made a tote bag out of duct tape. Pretty cute.

For those who have already graciously extended invitations: we ARE going through Colorado (that first mapquest route was stupid-2 lane roads.) So, who knows---you may see me.

Now I'll go click on the South Dakota Rally and see what's up with that!

Old 08-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #20

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Couple of notes here:

1) I wouldn't take the advice of the current owner for sure on the ball size. I've been told wrong before. Of course if you don't already own both sizes, you can always wait and then pick up the right one at a Wal-Mart or something nearby. But do look at the coupler to see if you can find the right size stamped on it yourself.

2) The trip permit is something that some states offer so that you can transport a vehicle home that is not licensed by you yet. I have had sellers let me take a trailer with their plates still on it, and that does usually keep you from getting stopped, but it's not totally proper. Many people will not give you their plates to use, and/or they may not have had the trailer registered, and thus have no plates.

If *your* state offers a trip permit (they may not, or they may call it something else), then it's something you can buy (generally good for something like three days from the date on the bill of sale, but that depends on state) that is like a temporary license plate. The one I have bought is something I found online at my state's DOT website, registered and paid for by credit card, and then printed out on paper from my computer and taped in the rear window. It was for cars or trailers.

(Note: I looked on the NE DOT website and don't see such an animal. If it were me, I would contact someone at the NE vehicle licensing office, and tell them you are buying a trailer from out of state, and find out what you need in the way of paperwork. Take the name of the person you talk to, and their extension number.)

I don't think an Arizona trip permit would be what you would want; since you are a Nebraska resident, and will license the trailer in NE, I would just make sure to have a copy of the bill of sale with you, and the title if there is one (since there is no NE trip permit). Ask the seller ahead of time if they have a clear title IN THEIR NAME, so that you know. If they don't have one, you might check with the AZ DOT To see if they are a state that does not license trailers of the gross weight of the Pacer (so you know what you should be getting from seller).

Note that if AZ does not title trailers of that size, you should make sure to get the PO's last registration slip (or check with NE - many states will want that if no title).

Fun trip ahead!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perris pacer