I braved the "Musings" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #1

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Talking I braved the "Musings"

I have had my new Scamp for about three weeks now and after reading a very long thread about the poor quality of them and poor customer service etc I was too paranoid/nervous/scared to hook it up to water and ignite the propane water heater. So I unsubsribed from that thread and finally got up the nerve today to sally forth.

After emptying out the camper everywhere there was a water line and touching all of the lines to see it they appeared well connected, then arming myself with towels and a pair of pliers expecting the worst, I shuffled to turn the hose on and then sprinted back to the camper expecting the worst. Not one drop of water was out of place, bliss.

Feeling more confident I braved the water heater. The manual was helpful but diagram A didn't exactly line up with image 2 and having never had a water heater before it was kinda scary to see that rip roaring flame finally shoot out. I gave it about a half an hour and then voila, hot running water.

While I was waiting for the tank to heat up I experimented with dumping my black and grey water tanks - seems easy enough and now I feel a lot more confident. Gonna take my morning shower in my driveway tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
sink.jpg  
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
That's the way to do it Jaye! Keep playing around with stuff until you get it figured out.

Ken
Old 05-07-2016, 07:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you Jaye and if things head south, there's lots of knowledgeable folks here to help... you know that.

Enjoy the hot shower!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
You go girl! You know you can't believe everything you read on the internet. Jump in and do it and then enjoy. If you need help - just ask.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry,C View Post
...You know you can't believe everything you read on the internet...
I would hesitate to accuse either of the people who posted on the "Musings…" thread regarding their negative experiences of lying. However it does not follow that their experiences are representative of the majority of new Scamps.

Jaye, best wishes as you master all the systems on your new Scamp, one-by-one... May your showers be hot, your bed dry, your lights bright, and your fridge cold!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #6

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
That's awesome! Yay!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:31 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I would hesitate to accuse either of the people who posted on the "Musings…" thread regarding their negative experiences of lying. However it does not follow that their experiences are representative of the majority of new Scamps.
As the person who no doubt originated the thread in question, I say.. SPOT ON JON!

Although more than two have posted.. I, for one, have been 100% honest and also probably had more than my fair share of problems. And yet I still am happy with my Scamp and even more happy with the customer service I received in dealing with those problems. Yes, there were a number of things I had to work out but overall its been a good camper.

Quote:
Jaye, best wishes as you master all the systems on your new Scamp, one-by-one... May your showers be hot, your bed dry, your lights bright, and your fridge cold!
Ditto, and furthermore... if... (I mean when) you do have some things that need to be fixed, you will figure it out, maybe with help from this forum, and become a confident owner.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:55 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:

Agree
Still can't believe everything you read on the internet.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:12 AM   #9

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
I never meant to or implied anyone was lying about their problems, only that so many chimed in about various issues that it made me a nervous wreck especially since I live 1700 miles away from Backus!

I have been a member here for a long time and find the information extremely valuable and the only complaint I have is that there aren't any rallies in my neck of the woods!

Now, onto that first shower
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:58 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye580 View Post
I never meant to or implied anyone was lying about their problems, only that so many chimed in about various issues that it made me a nervous wreck especially since I live 1700 miles away from Backus!

I have been a member here for a long time and find the information extremely valuable and the only complaint I have is that there aren't any rallies in my neck of the woods!

I also never meant to imply that anyone was lying. I was trying to encourage folks to not be afraid because someone else has a bad experience that may have involved different circumstances than the ones they are confronted with. Again I never meant to offend anyone and if I did please accept my apologies.

I hope your shower was enjoyable.

Larry
Old 05-08-2016, 06:07 AM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry,C View Post
I also never meant to imply that anyone was lying. I was trying to encourage folks to not be afraid because someone else has a bad experience that may have involved different circumstances than the ones they are confronted with. Again I never meant to offend anyone and if I did please accept my apologies.

I hope your shower was enjoyable.

Larry
Thanks for the clarification Larry.. Of course when one says "you cannot believe everything you hear on the Internet", that implies that false information has been promulgated so that was the conclusion that some of us made. I guess it is true that "you cannot believe everything you hear on the Internet is the typical case" and I suspect that mine was not typical. Still, I did have the issues I wrote about. But none prevented me from camping or were vary difficult to fix. So, learn from the musings (and issues) that others have had and if you are lucky you will not need that knowledge.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:38 AM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Gonna take my morning shower in my driveway tomorrow.
We "camped" in the driveway a few times before hitting the road. Enjoy your Scamp wherever you are!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:03 AM   #13

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
You are developing a good relationship with your Scamp, Jaye, and you get the girl's equivalent of an "attaboy".

This forum does not represent the average owner of a small fiberglass RV, in my opinion. A group like this likes to work on our Scamps, make improvements, and such, and share the stories and ideas. A large majority of owners take them to a shop to fix or inspect any problems. They will not have a horror story to share, except, maybe, concerning the size of the repair bill. You are observant enough to notice small problems and nip them before they become big problems. For example, any small leaks that you catch within days will not rot the floor out. Fix them, dry it up and go on.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:00 AM   #14

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
You are developing a good relationship with your Scamp, Jaye, and you get the girl's equivalent of an "attaboy".

This forum does not represent the average owner of a small fiberglass RV, in my opinion. A group like this likes to work on our Scamps, make improvements, and such, and share the stories and ideas. A large majority of owners take them to a shop to fix or inspect any problems. They will not have a horror story to share, except, maybe, concerning the size of the repair bill. You are observant enough to notice small problems and nip them before they become big problems. For example, any small leaks that you catch within days will not rot the floor out. Fix them, dry it up and go on.
Agree, and I think that I even mentioned in "musings" that I suspected that I observed things in my camper that others might have not even noticed. In particular, the leaks would have been easy to miss If I were not checking it thoroughly, including reaching into the area behind the water tank as far as I could stretch my arm, and where I could not see at all. The water from small leaks does dry out and if you had a week without a heavy rain you might not see them at all.

But I do think that this attention to detail is exactly what owners of campers need to have. Leaks and the damage they cause, as well as most problems, only get worse with time and are a lot easier to deal with when caught early. Nip them in the bud and you will be a happier camper.

That is part of the reason for the "musings"... not to scare anyone off or be unfairly critical of Scamp, but to raise awareness of the details that could use some attention from the owners.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:02 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Way to go, Jaye!

Paul Simon wrote: "Misinformation followed us like a plague", back in 1972. Back then we lived in a people-net, no internet. Now we have unlimited access to most of the accumulated knowledge of humankind. And it's still our responsibility to weigh that information with our own experience. Don't believe anything out of hand. Live it.

Happy camping. That's an order.

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Rallies

Quote:

Jaye,

The nearest rally to you is the Vintage Fiberglass Rally in either PEI or NB, really a fun well attended event with all kinds of fiberglass trailers.

After attending that rally we looked on FRV to see if there were enough trailers to start a rally in NE. There definitely are. I also believe there's been a rally in NY.

Glad that your Scamp is turning out to be what you hoped.

We are presently in York, ME, heading to NL. We'll be back in the area after July 15th and will be attending the Machias Blueberry Festival, a 5 day fun event.

Wishing you well and safe travels.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #17

Name: Henry
Trailer: Intend to buy one day.
Florida
Quote:
I would hesitate to accuse either of the people who posted on the "Musings…" thread regarding their negative experiences of lying.
Jon, your oblique attack on Larry is unfounded. He never accused anyone of "lying". Your remark above is a form of virtue-signaling at the expense of Larry. He said "you can't believe everything you read on the Internet." That statement is transparently true and accurate, and does not justify conflating it with an accusation of lying. There are many reasons that people purvey misinformation in public forums, among them confusion, lack of knowledge, bias, unhappy experiences, psychological projection, envy, innocent mistake, ignorance, etc. (I could go on.) Larry, you have nothing to apologize for, and Jaye, always remember that "you can't believe everything you read on the Internet" (as you are finding out!).
Henry Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Smith View Post
.... "you can't believe everything you read on the Internet" ...
I read that on the Internet.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:22 AM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, Abe said it...
Attached Thumbnails
Abraham-Lincoln-quote.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #20

North Carolina
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Smith View Post
Jon, your oblique attack on Larry is unfounded. He never accused anyone of "lying". Your remark above is a form of virtue-signaling at the expense of Larry. He said "you can't believe everything you read on the Internet." That statement is transparently true and accurate, and does not justify conflating it with an accusation of lying. There are many reasons that people purvey misinformation in public forums, among them confusion, lack of knowledge, bias, unhappy experiences, psychological projection, envy, innocent mistake, ignorance, etc. (I could go on.) Larry, you have nothing to apologize for, and Jaye, always remember that "you can't believe everything you read on the Internet" (as you are finding out!).
Lying is a strong word, but lets be fair about this. Jaye said “I braved the "Musings; after reading a very long thread about the poor quality of them and poor customer service etc I was too paranoid/nervous/scared” and Larry replied “You go girl! You know you can't believe everything you read on the internet”. This directly implies that something specifically in the musing thread was untrue (and not something somewhere in the entire Internet) and that was Jon’s understanding also.

However, I don’t think for a minute that Larry meant anything more than to offer encouragement and if he wants to apologize for inadvertently making the aforementioned implication, then, as the musings thread author, I appreciate it because I know that every word I wrote in the “musings” thread that Jaye read is true. Larry just made a casual comment and we should let go at that.

If someone wants to challenge a specific “musing” then have at it otherwise we don't know what Jaye is supposedly finding out (about stuff you can't believe on the Internet). It might even help Jaye evaluate what she has already read. And please do not attribute incorrect motivations on my part for making any posts on this forum.