I. C. E. on your cellphone - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I just received this in an email (again) and thought I'd pass it along here.
After doing it myself...

Quote:
ICE - "In Case of Emergency"

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our closest family or friends.

If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence this "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) Campaign

The concept of "ICE" is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As cell phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name "ICE" ( In Case Of Emergency).

The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to > the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with patients, but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose. In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the number you have stored as "ICE."

For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc. A great idea that will make a difference!

Let's spread the concept of ICE by storing an ICE number in our Mobile phones today!

Please forward this. It won't take too many "forwards" before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest. ICE will speak for you when you are not able to.

NOTE: It was advised that if you're going to use this... put a space before the word ICE so it comes up 1st in the directory....

Send this to all your friends. It may save a life.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs down

A few years ago, I was a victim of a mugging type assault. While I was walking (for exercise), about 3 blocks from my house, I was shot at point-blank range with a Paintball Gun. The perpetrator came up from behind and shot me in my left temple. The pain was intense! (I now know what a "10" on my Dr.'s pain chart feels like) The plastic paintball shattered, knocking my glasses off my face, ricocheting shards of plastic into my left eye, causing immediate blindness. I could feel thick liquid on my face, but I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I yelled, "I've been SHOT, call 9-1-1!". The police and paramedics were on scene in 4 minutes.

One of the officers asked if there were some way to notify Robert, and thankfully, I was able to tell her. Now, I can stop worrying about not being able to...

P.S. The eye has healed, with full vision returned...
Old 12-21-2007, 11:37 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
It's an interesting idea... if the contact list is accessible. My mobile device (a BlackBerry) is locked with a password to protect confidential information stored inside, which means that emergency personnel would have no way to look for "ICE" (or anything else) in the contact list.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Mine Treo is similar Brian, however I am able to put "If lost" info on unlock screen - and there was enough space to put some basic ICE info there as well.

Can't hurt....
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Kyle's right... there is an alternative for these devices. I put my name and a contact number on my Palm (the Treo is a Palm), intended as an "if found return to" note; the BlackBerry has a similar feature (under Owner in the Options tool). There's lots of space to provide emergency contact info; although mine just has my office phone number, if anyone called there and hit the key to speak to a person that would work okay (during business hours).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote