I Finally Picked Up My U-Haul Camper Today - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-22-2006, 12:03 PM   #29
Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Easy and relatively cheap to repair/replace. Check: http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S...tegory_Code=crk

jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:46 AM   #30
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
I still think you got a good deal Buck (warts and all) and your family is going to love going out camping.

I'll caution you to NOT get hung up on making this trailer perfect....before you use it. Oftentimes when something needs a lot of work the process to get it perfect overrides the pleasure of ownership...think home remodeling If you're a former tent camper, you're probably used to camping with less than perfect conditions...like sleeping on the ground on a thin mattress! If it were me (and it's NOT), this is the order I'd prepare the trailer for use:

1. Make absolutely certain it's roadworthy... tires, bearings, spare, lights (maybe brakes?)
2. It's weatherproof...no leaks and no bugs can get in.
3. It's clean and sanitary. No sleeping on moldy cushions and less dirt outside than in Think hardsided tent!
4. Mods and decorating for creature comforts, etc.

You have a great opportunity to make this trailer uniquely your own. You've expressed concerns about the coupler. You can change what you have to a 2" for less than $20...if you bolt it on? Welded, if you can't do it yourself...I've been quoted $100 to change the one on my Scamp. Even Wally World sells the parts for about $25. Here's a link:
Fulton 2" Coupler...RV Supplier

No kitchen sink spout? Available just about everywhere (think big box hardware store). Usually 4" centers. Go with the high rise model...you won't regret it and the cost only a couple bucks more than the "regular" kind. Here's some info from Morgan:
Morgan’s Mod: Casita high rise faucet spout.

One thing about having something to tinker on...it gives family an opportunity to purchase you tools needed and parts wanted as GIFTS! Ohhhhh Santa.....

Best of luck Buck!

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:18 PM   #31
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
...This is all at first glance, as I haven't taken a single thing apart as of yet.

YIKES!!!.... what did I get myself into??...
You've got yourself into a $1000 trailer, which means a lot of cleanup work. After a few (okay quite a few) hours, you'll have it the way you want, and you'll really know it and how you want it set up.

Although nothing as been taken apart yet, there isn't all that much to these things that isn't visible by opening the few access doors, so I wouldn't worry about some hidden disaster lurking somewhere. I didn't see an age for this U-Haul, but my Boler is 27 years old, and while I marvel at how cheaply and shoddily some parts were built, I also marvel that it is still fundamentally functional with almost entirely original components. The basic chassis is too simple for much to go wrong, and the moulded fiberglass body means no hidden rot, so if it doesn't have holes bashed in it then it has lots of almost trouble-free life left.

1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote