I Finally Picked Up My U-Haul Camper Today - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2006, 12:48 PM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Quote:
The obvious thing to do is build a new garage with a roll-up door for your previously owned U-Haul.
Easier said than done!
Buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:50 PM   #22

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
That sounds like a great buy! Your first trailer doesn't have to be perfect, just reliable and comfortable. I like the contrasting stripe of colored carpet running down the ceiling. I've been in a Burro with that accent, and I think it tricks the eye and makes the interior look bigger than it really is.

Think twice about ditching your propane system, though. Ours only operates the stovetop, but it's essential. It's a great convenience to be able to stop anywhere, anytime, and cook a meal immediately-- because the weather's bad, because the view is good, or just because you're hungry. Pop-up owners don't have that privlege, but we eggers do. Be aware that if you travel west (like here to Colorado, as all Chicagoans eventually do), no National Forest campgrounds and few National Park sites offer electricity. And there are a lot more of those publlc CG's out here than KOA/Jelloystone/camporamas.
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:23 AM   #23

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Buck,
I second John's advice about saving the propane system. Unless you plan on carrying a generator, and they are useable only during certain hours in many parks. Check for leaks with liquid soap, then rinse thoroughly.
There are some things which are best left as is until you've lived with the TT for a season and actually camped in her several times. We've seen too many folks get excited and make changes which were later regretted. Having 2 systems is kind of like having 2 hands, sometimes the one won't accomplish the job while the other will.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:39 AM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've often thought about removing the propane system from my Scamp. If for no other reason than I'd like to get rid of the stove and convert that area into more counter space. I have a microwave and toaster oven and find I use those 99.9% of the time...along with a campfire. However, the Pacific Northwet recently experienced some hurricane force winds which has knocked out power to over a million homes/businesses. IF I had been one of those people affected, I could be perfectly comfortable "living" in the Scamp for whatever period of time necessary....and all due to the fact my Scamp doesn't require electricity to be comfortable. Stove, refer and furnace...all powered by propane.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:53 AM   #25

Trailer: 87 U-Haul CT13
Quote:
I haven't figured out if the solar panel up top works or not. How does one find out???
The solar charge controller is attached to the converter, in the storage area behind the furnace. Use a voltmeter when the sun is shining to determine if there is a current. I would be surprised if the solar doesn't work, as sturdy as the campers are.

One thought to consider: if you do replace the swamp cooler with a fantastic fan, use the pump on the swamp cooler on your freshwater tank. That was the next project on my list before we sold the U-Haul.
jasoncarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:30 AM   #26

Okay, well I guess I'll do my best to keep the propane system on my U-Haul.

Upon further review, here's what I'm looking at replacing or re-doing right now....

Ball coupler (old one is a crappy design and the locking piece is worn)
Trailer jack (existing one is totally shot)
Ceiling carpet (moldy smell)
Floor carpet (moldy smell)
Refridgerator (door is cracked on existing stock fridge)
Faucett (because these's nothing there now)
Swamp cooler (replacing it with a FanTastic Fan)
Wood storage covers (two of them need to be replaced)
New wiring (old stuff looks cheap and unsafe)
Tail lights (getting new LED tail lights)
Marker lights (need extensive cleaning - filled with dirt & grime)
Total scrubout of interior (because it's "yucky" in there!)
Stove fan (old one makes loud noises)
Stove vent on outside wall (old one is nasty)
Piping for propane (old pipes are extremely rusty)
Drain plugs (old ones are shot)
Water inlet tube
Drain tubes
Ceiling needs to be re-joined and glued (it's seperating next to the swamp cooler and dipping)
New long-cushion for table area (old one is missing)
Gelcoat needs repair in 5 or 6 places
Paint job

This is all at first glance, as I haven't taken a single thing apart as of yet.

YIKES!!!.... what did I get myself into??

Old 12-22-2006, 11:21 AM   #27

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
If your ball coupler is the OEM Fulton handwheel design, it ain't "crappy" - it is about as sturdy, reliable and versatile a coupler as ever was made. That's why U-Haul used them. I've seen too many accounts of "quick" lever-type couplers popping open; industrial strength handwheel couplers stay coupled! If the one-size-fits-two spoon (1-7/8" and 2") under the coupler is worn, it can easily be replaced.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:42 AM   #28

Quote:
If your ball coupler is the OEM Fulton handwheel design, it ain't "crappy" - it is about as sturdy, reliable and versatile a coupler as ever was made. That's why U-Haul used them. I've seen too many accounts of "quick" lever-type couplers popping open; industrial strength handwheel couplers stay coupled! If the one-size-fits-two spoon (1-7/8" and 2") under the coupler is worn, it can easily be replaced.
While I agree for the most part, the small lever that locks the wheel into place and keeps it from spinning is completely and totally shot. The grooves in the wheel itself are also rounded out and worn. I'd have to have someone fabricate a new lever piece and wheel-piece, which would be more costly than replacing the whole coupler. Besides, a hitch-pin through the lever/release handle locks it down just fine. Believe me, if you saw it you'd know that it's pretty much a lost cause.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:03 PM   #29

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Easy and relatively cheap to repair/replace. Check: http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S...tegory_Code=crk
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #30

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I still think you got a good deal Buck (warts and all) and your family is going to love going out camping.

I'll caution you to NOT get hung up on making this trailer perfect....before you use it. Oftentimes when something needs a lot of work the process to get it perfect overrides the pleasure of ownership...think home remodeling If you're a former tent camper, you're probably used to camping with less than perfect conditions...like sleeping on the ground on a thin mattress! If it were me (and it's NOT), this is the order I'd prepare the trailer for use:

1. Make absolutely certain it's roadworthy... tires, bearings, spare, lights (maybe brakes?)
2. It's weatherproof...no leaks and no bugs can get in.
3. It's clean and sanitary. No sleeping on moldy cushions and less dirt outside than in Think hardsided tent!
4. Mods and decorating for creature comforts, etc.

You have a great opportunity to make this trailer uniquely your own. You've expressed concerns about the coupler. You can change what you have to a 2" for less than $20...if you bolt it on? Welded, if you can't do it yourself...I've been quoted $100 to change the one on my Scamp. Even Wally World sells the parts for about $25. Here's a link:
Fulton 2" Coupler...RV Supplier

No kitchen sink spout? Available just about everywhere (think big box hardware store). Usually 4" centers. Go with the high rise model...you won't regret it and the cost only a couple bucks more than the "regular" kind. Here's some info from Morgan:
Morgan’s Mod: Casita high rise faucet spout.

One thing about having something to tinker on...it gives family an opportunity to purchase you tools needed and parts wanted as GIFTS! Ohhhhh Santa.....

Best of luck Buck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:18 PM   #31

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...This is all at first glance, as I haven't taken a single thing apart as of yet.

YIKES!!!.... what did I get myself into??...
You've got yourself into a $1000 trailer, which means a lot of cleanup work. After a few (okay quite a few) hours, you'll have it the way you want, and you'll really know it and how you want it set up.

Although nothing as been taken apart yet, there isn't all that much to these things that isn't visible by opening the few access doors, so I wouldn't worry about some hidden disaster lurking somewhere. I didn't see an age for this U-Haul, but my Boler is 27 years old, and while I marvel at how cheaply and shoddily some parts were built, I also marvel that it is still fundamentally functional with almost entirely original components. The basic chassis is too simple for much to go wrong, and the moulded fiberglass body means no hidden rot, so if it doesn't have holes bashed in it then it has lots of almost trouble-free life left.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul