I found one!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2017, 11:49 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Because it saves you the very nasty job of cleaning out the old grease. And the need to make sure that any solvent used is 100% gone before packing.
That's why I go to my mechanic who has a solvent tank and compressed air at hand to blow off the solvent. He's able to repack the bearings without the mess I had to deal with in my carport.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:37 AM   #22

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
That's why I go to my mechanic who has a solvent tank and compressed air at hand to blow off the solvent. He's able to repack the bearings without the mess I had to deal with in my carport.
Hi: Glenn Baglo... My RV Tech has his own shop. He charges $39. per axle and $12. for new inner& outer seals. This includes a brake clean and adjust too. Last repack was $98. including tax. Prices are in Canadian dolla's!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #23

Name: Fred & Linda
Trailer: Little Joe
Texas
Yes to new bearings, and I always keep an extra set as a spare "just in case". A new kit for both wheels would be less than $20.

And when you buy tires, be sure you get the "ST" designation for trailers, not the "P" designation which is for passenger cars.

Looks like a great find!
Fred-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:40 PM   #24

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
trailer bearings...

When I wanted mine repacked by a professional I just brought the hubs for inspection and repacking and rear seal replacement.

This was a place that sold and serviced horse trailers. since he didn't have to deal with the camper or jacks, etc, he only charged $20 for the job.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #25

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Horse and boat trailer places can have much better prices than RV places. If there is a U-Haul in your area they can be another option.

If you are lucky enough to have a shop around that builds and repairs trailers that is a bonus.

Nice trailer the side dinette is a sweet layout. Just in time for spring!

There is a lot to recommend taking short shakedown trips or even driveway camping to get a feel for everything and make sure it all works as expected. Adjust the load for best ride etc. Better to find out you need to fix or replace a whatchamacallit or repack to shift weight for smooth towing on a short weekend trip close to home than on a 2 week cross country odyssey.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #26

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Here I am agreeing with Glenn again. I've always repacked my own bearing but last time I picked up an attachment that allows me to attach my grease gun to the wheel hub and just pump in more grease. Any mechanic can do this and usually for a lot less. Most RV shops assume that anyone who can afford an RV can afford their inflated prices and they charge accordingly.
When I replace original tires I always go for a higher weight capacity. The initial cost is only a little higher but over the long term it's actually cheaper as they last much longer and perform better as well.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #27

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I stressed over repacking the bearings myself but found that it was about as easy as changing a tire. The hardest part was finding the right seals but Scamp helped me out with that. I had about 25 bucks in the repack including the seals.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #28

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
If I were buying a used trailer and going to spend the money to have someone repack old bearings, I would install known good new bearings rather than rely on a subjective judgement. It's just what this retired mechanical engineer prefers to do.
Replace them only if they fail inspection. If your mechanic can't inspect them, get a new mechanic. There is added labor to change the races if new bearings are needed.
The good news is that the new bearings are cheap. The bad news is that the new bearings are cheap!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #29

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Here I am agreeing with Glenn again. I've always repacked my own bearing but last time I picked up an attachment that allows me to attach my grease gun to the wheel hub and just pump in more grease.
Sounds like a bearing buddy for boat trailers. Definitely not a good plan for travel trailers.

Pumping grease into the hub does not ensure it gets in the bearing itself and eventually you will have the entire cavity full and it will blow out the seals and get on the brakes, or they will leak from the extra pressure and extra heat that comes from being completely full. Just pumping grease in also means the bearings don't get inspected or adjusted.

When greasing bearings, all that is needed is to force the grease through the inner and outer bearings such that it is inside the cages with the rollers and not just smeared on top. It's a simple trick in the palm of your hand or with a packing tool. This after cleaning and inspecting them. No more grease is needed. The hub does not need to be cleaned with solvent, just the bearings.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #30

I had Bearing Buddies on my tent trailer, and I had grease all over the wheels and tires. Heat pressure also popped the caps off the hubs.
I don't recommend.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #31

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I had Bearing Buddies on my tent trailer, and I had grease all over the wheels and tires. Heat pressure also popped the caps off the hubs.
Yep.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #32

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I have used bearing biddies for about 40 years and when used properly I have never had a failure. Current trailer has approx 30k and no problems. If caps are popping off and grease is going everywhere, too much grease is being pumped into them. I have also had them on two utility trailers that had heavy use for years with no problems.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #33

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin748 View Post
I have used bearing biddies for about 40 years and when used properly I have never had a failure. Current trailer has approx 30k and no problems. If caps are popping off and grease is going everywhere, too much grease is being pumped into them. I have also had them on two utility trailers that had heavy use for years with no problems.
If "used properly" is the point. Not just used to pump in more grease whenever. You can't just keep adding more grease to service the bearings. The bearing buddy is designed to keep positive pressure in the hub so it can be submerged in cold water without letting water in. Not to grease the bearings.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 PM   #34

Name: E
Trailer: Aliner
Georgia
[QUOTE=RogerDat;631600]Horse and boat trailer places can have much better prices than RV places. If there is a U-Haul in your area they can be another option.

If you are lucky enough to have a shop around that builds and repairs trailers that is a bonus.

QUOTE]

Great idea. There is a trailer place near my house actually. I will stop by and get a feel for the place.
Personally seems if I can going to go to the trouble of having someone repack the bearings surely new ones would not be much more.

Do electric brakes require maintenance? I am not worried about mileage or wear...more about the effects of "sitting" for extended periods.
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnstormer View Post
Personally seems if I can going to go to the trouble of having someone repack the bearings surely new ones would not be much more.

Do electric brakes require maintenance? I am not worried about mileage or wear...more about the effects of "sitting" for extended periods.
Except that the new bearings may not be of the same quality.
Brakes should be inspected and adjusted which will take a few minutes more than repacking the wheel bearings.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:21 AM   #36

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Always good to check and adjust brakes. On one of my trailers that had sat for some time, the lining on one shoe had come off. When we bought our Casita, I found a brake adjuster seized.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:19 AM   #37

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Congrats on your lovely new Scamp! That layout is my favorite! Happy camping!!!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #38

Alberta
John, it isn't a "Bearing Buddy".
It's a "Dexter E Z Lube"
It circulates new grease first through the inner wheel bearing and then through the outer wheel bearing, flushing out the old grease which I then remove.
Works well and grease doesn't accumulate anywhere.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #39

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
John, it isn't a "Bearing Buddy".
It's a "Dexter E Z Lube"
It circulates new grease first through the inner wheel bearing and then through the outer wheel bearing, flushing out the old grease which I then remove.
Works well and grease doesn't accumulate anywhere.
That sounds like a nice setup. I'm glad you mentioned it, thanks. Sorry I assumed it was a Bearing Buddy.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:15 PM   #40

Alberta
Cheers Buddy!