I got me a ParkLiner Egg! - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #61

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Ginny and I went to the Scamp Camp in Sebring, FL today and checked out Tim Wood's Parkliner.
Well, darn, Craig and I just got back into Scamp Camp from a run to town...would have loved to have met the 2 of you. Mebbe next year. eh?

We'll be checking out the PL tomorrow.

Josie

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #62

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ken,

There are county fairs and there are fiberglass rallies. There is a lot to learn at a fiberglass rally about fiberglass trailers. After my first one I had a 50 item list of potential modifications.

I think contact with customers is a first rule of business.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #63

Florida
Josie and Craig,

What site are you on? You're only a few 20 minutes from us, we're in the Escapee park in Wauchula. Possibly we could take a run over on Wednesday if you're not busy.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #64

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I agree that innovation is important, but profitability is key. The list of dead FG companies is much longer than the list of live ones, and a lot of the dead ones made innovative campers.

That said, Ford was the biggest auto company in the world until ole Henry decided he was just going to make the same old Model T in black and never mind the competition.

It is a delicate balance.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #65

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
... I like that aluminum box accrete
I first saw it here:
Tradesman 21 in Trailer Tongue Box.

It will fit my small yamaha genset and hopefully the area on the PL tongue. Once i know, i'll shop for the best bargan and order one : )
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #66

Yes, I agree, they have good contact with their customers when you call them and when they attend their county fair and meet them face to face. Good job Scamp.

Glad you got to see a Parkliner I would sure like too some day. Happy camping.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #67

Florida
Thomas G.

Of course the most innovative company in the world is probably Apple and also happens to be the most profitable. Companies exist to make a profit. One can be profitable and innovative at the same time.

The innovations in the Parkliner are not miracles, but rather small, obvious improvements over what exists, at least in Casita and Scamp.

I'd be surprised if anyone from Scamp or Casita were ever inside a Parkliner.

I feel I have a pretty nice Scamp, I heavily write about my Scamp, certainly on average travel the most in a Scamp. Recently I went to the Scamp factory to get a new ball coupler and a set of cushions, not one person from Scamp crossed the door of my trailer or worse even asked my opinion about my trailer.

It's all pretty amazing to me. I have started or managed a number of small businesses and knowing, as I stated in the previous post, listening to the customer is critical to success. If you're not improving your product someone else will. I certainly want all the fiberglass manufacturers to survive and grow but.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #68

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
I first saw it here:
Tradesman 21 in Trailer Tongue Box.

It will fit my small yamaha genset and hopefully the area on the PL tongue. Once i know, i'll shop for the best bargan and order one : )
I looked at one just like that with a "Delta" brand name on it. Could be a bit different. The only thing that stopped me from buying it was that the aluminum is very thin. Light, but not real tough. Still, would work great if cared for.

Click on photo for link. There are two sizes. I found them cheaper on sale here in town though. Not real certain the ones I looked at were labeled "Pro" though, could be a difference there too.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #69

Quote:
Thomas G..............
Not disagreeing with ya, Norm. My point is that it is a lot harder to profitably make a FG trailer than it appears. I love to see innovation, too.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #70

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I looked at one just like that with a "Delta" brand name on it...
THX, i followed the link and have it bookmarked for the pre-purchase research.
Thom
Old 02-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #71

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Yeah you would think scamp and casita would be looking to improve to make their customers happy. Whoever at scamp that maintain s there Facebook page isnt sharp at all...i was asking some internal measurements like how wide is the walkway between the galley and the closet right across from it and they couldn't understand... really?

So im thinking of adding a real receiver on the back of my ParkLiner to hold hoses, extention cables, leveling blocks, few folding chair's and my rocket stove... tjings i don't want to keep inside.

Deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #72

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
So im thinking of adding a real receiver on the back of my ParkLiner to hold hoses, extention cables, leveling blocks, few folding chair's and my rocket stove... tjings i don't want to keep inside.
Now that you have put the air bags on your TV, ironically, you will have to watch your tongue weight, to make sure it is not too light.
The voice of experience.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #73

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Josie and Craig,

What site are you on? You're only a few 20 minutes from us, we're in the Escapee park in Wauchula. Possibly we could take a run over on Wednesday if you're not busy.
# 76

Thanks for the offer. If you PM us, I'll check back later ( movie night ) and we'll give you a phone number and see if we can get together tomorrow.

Josie

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #74

New Jersey
Registry
Heh well there is an easy fix...drop the 2 steel propane tanks and add a 25 lb composite tank and mount the 75 lb Yamaha 2400 generator and 5 gallon gas can.....I'm sure it should balance out lol

Deryk

What happens when the tongue gets light and what percent of trailer weight is light? ParkLiner says dry its 220lbs thats with 1 steel propane tank...i have 2 ....if i get to bring mine home this weekend if there is no snow i need to weigh it.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #75

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
...you will have to watch your tongue weight, to make sure it is not too light...
When talking to Chandler he told me that for every pound placed at the rear "tongue" of the PL, you should calculate ~.8 pounds off the front tongue weight.

Food for thought.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #76

New Jersey
Registry
Well Thom, it still makes it possible with the generator up front. I am thinking about converting it to a tri-fuel and if I can place it there next to the propane tank, sheilded of course ...I couldn't store my bowling ball collection back there but could fit the "dirty" stuff back their...but at the same time I saw this and really like it...

Tire Covers Continental Kit

Get an artist friend of mine to do a nice celtic knotwork pattern on it... would make me real happy!

deryk
Old 02-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #77

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
...Get an artist friend of mine to do a nice celtic knotwork pattern on it... would make me real happy!

deryk
Yea buddy, i've been tying celtic knots with pen and ink since knee high, then i doodled with them on the PC since ~1988. Fun stuff...

My Celtic art page at my domain.

and one of my silly favorites : )

Old 02-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #78

New Jersey
Registry
Nice Thom! Really Great Work! I am in the SCA, and hang with a bunch of Irish folk musicians! They get me into some nice parties at Pennsic War! Another reason Im looking for a generator. I can't make it this year but I know I will be banished to the rv parking area and there's little shade or breeze so the ac will keep me comfortable.

I saw you mention a yamaha... what size generator? Im looking at the 2400i, will easily power my ac unit and keep the batteries topped off.

deryk
Old 02-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #79

Florida
Deryk,

I was in a Parkliner and it looks like a 5000 BTU AC unit; I think they draw about 5 amps. What size generator does Parkliner suggest?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #80

New Jersey
Registry
I sent Chandler an email 2 days ago and haven't gotten a response back yet. Its possible a 2000 watt will work, but from reading here and the casita forum, it seems exterior temps, and altitude has an effecton on a generators ability to run an air conditioner. It baffles me people saying they got their rooftop units running off a 2000 watt unit, but people with 6-8000 btu window type air conditioners seem to have problems and vice versa. I think I would rather play it safe, that and if your running a 2000 watt unit with eco mode off rom what Ive read the fuel useage is going to be similar to the fuel useage of the 2400 watt generator.

So with that Im planning on the yamaha 2400 watt, it also puts out enough amps that would run my parents fridge... after sandy Im thinking that wouldn't be a bad thing either for a backup. The only thing I dont like about it is there is no way to use a secondary fuel tank for longer run times. 1/4 load is 8.6hours,cuts it real close for cooling the ParkLiner down to sleep, get my 7 hours or so and wake up with it still running lol. I wonder if drilling a hole in the fuel cap and so you can add a hose like for a honda 2000 and add the 2nd tank above the generator and have a squeeze ball siphon if that would keep the tank full so the generator could run longer? Or cnvert to run off of propane but I hear that tends to make them run hot and I talked with someone at yamaha and they said they tend to get alot of repair work from people trying it...they recomend just buying a model that is designed for it.

deryk

Tags
parkliner