I have a dream... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
I once owned a 1975 Pinto with the big four cylinder, 2.3 liter I think. It was one of the best cars I ever owned. With the right hitch it wouldn't have any problem pulling a 13.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
WOW... it sounds like the rest of the cars you owned must have consisted of AMC Pacers, Yugo's and some of those wonderful Chrysler Corp K-Cars.

BUT... all is not lost, there is one other person on this site that loves the Pinto, it's just that 99% of America doesn't agree, especially after a rear end collision, but don't take it personally... LOL
Ford Pinto: Deathtrap Cars - AskMen

And Yes, I owned a Pinto, a 1974 Wagon... YUK

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:26 PM   #22

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
That camper just looks fun, but I don't think it's geared towards full timing with it's tank capacities. Also, unsure of Scamp and Casita 13ft pricing, but perhaps it's a bit more?

FAQ | Happier Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Happier camper towed in one of their new trailers with the Mini Cooper SI at the last Lake Casistas Rally 2 weeks ago. It was a nice set-up.
sales@happiercamper.com e-mail.
Bster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #23

Quote:
I remember that Ford did a recall and put shorter gas tank strap bolts in. I think the whole thing
was overblown. I have an 87 Suzuki Samurai that have never overturned ! ��

I'm surprised, that as a former Pinto owner you weren't more aware of the Pinto recall situation and that Ford initially made the decision that it was cheaper to pay off the fatality claims than fix the problem. I guess that was called "Good Business Practice" at the time.

The "fix" was to put a plastic buffer shield between the gas tank and the rear axle. When my late wife's Pinto couple was rear ended it ruptured the gas tank, but as it was almost empty (and with a lot of other luck) it didn't ignite.

The other fix was that no one would buy a used one, and many met the crusher before their usual wear out time of 75,000 miles. Only the Corvair may have suffered more than the Pinto as a result of an engineering/corporate error.

As far as overblown, one unnecessary death was one to many, and the hundreds of deaths attributed to the problem are beyond the pale....
http://ridgepoinths.com/wp-content/u...into-Case1.pdf

Old 11-09-2015, 05:32 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
When we looked for a new vehicle to tow the HC1 we wanted something that was relatively small ,cool looking , fun to drive and with good gas mileage.we checked out different VWs, jeep renagade, some beemers and the Mini Cooper countryman with a 2000 lb tow capacity. I think our choice to get the Mini Cooper was a good one as it tows beautifly even better than we expected and gets great mpg. You can see pictures at happier camper .com and how nice a fit it is with the HC1
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I saw this the other day and first it surprised me that the Porsche Panamera had a tow capacity of 4850 lbs Then I thought what a blast it would be to drive and pull into a campground.
Top 13 Best Cars for Towing for 2013 on Edmunds.com

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
When we looked for a new vehicle to tow the HC1 we wanted something that was relatively small ,cool looking , fun to drive and with good gas mileage.we checked out different VWs, jeep renagade, some beemers and the Mini Cooper countryman with a 2000 lb tow capacity. I think our choice to get the Mini Cooper was a good one as it tows beautifly even better than we expected and gets great mpg. You can see pictures at happier camper .com and how nice a fit it is with the HC1
I looked high and low on the miniUSA site and can't find a towing specification for the Countyman. Can you look at the attached Countryman Owners Manual PDF and let us know where it is located?

http://www.miniusa.com/content/dam/miniusa/Owners/Tools%20%26%20Support/Owners%20Manuals%20%26%20Tips/2016_MINI_Countryman_Paceman_owner_manual.pdf

I ask this because towing within manufacturers specifications is a hot button here abouts.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #27

Trailer: Boler 1984
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1447108154.115282.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	90382
Although it has a Mercedes drivetrain and a v6, I'd never think of actually using it as a tow vehicle. The highlander made more sense.

james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #28

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
The Volvo C30 on that list wouldn't be bad at all. Nice link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
I saw this the other day and first it surprised me that the Porsche Panamera had a tow capacity of 4850 lbs Then I thought what a blast it would be to drive and pull into a campground.
Top 13 Best Cars for Towing for 2013 on Edmunds.com

Bster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #29

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Bob, I was young at the time and would have drove it if it was on fire. There were 27 deaths attributed to the problem and I am not making light of them. There were 3 million cars produced. After the recall it was as safe as any other small car. Ford should have fixed it sooner and not put money before people. Otherwise the Pinto was a good car and outlasted it's rivals the Gremlen and Vega many times over.

charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #30
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Sorry bob I can't get that info right now as it is 3000 miles from me but I'll see if I can get it from Derek when I talk to him. What I do know is when we looked for a tow vehicle we were upfront with all dealers and they were told of our intentions to tow the HC1and its weights. We were assured that this model countryman would meet there weight limits.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #31

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
In the summer of 1970 I had a custom hitch built for my Corvette and pulled this pop-up camper to Elkmont campground in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I don't suppose I had ever pulled any kind of trailer prior to this trip with 3 of my college buddies. I doubt the Corvette was rated to pull anything but it made the trip just fine and being 20 years old and indestructible, I'm sure no speed limits were observed. These were the days of $.32 gasoline and 65 MPH so who cared?
Attached Thumbnails
Scan147a.jpg  
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:24 PM   #32

North Carolina
Registry
I have a dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
In the summer of 1970 I had a custom hitch built for my Corvette and pulled this pop-up camper to Elkmont campground in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I don't suppose I had ever pulled any kind of trailer prior to this trip with 3 of my college buddies. I doubt the Corvette was rated to pull anything but it made the trip just fine and being 20 years old and indestructible, I'm sure no speed limits were observed. These were the days of $.32 gasoline and 65 MPH so who cared?

That is cool. It is amazing what we did before the nanny state came along. And your name is......😁 We used to go to Elkmont and stay at the Wonderland Hotel. It is gone now 😿

Old 11-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #33

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I'm surprised, that as a former Pinto owner you weren't more aware of the Pinto recall situation and that Ford initially made the decision that it was cheaper to pay off the fatality claims than fix the problem. I guess that was called "Good Business Practice" at the time.

The "fix" was to put a plastic buffer shield between the gas tank and the rear axle. When my late wife's Pinto couple was rear ended it ruptured the gas tank, but as it was almost empty (and with a lot of other luck) it didn't ignite.

The other fix was that no one would buy a used one, and many met the crusher before their usual wear out time of 75,000 miles. Only the Corvair may have suffered more than the Pinto as a result of an engineering/corporate error.

As far as overblown, one unnecessary death was one to many, and the hundreds of deaths attributed to the problem are beyond the pale....
http://ridgepoinths.com/wp-content/u...into-Case1.pdf
You've been reading the propaganda which all proved to be false, especially when Ford and the Pintos were vindicated in court. Still the winningest amateur American roadrace car, rock solid reliable and a thrill to drive. You've never owned a more reliable car.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:32 PM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yes they did and yes I saw it! I'm not sure how much of a "sports car" you need I scooped this picture out of an OLD business card thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Corvette_Casita.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #35

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
WOW... it sounds like the rest of the cars you owned must have consisted of AMC Pacers, Yugo's and some of those wonderful Chrysler Corp K-Cars.

BUT... all is not lost, there is one other person on this site that loves the Pinto, it's just that 99% of America doesn't agree, especially after a rear end collision, but don't take it personally... LOL
Ford Pinto: Deathtrap Cars - AskMen

And Yes, I owned a Pinto, a 1974 Wagon... YUK
The thing is 99% of Pinto owners loved them. Many bought several. I owned a 1971, 1976, two1977s, and still own my 1980. I certainly don't need some ersatz popularity contest to know value when I see it. Who wouldn't want this Pangra turbo in his garage?...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Bob, I was young at the time and would have drove it if it was on fire. There were 27 deaths attributed to the problem and I am not making light of them. There were 3 million cars produced. After the recall it was as safe as any other small car. Ford should have fixed it sooner and not put money before people. Otherwise the Pinto was a good car and outlasted it's rivals the Gremlen and Vega many times over.

The 27 deaths mentioned were only those that were included in the NHTSA investigation and do not count all that occurred before the investigation and were not yet linked to the later identified problem, nor any that occurred after the investigation, nor did it include those that were burned or otherwise injured from the fires. If nothing else, read the last paragraph in this link.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2003...-fiery-failure

Old 11-09-2015, 08:53 PM   #37

North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
You've been reading the propaganda which all proved to be false, especially when Ford and the Pintos were vindicated in court. Still the winningest amateur American roadrace car, rock solid reliable and a thrill to drive. You've never owned a more reliable car.

I never drove one in a road race but I certainly pushed mine through a bunch of curves in the Carolina mountains. That is where I learned to wear the seatbelt. I couldn't stay in the slick vinyl bucket any other way.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #38

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I purchased a 1972 Pinto Runabout brand new, my first new car. LOVED that car, other than the fact the cowl vent from the exterior was never sealed properly and when it rained... it rained INSIDE. Because the track was almost square... terrific car in the snow (rose-colored glasses on).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Ford was found not guilty of criminal negligence and in the 80's the NHTSA was still a very weak department that had little bite. Hardly a vindication. And, as mentioned, my late wife's Pinto coupe suffered a split open fuel tank when rear ended in city traffic. Hardly an example of false propaganda.

And I have owned a number of cars much more reliable than the Pinto wagon we owned for several years, ranging from 60's Volvo's to my 2003 GMC Sonoma.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Sorry bob I can't get that info right now as it is 3000 miles from me but I'll see if I can get it from Derek when I talk to him. What I do know is when we looked for a tow vehicle we were upfront with all dealers and they were told of our intentions to tow the HC1and its weights. We were assured that this model countryman would meet there weight limits.
Okey Dokey... I'll check back in when we get back from Yosemite.
But I really hope that you didn't just take a salesman's word for a towing rating.