I have a dream... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #1

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
I have a dream...

.... to have a sports car as my TV with a 13ft FGRV. I absolutely love tearing up the corners with my modified MINI Cooper, but it certainly won't tow a 13 foot camper. Has anyone ever researched what decently handling sports cars can tow a bit?

It'd be like having my cake and eating it too... to be able to tow my home with me fulltime and unhook at a campsite and have some fun on the backroads with my TV.
Bster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmm... Last post you were talking about using a mini-van for a TV, is there more than one Bster13 in there? LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:56 AM   #3

Connecticut
Sitting at a desk job for years... I have lots of dreams.

But I will say I do take notes from all the responses I receive to my questions, and I appreciate the help.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I hear VW diesels have pretty good performance and towing capacity..... Actually I would look to some of the German models of VW or Mercedes. Do some google searching for "caravan tow vehicles" you might get more hits on European sites where camping trailers are called caravans.

Sporty with tow might be something more prevalent in Europe than in the US. We have a bit more tendency to just get a pick em up truck or SUV for tow capacity, our fuel prices allow for that size as a second car. Europe higher fuel prices = different approach.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #5

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13 View Post
.... to have a sports car as my TV with a 13ft FGRV. I absolutely love tearing up the corners with my modified MINI Cooper, but it certainly won't tow a 13 foot camper. Has anyone ever researched what decently handling sports cars can tow a bit?

It'd be like having my cake and eating it too... to be able to tow my home with me fulltime and unhook at a campsite and have some fun on the backroads with my TV.

Happier Camper | Ultra-light Travel and Utility Trailers

Helio | Roulottes ultra-légères novatrices, durables et écologiques

Have a good day,
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #6

Connecticut
Ah yes, a TDI with some suspension work done, a performance alignment and decent tires (save for the cost of performance tires ) would work very well, forgot about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I hear VW diesels have pretty good performance and towing capacity..... Actually I would look to some of the German models of VW or Mercedes. Do some google searching for "caravan tow vehicles" you might get more hits on European sites where camping trailers are called caravans.

Sporty with tow might be something more prevalent in Europe than in the US. We have a bit more tendency to just get a pick em up truck or SUV for tow capacity, our fuel prices allow for that size as a second car. Europe higher fuel prices = different approach.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I attended a ScampCamp once where a guy came in with a beautifully remodeled 13Scamp behind a matching MiniCooper. He claimed many miles of comfortable towing. (Not an endorsement)
I understand your desire and I hope to tow my Scamp one day with my 5.0 Pinto. Have even considered my Mustang as a TV.
Life is full of dreams and compromises though... at least I don't have to drive an oversized truck.
While not a "Sports Car",Good tires and minor mods will make a 5SPD Ford Escape very respectable on the twisties and still a great match for a 13Scamp.
or how about something like this ...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
While it isn't a true "Sports" car, my 2010 RAV4 Sport handles better than some real sports cars, has the power to tow an Escape 17B (V6 & tow package) and is a joy to drive unhooked or towing.

Of course it doesn't quite compare to my college vehicle, a 1957 MG Midget, however it also doesn't need to be repaired every other day!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #9

Connecticut
Good to know the MINI was able to tow a 13 footer... to be honest, the car brand is not the most reliable and there aren't that many dealers around, but it sure is a good handling car. The TDI intrigues me though...
Old 11-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You know, of course, that the TDIs are embroiled in an emissions scandal, right? New ones have been pulled from the US market, and I don't think VW is selling used ones either, so you're left with the secondary market. The scandal may actually drive up prices. Hard to say what the fix will involve, how (or whether) it will be enforced, and what the final performance numbers will look like. And for the record, they are actually only rated by VW to tow 1000 pounds in NA.

VW Diesel Cheating

A Mazda CX-5 is fairly sporty, by most accounts. It is rated to tow 2000 pounds in all drivetrain configurations (per the 2015 owner's manual), so you could get the manual transmission version if you wanted. Sadly it's only available with the smaller 2.0L engine.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #11

Connecticut
Yeah, I guess if the TDI are muffled further, their nice torque profile and towing ability ay diminish.

CX-5... I guess I was hoping someone would find a srt8 challenger, or a hellcat, or older BMW M5... all those beefy engined cars have no towing capability?
Old 11-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Aaah… you want some muscle, too! I'd love to tow with a Mustang drop-top myself. I can't imagine a more awesome way to explore the Pacific Coast Highway. But, alas!... 1000 pounds in all configurations.

Near the end of the linked thread about the VW scandal, I posted a report on some testing done by CR. It seems to indicate newer TDIs won't suffer as much of a performance hit as older ones (or will be an easier fix, anyway).
Old 11-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #13

Connecticut
Sadly this car is now gone, but it had a L67 3.8; supercharged engine in it and only weighed 1500lbs, plus it had a small hitch. I wonder how it would of towed an FGRV. Would of been a hoot! Haha.

Stalker High Performance Kit Cars: the Stalker M-Spec, XL, AXR and Classic R
Old 11-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #14

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
TDI was towing a Airstream Bambi when I was in Florida last winter
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Aaah… you want some muscle, too! I'd love to tow with a Mustang drop-top myself. I can't imagine a more awesome way to explore the Pacific Coast Highway. But, alas!... 1000 pounds in all configurations.

Near the end of the linked thread about the VW scandal, I posted a report on some testing done by CR. It seems to indicate newer TDIs won't suffer as much of a performance hit as older ones (or will be an easier fix, anyway).
My 95 Mustang Convertible would do a nice job but It would require designing my own hitch since the ones available commercially are not up to standard. Oddly enough the convertible has a heavier stronger floor pan than the coupe.
The Pinto is no challenge at all and its tougher than elephant butter right out of the box.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #16

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
I have a dream...

I once owned a 1975 Pinto with the big four cylinder, 2.3 liter I think. It was one of the best cars I ever owned. With the right hitch it wouldn't have any problem pulling a 13.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I know virtually nothing about cars, but it is my understanding that convertible chassis connections are typically much stronger then non convertible cars. This is to overcome the lack of structure that the roof would have provided.

A drag racer told me that, a frame, with the additional mounting points, are sought after by the racing crowd.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
...The Pinto is no challenge at all and its tougher than elephant butter right out of the box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
I once owned a 1975 Pinto with the big four cylinder, 2.3 liter I think. It was one of the best cars I ever owned. With the right hitch it wouldn't have any problem pulling a 13.
And with a hitch protecting the gas tank and a trailer behind you to absorb the impact, you'd have a sporting chance to survive a rear-end collision.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Happier camper towed in one of their new trailers with the Mini Cooper SI at the last Lake Casistas Rally 2 weeks ago. It was a nice set-up.
sales@happiercamper.com e-mail.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #20

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
I have a dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
And with a hitch protecting the gas tank and a trailer behind you to absorb the impact, you'd have a sporting chance to survive a rear-end collision.

I remember that Ford did a recall and put shorter gas tank strap bolts in. I think the whole thing
was overblown. I have an 87 Suzuki Samurai that have never overturned ! 😄

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote