View Poll Results: Stratagies used for FINDING that must-have Egg
Answering a FOR SALE ad 26 70.27%
Posting a WANTED ad 3 8.11%
I'm still looking! Haven't found it yet! 2 5.41%
Other (explain in post below) 6 16.22%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2009, 09:56 AM   #15

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
I'm one of the few that got one with a WANTED ad on Craigslist. The woman was looking on CL to see how much she could sell hers for and mine was the only Scamp ad to show up. She contacted me and the deal was done. Best part of it was that there was no competition!

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
Mike, You didn't even have to go thru all the heartache of getting beat out on several Egg sales? Lucky Duck! I think that was the hardest part of trying to buy one. So when you sell something you don't look at the Wanted Ads searching for what your selling? hmmm, interesting to know. Thanks for your opinion.
Robin, the purchases were made 11 years apart. Before the first purchase we did chase after a lot of GOA's so we gave up until we saw a new one on an RV lot and just cut a check. The second purchase happened by chance and was done in one of those "it just feels right" moments. We grew out of our 17 and the new 25 was everything we needed.

We ended up with two after the second purchase because I didn't want to trade in. I subsequently advertised here unsuccessfully, then on Craigs list unsuccessfully. We had a lot of interest but no serious inquiries. We eventually sold it to a person who goes by our house daily and noticed it for sale after all the snow melted!

The want for big toys has not slowed down apparently. But it really is a buyers market now. The market is flooded with the flotsam and jetsam of those affected not by the high cost of living, but the cost of living high!

Old 04-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #17

Name: Brandy
I found my egg partially by referral....(thank you Rusty) and part by Sharon..(thank you Sharon).....Rusty posted it in the referal section, Sharon had posted a "my friend would like a trailer", and since the trailer was snowed in 300 miles away over a pass Rusty ventured out in the snow and checked it out so I wasn't wasting a trip....that and she pulled it out of his yard and went and got the tires checked so I wasn't driving home in unsafe conditions.........
Old 04-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Glad to hear, the wanted ad has worked for a few. As I said, I didn't get one response.

LizP, I guess your right about buyer beware. I just know the desire to own one sometimes clogs our sensible minds. LOL.........

Mike T, I agree about people dealing with the cost of living high! Seems like people have lived far beyond their means for far tooooo long, can we say reality check.

Brandy, Wow, the stars were lined up for you..................... Sounds like a lot of people had to come together to find you, your perfect trailer. Congrats!
Old 04-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: Actively shopping for a project, again.
Quote:
Mike, You didn't even have to go thru all the heartache of getting beat out on several Egg sales? Lucky Duck! I think that was the hardest part of trying to buy one. So when you sell something you don't look at the Wanted Ads searching for what your selling? hmmm, interesting to know. Thanks for your opinion.
Robin, When buying the Burro, I was not looking for one, in fact had never heard of a fiberglass egg. I was fortunate enough to stumble across mine, but if I didn't get it I would not have had any remorse because I wouldn't have known what I was missing. It was seeing it that sold it to me, when we saw it in the yard it was horrible looking but there was a glimmer of hope under the grime. I have posted the pictures from when I picked it up, and also after power washing at a car wash on the way home in the original For Sale link here.
The Referral post for my Burro.

Now that I have mine I can't even think of letting it go, even though my original purchase was to clean it up and sell it. If I were in the market for one now, I would feel your pain. I find that I look for others for sale, and read this site multiple times a day even though I'm not looking to buy.

The few Wanted ads I did look at when selling other campers and items on Craigslist never seemed to be offering what I thought mine was worth, I did look at similar items that were for sale and priced competitively based on those ads. I guess I look at Craigslist as a sellers market, however, that may have changed with the economy. I always tried to sell for a fair price and not to make a huge profit. Knowing what similar items were offered let me know what the competition was. I often struggle with what others have described as good or great, many "good or great condition" items I have looked at have been junk.

Mike
Old 04-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #20

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
I found my Boler from this site. It was a strange situation with strange ads on Craigslist. Another member told me where it was because he had looked at it.

I would never post a wanted ad anywhere but here, and I haven't yet even though we are in the market for another trailer. I don't want calls from people trying to sell me stick built trailers or give scammers food for thought.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #21

Sorry MikeT, I was saying MikeCM was the Lucky Duck for not having to go thru the search process! I should have clarified that better. But you were pretty lucky too, by having someone just walking by buy it. I know several times during my search I was tempted to knock on a door or two, to see if they would sell me their Egg.

MikeCM, you are a Lucky Duck! The search process is disheartening when you can't find what you want. To Stumble upon it having not knowing the craving/ache for one is pretty lucky in my book. LOL...................

Another thought to think about Lizbeth, but as I said I didn't get any response not even from Sticky Sellers. Ok so what are you looking for? Do tell.........................................
Old 04-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #22

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry

I found my boler on TheSamba.com. Which was a bit of a fluke in itself and that it was here in FL where there doesn't tend to be too much for sale any time, let alone a Boler! Even though it is a project (still).
Old 04-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: Actively shopping for a project, again.
Quote:
I know several times during my search I was tempted to knock on a door or two, to see if they would sell me their Egg.
To Stumble upon it having not knowing the craving/ache for one is pretty lucky in my book.
Robin, I know now how lucky I was. Last summer we had the Burro in the driveway up on blocks while I was redoing the lights and fixing the floor. We were away for the weekend, and got a voicemail from an older gentleman. This message was somewhat shocking and surprising, but illustrates your points quite well. Apparently he has been searching for a small (13' fiberglass trailer for quite some time). A friend of his drove by our house and noticed it in the driveway (note that we live in a very rural community, are set back from the main road quite a bit, and really do not know many of our neighbors).

The voicemail told of his friends discovery, and this gentleman's visit to our home. He just had to see one first hand, and hoped we didn't mind but he came in the driveway, opened the camper door and looked around. He got our phone number from one of our neighbors (I was shocked to hear that they even know our names.) If I wanted to sell he would love to buy it from me. He asked that I please call him back either way. He had travelled about 30 miles each way just to see the trailer.

Obviously I did not sell it to him, but we had a very pleasant conversation. He had unsuccessfully bid on many on ebay, as far away as California. I offered him a few pointers, particularly to this site and the For Sale and Referral section. I don't recall his name, but his search description did put the "normal" process into light.

If you do decide to knock on a few doors, I would suggest that you talk to the owners and not just climb into someone elses trailer. At the time of his visit I had many of my tools sitting in the unlocked trailer, and recieving a voicemail that he had been in the trailer made for an uncomfortable trip home.

In the end it was fine, but un-nerving.

Mike
Old 04-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #24

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
Sorry MikeT, I was saying MikeCM was the Lucky Duck for not haveing to go thru the search process! I should have clarified that better. But you were pretty lucky too, by having someone just walking by buy it. I know several times during my search I was tempted to knock on a door or two, to see if they would sell me their Egg.

MikeCM, you are a Lucky Duck! The search process is dishearting when you can't find what you want. To Stumble upon it having not knowing the craveiing/ache for one is pretty lucky in my book. LOL...................

Another thought to think about Lizbeth, but as I said I didn't get any response not even from Sticky Sellers. Ok so what are you looking for? Do tell.........................................
No worries, you pulled the information out of me that I should have shared the first time around!
Old 04-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #25

MikeCM. Cute story! Does drive home the point that some of us are desperate in our search. I am not in the market for one now, have our 17ft and totally happy with it. But if there was a brand I hadn't seen before I might be tempted to knock on a door to ask for a showing................ Don't think I would just walk in, but who knows how tempting a rare Egg would be. Hopefully that guy found his perfect egg.

MikeT, no problem as I said I should have clarified it the first time around. T or CM
Old 04-19-2009, 02:57 PM   #26

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I found one trailer on Craigslist (Vancouver) and one trailer on a mostly canada free ad site usedeverywhere.com (usednanaimo.com in this case). The problem with Kijiji is that Google crawls the pages slower the craigslist - so if you do a local search for trailers via google you will quite often get a craigslist post from that day whereas I frequently go to a kijiji google linked page and the posting is already pulled.

I sold my 1973 trailer on craigslist so I would overall recommend it for both selling and buying.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #27

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
If you do decide to knock on a few doors, I would suggest that you talk to the owners and not just climb into someone elses trailer. At the time of his visit I had many of my tools sitting in the unlocked trailer, and recieving a voicemail that he had been in the trailer made for an uncomfortable trip home.

In the end it was fine, but un-nerving.

Mike
Well, hope he finds his trailer and joins our community. This brings up the topic of How do you not become a stalker? Pay particular attention about making up business cards to hand out.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #28

LOL, Donna...................... Stalker, yep I guess you could have called me one before I finally got one. Never heard it put that way.