View Poll Results: Stratagies used for FINDING that must-have Egg
Answering a FOR SALE ad 26 70.27%
Posting a WANTED ad 3 8.11%
I'm still looking! Haven't found it yet! 2 5.41%
Other (explain in post below) 6 16.22%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Trailer: 2007 Casita
When you were searching for your egg, did you check out craigslist and other sales sites daily? The reason I ask, even though I have our egg, I enjoyed the search. So I tend to look when I have nothing going on for eggs for sale on craigslist as well as other sites. One thing that I find a lot is Wanted ads. I know when we were in the search mode I posted a Wanted ad as well, never had a reponse.

But its of my opinion that now when I am searching for ads to post here on the referrals forum and I run across more Wanted Ads versus For Sale Ads that all these Wanted ads just add to the scammers thought process? When you see more wanted then the scammers become of the mind set that there is a sucker in every crowd. And yes, us egg wanta be's are close to desperate when looking to buy our first and at some point will buy just about any egg that comes up for sale. I am just wondering if any one had success posting a Wanted Ad and if anyone else thinks these Wanted Ads just add to the scams. Plus I get tired to scrolling thru the wanted ads. LOL. Thanks for you opinions. Robin

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
One idea would be to add -wanted to your searches (depending on how you're doing them). I know when I do certain Scamp searches, I always add -dodge -plymouth to eliminate the cars/parts for that model

Not trying to put the kibosh on the thread, by the way, just chipping in.

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I started looking more than a year ago, when the economy was much better and folks were apparently buying more new back then and so disposing of their old ones. Now, as far as I can tell, few buy new. I am guessing at that because where I would find 5-6 Casitas or Scamps a week for sale somewhere in the US back then, now I am lucky to see that many in a month. I searched eBay and Craigslist and various newspapers want ads and wore Google out looking too. To be honest, though, the best source I discovered are on the three Casita/Scamp forums on their for sale sections. That was where I found mine. For some reason those that have them sure are holding onto them. I was lucky. Good luck to you on your quest. Just what are you looking for?
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

I thought I'd add a poll on ads.
(Not to be confused with adding an ad for a pole)
  • What did you try?
  • What Worked for you?
  • Are you still Looking?
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
Thanks Frederick for adding a poll. It will be interesting to see how people search.

Honestly I was just wondering if all the ad's for "Wanted Eggs" add to scammers radar? Meaning the more they see "we" want them that they figure they will try and get a scam over on us. As well as, if I as a seller searched for a price point to price my trailer and saw all these people looking for a egg, I might tend to price my trailer a little higher. Just wondering if people posting want ads are just adding misery to their hunt.

John, I am not looking, it's just that I enjoy the search and tend to seek out the for sales and post them on the referral forum for everyone who is searching. Whenever I got a minute or two I just look and post them on referrals like I said I enjoyed the hunt. But now since I am not looking for myself I just wondered about the (I want an fiberglass egg ad).

Glad to hear your hunt wasn't so bad. Last year when I was looking it seemed egg's were selling within minutes of being posted for sale. The first one I bought was one I found on craigslist but sure enough I checked here on the referral forum and it had just been posted 5 min before, I still got it! The one I bought a week later was also on craigslist, and thankfully no one here caught it for a few days, by then it was mine, all mine....................
Old 04-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
I found people discussing whether or not our UHaul was a good buy on this forum. It was posted in ebay at the time. Ten minutes after finding the discussion here, we hit the "Buy It Now" and bought it.

1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud, "The Egg Carton"
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #7
Name: Mike
Trailer: Actively shopping for a project, again.
When I bought my 82 Burro, just about a year ago, I did not even know what a Fiberglass Egg was. I stumbled across the Craigslist ad, and just had to have it. It was the worst looking camper I had ever seen, but could tell that it would clean up nice. It really did, stopped at a car wash on the way home and power-washed it. My intention was to fix it up and flip it, but as soon as it was home, it was at home. We fell in love with the little guy, and it looks so cute parked next to our 23 foot Rockwood Roo.

A few weeks later I came across this forum, and my camper was in the referral section. I got it for a steal at $300, the woman I bought it from just wanted it out of the yard. I was the first to reply to the ad, but she received over 300 emails in a few hours after mine.

Had I know about this site I would have made a more informed purchase, and known what I was getting into. It probably would not have changed the price, not stopped me from purchasing. I would have know to check the floor and the frame a little more carefully however.

So now we have two campers one that sleeps two, and one that sleeps ten. If we are going as a family with all the kids and friends we take the Roo. If we are camping as a couple we take the Burro, I also plan to take it out when camping with the Boy Scouts this summer.

I have bought and sold a few popups on Craigslist, and really never pay attention to the Want ads. I doubt the scammers both to do much research, as I find all types of stuff for sale in Craigslist that is clearly a scam. The easiest give away is usually the listed price ($1234 instead of $1250 as an example.) I did receive a few replies looking for me to ship my $1000 popup to Africa, and the purchaser was willing to pay me $5000, and arrange for shipping, while paying with a cashiers check. Those offers were so confusing and amusing that it hard to see how anyone could fall for such a scam. Some of the crooks must be smarter or more creative than others.

Former 83 Burro Owner (destroyed in fire)
Looking for a new Fiberglass Project Trailer in New England.
MikeCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
Name: Joe
Trailer: Hunter Industries
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Personally I found my rig on Craigslist. It might have already been gone if it hadn't been mis-spelled (Compac or Compoc, I believe it was...) It was being posted by a daughter who was trying to help her elderly father sell his little trailer. I wasn't necessarily hunting for a Hunter product at the time, but when I saw it in person, it clicked that it was a rig that would fit my needs no problem. And now, I've grown to love it! hehe

I was basically doing what I think a lot of other folks are and have done though, I was searching through Craigslist location by location, seeing what was out there.
I've shopped in EBay for things in the past, and will probably continue to, but as far as trailers go they usually seem to be rather high priced on there. I felt the same way about many of the Trader-type papers and sites also.

Granted, I'm all for paying a fair price for something, but I'm not looking to pay a 50% markup for someone's commission or something either. And don't we all really love to find a 'total steal' deal at heart? hehe

I DO enjoy seeing all the referral posts though, from folks like Robin and others, just to see what's out there still, what prices are kind of running at, stuff like that. And when I am ready for a new-to-me rig down the road, I know there are plenty of 'eyes' watching for possibilities, that it's not all just on me...hehe

Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
We bought both our BFs new and recently sold the older one to a walk by....

Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp

Hi Robin,

I bought my trailer last weekend based on a referral from you! The referrals and "for sale" ads here on FGRV were very helpful. I have been looking for about 6 months. I searched Craigslist and Ebay regularly as well as using Jaxd to search a wider geographic range of listings. Ultimately having the postings from you, Greg A and others here was the most helpful for me.

The helpfulness of this group when it comes to answering questions about FGRV's is also PRICELESS!

Our family has just returned from our maiden voyage and I will post details and questions soon.

Thank you all for your help!

Crystal B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #11
Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
... One thing that I find a lot is Wanted ads. ... When you see more wanted then the scammers become of the mind set that there is a sucker in every crowd.
I have quite often noticed that a "wanted" ad appears almost simultaneously with a new suspect "for sale" ad. You think that's a coincidence?
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:44 PM   #12
Mike, You didn't even have to go thru all the heartache of getting beat out on several Egg sales? Lucky Duck! I think that was the hardest part of trying to buy one. So when you sell something you don't look at the Wanted Ads searching for what your selling? hmmm, interesting to know. Thanks for your opinion.

Joe, Thankfully that lady didn't hit spell check! Great find.

Congrats Crystal! Now we need to see pic's and you need to update your profile with the type of trailer you bought. Glad to hear you were active in your search. I was like you and scouried craigslist, etc, it was a hard process but so worth it in the end, several times I would find one then come here to the referrals and sure enough Greg would have already posted. Thankfully he was out of town when I found the one I really wanted and no one caught it for a few days. Jaxed is way cool, only wished I had known about it when I was searching. Again Congrats! Enjoy!

Good Question Dana! Like I said I was just wondering, since I scroll thru so many ads and it just seems like when I see so many want ads the scam ads seem to start appearing more. Thankfully so many are able to detect the scams and flag them. But again just wondering.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #13
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
When we began our 'egg hunt' we didn't know anything about Craig's List et al. After lurking and learning here on FGRV, we lucked out on eBay!

We had just returned from a van-camping trip to the Midwest when I logged on to see what was happening on eBay, and there it was! Our 'bidding angel' was on duty and we were the highest bidders ... just a 'few' bucks over our pre-agreed-upon limit. The kicker was we had to travel from NV to Kansas City to pick it up ... so off we went. One delightful and quirky surprise was the sellers were friends of friends from my "other life" and they made us feel like family.

Can't say I'd risk another purchase on eBay now - the scams have me spooked. Anyway, our GeezerEgg is probably 'alpha & omega' - the first and the last, and we're still lovin' it after almost 5 years. Thanx for starting this interesting thread. Regards, L 'n D
“Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.” A. Einstein
David & Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #14
Trailer: 1981 Burro 13 ft
Here's how I found my egg.

I'v never been a "camper", but I love to travel by car and bring along the pup. Finding a hotel to stop for the night that takes dogs is not only frustrating, but once found, are typically very disappointing.

I got a "hair" one day to search for a "lightweight" trailer my vehicle could tow, found this site and for me, discovered the existence of the fiberglass trailer because of this site. I immediately became rather infatuated with them.

To find my egg, I searched here first, then did the jaxed Craiglist and ebay searches myself, then I posted a "wanted" ad here, and only here (and continued proactive searches).

One day, a member from here who lives a short distance away contacted me about his 81 Burro that he was planning on putting up for sale. I went to see it, thought it was nice and was priced fairly, and I bought it. Thank you, pjanits! (who is a super nice guy, BTW).

Clearly many "wanted" ads will tend to drive up the price of something when demand exceeds supply. That said, clearly there are people who try to manipulate markets (ya think?) but price to value lies in the eye of the beholder. That is simply our free market system at work. And "scammers"?? ...well, BUYER BEWARE always applies.

LizP is offline   Reply With Quote