I have done a bit of Nevada Travels how about you. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-13-2016, 01:56 PM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
I have done a bit of Nevada Travels how about you.

How many here have done the E.T. Hwy in Nevada, I know I have not and was wondering how everyone liked it, did you hit any cows? miss any Aliens?
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Haven't done the "Extra Terrestrial" Highway (Hwy 375) or the "Loneliest Road," (Hwy 50) but I have had my trailer through a good deal of Nevada from Loughlin, Searchlight, Las Vegas, Red Rock, Pahrump, Beatty, Goldfield, Tonopah, Hawthorne, Fallon, Lovelock, Rye Patch, Winnemucca, Denio Junction, and the Virgin Valley Opal mining areas (Hwy 140.) The northern Virgin River and Virgin Valley, not the one north of Lake Mead near Las Vegas area.) We go down to Virgin Valley each year to dig for opals. No matter where you go in Nevada, it seems like there are "miles and miles of miles and miles."
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
I found out what Mormon locusts are when I drove Hwy 50 in June.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:34 PM   #4

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We did it in 2014. We saw no aliens but we did have a burger at the "Lil Ale in". We had to stop and let one herd of cows cross the road. We also went from Vegas to Reno by way of Tonapah. We very much enjoyed Walker Lake.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:11 AM   #5

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
We have traveled portions or all of 93, 95, 305, 376, 140, 160, I-84, I-15, nice roads little traffic (except interstates) and wide open spaces but you have to enjoy rugged hills and high desert? Our favorite places Austin, Beatty and Great Basin NP. Things to watch out for are cows, wild horses and burrows, this is open range so the driver is responsible for anything they hit. The Benchmark Nevada Road and Recreation Map is a very valuable source finding back road points of interest and camping. Two words of caution keep and eye on that gas gauge and keep it 1/2 full, gas as fuel can be far apart (here in Eastern Oregon the saying is "1/2 full is empty"). Finale advice if your not interested in what they have to offer avoid Las Vegas and Reno they are the armpit of the earth and their drivers are the worst.
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #6

Oregon
Now that I reread your post the answer you are seeking is we have travels the ET highway and found it boring, to much closed off military land and to many ET tourist traps and no ETs to be found but I did get what could be the worst cup of coffee ever at an ET Trap, but down the road I got a great breakfast in Beatty.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
We went across highway 6 and I never want to see that area again. Nothing there and no cell service and no traffic. Made me worry if something went wrong
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:06 AM   #8

Name: Estella
Trailer: Currently shopping.
California
Send a message via Yahoo to LaFille1
Good answer Larry...folks, you're NOT missing anything by not going through Reno or Vegas! I think Vegas is one of the first places to be on the rapture day list to be left behind, not worth to save that place.
LaFille1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #9

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
We went across highway 6 and I never want to see that area again. Nothing there and no cell service and no traffic. Made me worry if something went wrong
That what attracts us to this area, except for medical emergencies your pretty safe after all you have everything you need to survive in your Casita. We have always had problems with cell service in Nevada and other places in the West until last month our trip to AZ and NM we covered several roads in E. NV and had great cell service and all we did was switch from ATT. to Virizon, a world of difference I was amazed where we received a signal.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:50 PM   #10

British Columbia
I agree with u 100% about 1/2 full, Had that same experience with

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf View Post
We have traveled portions or all of 93, 95, 305, 376, 140, 160, I-84, I-15, nice roads little traffic (except interstates) and wide open spaces but you have to enjoy rugged hills and high desert? Our favorite places Austin, Beatty and Great Basin NP. Things to watch out for are cows, wild horses and burrows, this is open range so the driver is responsible for anything they hit. The Benchmark Nevada Road and Recreation Map is a very valuable source finding back road points of interest and camping. Two words of caution keep and eye on that gas gauge and keep it 1/2 full, gas as fuel can be far apart (here in Eastern Oregon the saying is "1/2 full is empty"). Finale advice if your not interested in what they have to offer avoid Las Vegas and Reno they are the armpit of the earth and their drivers are the worst.
:my wife driving, I said to her when you get to 1/2 full pull in and get gas while I caught up on some much needed sleep. She ignored my warning and kept on going, I woke and was looking out the window and saw this big camp like a forestry outfit. I kind of came awake and I asked her how much gas and she said almost empty and I said pull over. She did this, I checked the gauge and it was almost empty, I got her to figure out the distance to our next gas and I said well run out of gas unless we can get 2-3 gallons. I took over the wheel and found a spot to turn around in and headed back to the that Camp I saw and went in and some guy asked if he could help and I told him our dilemma and he said all he could do was give me 3 gallons of gas which I gladly took. Off we went on what was in the tank and the 3 gallons we got in the camp. We made it to Redmond and took 73 gallons in a 75 gallon tank, so we were breathing fumes. I still have a problem with her in not fueling up when have full.
stude
Old 10-14-2016, 11:55 PM   #11

British Columbia
I want to thank you all for writing about your travels in Nevada

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf View Post
:you all have given us some more places to go and see in Nevada, I myself boondocked. What I have seen there with no problems due to hardly any other vehicles, did see a lot of wild Donk's. Also a good shortcut to the Bonneville Salt Flats.
Stude