I have gone to the dark side.... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Who cares? All of us who travel or live in a small trailer have too much in common to quibble over arbitrary lines in the sand. It's a beautiful trailer Jim, and I'm really impressed by the weight.

David

Old 11-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #16

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool It's all good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Does your journey to the "Dark side" mean there's a position open for a new moderator?
Jim is not setting any precedence here; He's not the only Moderator that has a non-molded trailer.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #17

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Jim, it's beautiful and looks like a quality rig. Congratulations on finding a trailer that's right for you!
Old 11-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #18

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft
Illinois
Congratulations Jim. We hope you have many happy camping trips with your new RV.

Bill and Pat
Old 11-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Karalyn, this Lance is almost the same size and weight as my KZ Escape. I lost 2 mpg compared to my 17' Burro widebody. So I'll guess that Jim is facing about the same difference vs his Eggcamper on fuel economy.

Jim, can you open the bathroom door when the slide is in?

I like the look of the 26 gallon water tanks, and the cabinetry appears well built. I see it has a tankless water heater, too!
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:52 AM   #20

Trailer: casita freedom dlx 17
Jim, Congratulations on the new rig. I wouldn't call it the dark side. I think we are all after the same concept, compact, light weight, fiberglass rigs. Heck your lance weighs less than the escape 19 we talked about. Looks like Lance has put together a well thought out camper. I love the winterizing kit, the tankless water heater, and the storage. Man those compartments look huge!

I do have one question. Does it have only 1 propane tank? Did you find yourself needing more while winter camping? We have two tanks on our casita and I don't recall even using one up all camping season.

Also, how about batteries and battery life? I noticed Lance offers a solar option did you get it?

What kind of mileage are you getting with this rig vs your egg camper?

Happy travels,

Don and Brenda
Old 11-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Karalyn, this Lance is almost the same size and weight as my KZ Escape. I lost 2 mpg compared to my 17' Burro widebody. So I'll guess that Jim is facing about the same difference vs his Eggcamper on fuel economy.

Jim, can you open the bathroom door when the slide is in?

I like the look of the 26 gallon water tanks, and the cabinetry appears well built. I see it has a tankless water heater, too!
The bath door is a pocket door and yes, you can squeeze by and use if needed.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #22

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W. View Post
Jim, Congratulations on the new rig. I wouldn't call it the dark side. I think we are all after the same concept, compact, light weight, fiberglass rigs. Heck your lance weighs less than the escape 19 we talked about. Looks like Lance has put together a well thought out camper. I love the winterizing kit, the tankless water heater, and the storage. Man those compartments look huge!

I do have one question. Does it have only 1 propane tank? Did you find yourself needing more while winter camping? We have two tanks on our casita and I don't recall even using one up all camping season.

Also, how about batteries and battery life? I noticed Lance offers a solar option did you get it?

What kind of mileage are you getting with this rig vs your egg camper?

Happy travels,

Don and Brenda
Don,
It has one battery, I got a group 31 120 a/h battery and plan on installing a 40 watt solar later on the roof. There is one propane tank and I have a backup replacement. It is a new 25 lb fiberglass tank which is see thru. The 20lb on the trailer has a gauge by the way, so I have a spare. I'm sure either will get you thru a week. The tankless heater uses less propane since it does not have to keep the tank hot.
The heater has a nice thermostat which seems not to have the "swings" from the bi-metallic spring type you see in a lot of campers. I got 13 mpg pulling with the Jeep thru the mountains, will need to check with the Hemi Ram but that seems to get 13 mpg all the time, towing or not.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #23

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Do you have a link or documentation that came with your trailer says what Lance uses instead of the wood backed fiberglass? The prevalent delamination wood backed bond method so often reported. I could not find the the answer on the Lance site. I'm sure it was right in front of my eyes as usual
Old 11-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #24

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Do you have a link or documentation that came with your trailer says what Lance uses instead of the wood backed fiberglass? The prevalent delamination wood backed bond method so often reported. I could not find the the answer on the Lance site. I'm sure it was right in front of my eyes as usual
Here you go
AZDEL onboard Azdel Users
Old 11-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #25

US
Thanks, I thought this was a Very interesting article how lance used SolidWorks and CNC machines to make them stronger and lighter. Also the "CNC machine at Lance routing wire paths into insulation like a circuit on a microchip" Amazing. 2010 TOUR: Lance Campers
Old 11-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #26

US
The Lance site says 2,480 pounds Approximate gross dry weight. Sure is light for a slide-out wow. Did yours have a sticker on it somewhere showing the weight as it sits in your driveway? Or maybe something on your invoice showing the real weight? Thanks
Old 11-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #27

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
The Lance site says 2,480 pounds Approximate gross dry weight. Sure is light for a slide-out wow. Did yours have a sticker on it somewhere showing the weight as it sits in your driveway? Or maybe something on your invoice showing the real weight? Thanks
my wet weight with all options- air conditioning, microwave, power awning, tv,2 fantastic fans from factory was 2730 on the yellow sticker, add propane fill and battery- 2800 on street and out the door.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #28

Pennsylvania
Registry
One more thing I found out, it has self adjusting brakes and nev-r-lube axles.