Old 12-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #72

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
With tolls and gas and leaving an Egg, I wanted to have a bigger small one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Or a smaller bigger one.
Is that like Jumbo Shrimp?

Old 01-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #73

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, the 1685 was/is the bigger sister to the 1575, a foot larger and dual axles but another 1000#. With tolls and gas and leaving an Egg, I wanted to have a bigger small one.
There is a dealer in Petaluma. Chris and I looked at both the 1575 and the 1685. For us the 1685 is a better fit, and with our Tow Beast, not an issue.

The 1575 being a newer model has several features not available on the larger sibling. Dual pane windows and the tankless water heater for example.

Too bad they are not in the larger one.

When you look at the Lance, notice there are no moldings where the walls meet the ceiling. That says, tight fit, exact dimensions.

Chris and I are going to Quartzite next month and spending 3 weeks in the Casita in Feb. We will know if it is too small after that. If we upsize, I am 90% sure it will be a Lance, and probably the 1685.

Good choice CPAHARLEY!
Old 01-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #74

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Thanks,
I'm taking it out tonite, it's going to be around 14 with wind chills down to -0-, good test for winter use. I'll post the results this week.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #75

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Jim, Just looked at the youtube video on your trailer, very nice indeed. I can't wait to see it @ the end of June at Egg Fest. Does this have the cassette toilet ? Tim
Old 01-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #76

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
No, I wish it did, but it is a conventional one with foot flush. I had a cassette in my T@da and loved it. See you in June....
Old 01-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #77

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Yep, I had one in my Northstar and loved it also, hopefully they will offer it at some point.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #78

Name: E. Keith
Trailer: None at the moment :-(
Colorado
Hi CpaHarley,

I don't know if you saw my post recently, but we sold our Casita last Friday and we're seriously looking for the same issues you did. We saw the Lance TT's at an RV show here in Denver last Thursday and really like them. I love the 1575 but that Bathroom is just too tight for me. So the Lance 1685 is at the top of our list now. I'm looking at a lot of things and have discovered the Heartland EDGE M-21. If you go to < | Heartland RVs, you can see it. They may have stopped production, but I hope not. Will find out next week. Also, I don't think it will work, but check this out. www.livinlite.com

I'll be interested in how your new unit works for you.

Regards,
Keith
Old 01-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #79

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
There is a dealer in Petaluma. Chris and I looked at both the 1575 and the 1685. For us the 1685 is a better fit, and with our Tow Beast, not an issue.

The 1575 being a newer model has several features not available on the larger sibling. Dual pane windows and the tankless water heater for example.

Too bad they are not in the larger one. <_<

When you look at the Lance, notice there are no moldings where the walls meet the ceiling. That says, tight fit, exact dimensions.

Chris and I are going to Quartzite next month and spending 3 weeks in the Casita in Feb. We will know if it is too small after that. If we upsize, I am 90% sure it will be a Lance, and probably the 1685.

Good choice CPAHARLEY!
Just read this thread and the only thing I'm concerned about with the 1685 is the TPO "rubber type" Roof. I, too, wish they had some of the 1575 features.

EKW
Old 01-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #80

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Is that like Jumbo Shrimp?

No, it's like a "Clean Chinese Restaurant". No, wait a minute....that's an oxymoron, right?

EKW
Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #81

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Williams View Post
Just read this thread and the only thing I'm concerned about with the 1685 is the TPO "rubber type" Roof. I, too, wish they had some of the 1575 features.

EKW
I did research on the roofs on the 1685's. There was anecdotal evidence of sagging at the A/C, and you could not walk on it.

According to the Petaluma dealer, the roof is redesigned for 2012. They in fact now offer a ladder on the back so you can get up on it, and two of the inventory there did have the ladder. I climbed up and looked and saw the roof, it was as you said, a single sheet of white. But at least it is strong.

Thanks for the tip on the Edge. I looked it over and it too has some nice features. There is no couch in the Lance, and no dinette in the Edge. The Lance is wider, and has more closets.

There is always a trade off I suppose.

And I never thought about it but CPAHarley is right. They charge you more for the tolls with an extra axle. But I will tell you that having towed the Casita in AZ at 75 MPH I liked it better at 65-70. That extra wheel is comforting if you have a blow out. Good properly inflated tires will not usually blow out though.

So many things to consider.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #82

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Williams View Post
No, it's like a "Clean Chinese Restaurant". No, wait a minute....that's an oxymoron, right?

EKW
Well, clean "good" Chinese restaurant is. If you go and the restrooms are clean, leave immediately because the food will not be good.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #83

Pennsylvania
Registry
Before I had my Nest Egg, I had a Lance 1880, which has been discontinued. It had a TPO roof like the 1685 and I did not like the maintenance issues. After owning a fiberglass trailer, I was not going to go backwards. But I wanted the insulated windows and insulated walls. Thus when the Lance came out with the 1575 with fiberglass roof, I had to investigate.
Dan, another item is the smaller 9200 Coleman Polar Cub which Lance offered and can be operated off a 2000 watt Honda, the bigger 13,500 unit can not. But you can get 12v pads on both the 1685 and 1575 holding tanks if you want it.
As far as the axles, the tolls seemed to be triple of a single. If the toll was $4 for a car with 2 axles, you would think it would be another $4 for a trailer, but no, it is more like $8 and you can not sit and discuss the issue while in line.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #84

Pennsylvania
Registry
I found out this weekend, camping in single digits you will need to use your propane furnace. It ran about 15 minutes every hour. I cracked a vent and there was absolutely no condensation to be found anywhere inside. There was some frost on my compartment doors interior. I have thermometers in the storage areas under the bed where it was 27 while outside it was 9 and inside it was 60. I found a couple of cold air leaks which will need to be closed off in winter, like the refer exterior vents, operate off 12v or electric while hooked up and around the wheel wells will need some fiberglass.
Otherwise it was was toasty and the digital antenna picked up 27 stations, I watched the playoffs while camping! I was a happy camper!