I have gone to the dark side.... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Karalyn, this Lance is almost the same size and weight as my KZ Escape. I lost 2 mpg compared to my 17' Burro widebody. So I'll guess that Jim is facing about the same difference vs his Eggcamper on fuel economy.

Jim, can you open the bathroom door when the slide is in?

I like the look of the 26 gallon water tanks, and the cabinetry appears well built. I see it has a tankless water heater, too!
The bath door is a pocket door and yes, you can squeeze by and use if needed.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #22

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W. View Post
Jim, Congratulations on the new rig. I wouldn't call it the dark side. I think we are all after the same concept, compact, light weight, fiberglass rigs. Heck your lance weighs less than the escape 19 we talked about. Looks like Lance has put together a well thought out camper. I love the winterizing kit, the tankless water heater, and the storage. Man those compartments look huge!

I do have one question. Does it have only 1 propane tank? Did you find yourself needing more while winter camping? We have two tanks on our casita and I don't recall even using one up all camping season.

Also, how about batteries and battery life? I noticed Lance offers a solar option did you get it?

What kind of mileage are you getting with this rig vs your egg camper?

Happy travels,

Don and Brenda
Don,
It has one battery, I got a group 31 120 a/h battery and plan on installing a 40 watt solar later on the roof. There is one propane tank and I have a backup replacement. It is a new 25 lb fiberglass tank which is see thru. The 20lb on the trailer has a gauge by the way, so I have a spare. I'm sure either will get you thru a week. The tankless heater uses less propane since it does not have to keep the tank hot.
The heater has a nice thermostat which seems not to have the "swings" from the bi-metallic spring type you see in a lot of campers. I got 13 mpg pulling with the Jeep thru the mountains, will need to check with the Hemi Ram but that seems to get 13 mpg all the time, towing or not.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Do you have a link or documentation that came with your trailer says what Lance uses instead of the wood backed fiberglass? The prevalent delamination wood backed bond method so often reported. I could not find the the answer on the Lance site. I'm sure it was right in front of my eyes as usual
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #24

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Do you have a link or documentation that came with your trailer says what Lance uses instead of the wood backed fiberglass? The prevalent delamination wood backed bond method so often reported. I could not find the the answer on the Lance site. I'm sure it was right in front of my eyes as usual
Here you go
AZDEL onboard » Azdel Users
Old 11-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #25

Thanks, I thought this was a Very interesting article how lance used SolidWorks and CNC machines to make them stronger and lighter. Also the "CNC machine at Lance routing wire paths into insulation like a circuit on a microchip" Amazing. 2010 TOUR: Lance Campers
Old 11-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #26

The Lance site says 2,480 pounds Approximate gross dry weight. Sure is light for a slide-out wow. Did yours have a sticker on it somewhere showing the weight as it sits in your driveway? Or maybe something on your invoice showing the real weight? Thanks
Old 11-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #27

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
The Lance site says 2,480 pounds Approximate gross dry weight. Sure is light for a slide-out wow. Did yours have a sticker on it somewhere showing the weight as it sits in your driveway? Or maybe something on your invoice showing the real weight? Thanks
my wet weight with all options- air conditioning, microwave, power awning, tv,2 fantastic fans from factory was 2730 on the yellow sticker, add propane fill and battery- 2800 on street and out the door.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #28

Pennsylvania
Registry
One more thing I found out, it has self adjusting brakes and nev-r-lube axles.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #29

Trailer: 24 ft 5th Wheel Shadow Cruiser
Wow! now that something to look into ?? are there any mid states dealers yet?? my wife is starting to have problems getting into & makeing the bed in our Fiver,,and i maybe looking at a bumper pull soon,,but keeping my tug,,Ron
Ron Humerickhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #30

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
very nice-looking rig! the slide-out will certainly give you much more room. i like it!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #31

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Humerickhouse View Post
Wow! now that something to look into ?? are there any mid states dealers yet?? my wife is starting to have problems getting into & makeing the bed in our Fiver,,and i maybe looking at a bumper pull soon,,but keeping my tug,,Ron
I know there is a Lance dealer north of chicago, Kramer's Kampers is where I bought a Lance trailer about 2 years ago. It was a dual axle 22' which was too big, slept 7!. I sold it before buying the Nest Egg which the current smaller Lance trailer has replaced.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #32

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bed Making

Quote:

I resolved the bed making issue but becoming the daily Bedmaker. It seemed fair since she made the bed for 40 some years....

In SUnny Myrtle Beach State Park, the guy on one side is smoking a turkey and a Casita is on the other side....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #33

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

I resolved the bed making issue but becoming the daily Bedmaker. It seemed fair since she made the bed for 40 some years....

In SUnny Myrtle Beach State Park, the guy on one side is smoking a turkey and a Casita is on the other side....
How do you smoke a "Casita"? that is what is known as a dangling participle- enjoy the smells if you are not having dinner with him.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:39 AM   #34

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: cpaharley... How do you smoke a "Casita"? Tow it to fast!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:50 AM   #35

Trailer: 24 ft 5th Wheel Shadow Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Well Norm that would be much cheaper than getting another trailer 4 sure Ron
Ron Humerickhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #36

Florida
Shadow Cruiser

Quote:
Well Norm that would be much cheaper than getting another trailer 4 sure Ron
I saw my first Shadow Cruiser today, there's one parked on our row at Myrtle Beach St. Park. Nice looking but not too tall in the bedroom.

I'd certainly trade making the bed for being on the road. We met a couple who retired at 55 and full timed in a large rig for 10 years. Stopped and became a home couple but soon discovered how much it was in their blood and now at 79 are traveling in a Casita.....

Safe travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #37

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Are the turkey and Casita better smoked or snorted?
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #38

Florida
Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Are the turkey and Casita better smoked or snorted?
Turkey is good just about anyway you can get it. At my age snorting anything is out of the question.

As one ages you need to be careful of edge activities. I'm amazed that as you age that what was a small bobbles in youth can be terminal as we age.

My goal use to be to maximize fun, it is now to maximize fun with minimum risk. Here's what happened yesterday.

A large motorhome towing a car attempted to make a u-turn in the park, blocking our path and the road. The young park ranger encouraged him to back up to complete the turn, a towing no-no in a motorhome, while telling him she needed him to move, 70 rigs were coming in.

I got out and said I'd help him disconnect the car. We managed to drive out the pins in the process my screwdriver got stuck in the hitch. The ranger and I were between the motorhome and the towed vehicle. The motorhome owner told his wife to get in the car and put it in neutral to help release the screwdriver. She did and than...

She stepped on the accelerator and drove the car right at us. Fortunately our feet were quicker than our brains and she drove the car into the hitch, putting a hole in her bumper. The husband, never considering me or the ranger, screamed at his shocked wife about the hole she had created.

Sometimes danger is totally unexpected. My wife asked if my life flashed by, all that flashed was move feet, move....

Safe travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #39

Name: George
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Texas
One time we were camping on a lake in Illinois. This older couple were waterskiing with the wife driving the boat. Husband motioned that he wanted to go over the ramp... so his wife drove the boat up the ramp... got stuck and ruined the boat but caused the rest of us an interesting memory.

I am glad you were not hurt. Safe travels ahead.
Gchilds17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #40

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs in Texas View Post
One time we were camping on a lake in Illinois. This older couple were waterskiing with the wife driving the boat. Husband motioned that he wanted to go over the ramp... so his wife drove the boat up the ramp... got stuck and ruined the boat but caused the rest of us an interesting memory.

I am glad you were not hurt. Safe travels ahead.
Was she blonde?

Oh, and I was wondering how that guy stuffed the turkey into his pipe to smoke it...
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote