I have good news and bad news.... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
I'd love to have a 19 ft. Escape, although there are a couple of features that I know I wouldn't like. (One is no Fantastic Fan over the bed.)
Mary is there a reason they cant add one to that area? I know they often have a/c there but if that was not there can it not be a fan instead? seems odd. or is it a roof structural issue that makes it not possible to move the A/c forward a little to accommodate another fan behind it? I realize they do also have a fan closer to the front.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Welcome to becoming an "East Coast Escape Owners!" (Although at the moment I'm in Tupleo, MS heading west.)
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, I foresee a US Escape Rally vs the one held in Canada every year.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #24

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I once drove 1400 mi in 23 hours and slept an hour of that. Laramie WYO to Columbus OH. The next day I slept and slept and slept. Maybe with two drivers but both of you stay on the safe end of the fatigue/alertness curve. Over the road truckers have logs for a reason. The state can't limit your time at the wheel; you can. At least you won't have to get a motel room on the return should you need something more extended and comfy than a catnap. Be safe, Jim.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #25

Pennsylvania
Registry
I have done some preliminary calculations. Leaving Sat 6am and driving non stop to 6 pm sunday-Billings, Mt. STop and get a room/shower/sleep. Depart 7 am Monday and drive another 14 hours and arrive at canada/usa border, stop get a room. Tuesday pick up Escape and leave by 1 pm and return 12 hours to Butte, Mt stop and sleep in camper.
Wed, drive the "Going to Sun Highway" (it is on my bucket list) and stop for night in Buffalo, Wy. Thurs drive to Iowa, stop, Friday stop in Indianna, Sat stop in Pa, arrive home sunday total miles 5800 in 9 days
Old 05-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #26

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Maybe that's doable baring mechanical and intestinal downtime but that first 36 sure sounds like the house of pain to me.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Is that the best you can do for time off from work? Sounds grueling and torturous.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #28

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Maybe you already know this but you are not allowed to take a trailer across the Going to the Sun highway. Some very narrow places and some low overhangs. Drive it without your trailer anyway and then take U.S.2 around the south end of the park. Very scenic. Stop at the Goat Lick on the way. Do not take U.S.2 out of Montana. The N.D. oil boom makes campgrounds and RV parks unavailable. We found out the hard way and were one of many RVs in the Walmart parking lot at Williston.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, I foresee a US Escape Rally vs the one held in Canada every year.
LOL just go to the Bandon rally.... the Escapes are multiplying ever year at an amazing rate....
Old 05-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #30

Registry
Quote:
I have done some preliminary calculations. Leaving Sat 6am and driving non stop to 6 pm sunday-Billings, Mt. STop and get a room/shower/sleep. Depart 7 am Monday and drive another 14 hours and arrive at canada/usa border, stop get a room. Tuesday pick up Escape and leave by 1 pm and return 12 hours to Butte, Mt stop and sleep in camper.
Wed, drive the "Going to Sun Highway" (it is on my bucket list) and stop for night in Buffalo, Wy. Thurs drive to Iowa, stop, Friday stop in Indianna, Sat stop in Pa, arrive home sunday total miles 5800 in 9 days
Dang thats one heck of a schedule... no wonder only the dogs are willing to join you on the trip Suspect they may not be thrilled about it by day 2 either. You may want to consider giving a little more time to your pick up day at Escape & stay a night with the trailer near Escape just in case you discover something you want sorted out before hitting the road....
Old 05-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #31
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Mary is there a reason they cant add one to that area? I know they often have a/c there but if that was not there can it not be a fan instead? seems odd. or is it a roof structural issue that makes it not possible to move the A/c forward a little to accommodate another fan behind it? I realize they do also have a fan closer to the front.
I dunno, Carol. I haven't asked 'em. But, the position of the AC (vent) doesn't look like it's right smack dab over the bed. I don't know if they can move it or not... I'm not really in the market for one at this time, so I haven't started bugging them about the possibles.

I also don't really care for roof AC at all... but of course, AC is a must for a trailer in my neck of the woods; we've been very happy with the way the Casita's is mounted (front curbside, bottom of closet); I don't know if Escape can/will do that - their closet is on the side...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #32

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Maybe you already know this but you are not allowed to take a trailer across the Going to the Sun highway. Some very narrow places and some low overhangs. Drive it without your trailer anyway and then take U.S.2 around the south end of the park. Very scenic. Stop at the Goat Lick on the way. Do not take U.S.2 out of Montana. The N.D. oil boom makes campgrounds and RV parks unavailable. We found out the hard way and were one of many RVs in the Walmart parking lot at Williston.
I think you would be fine driving US 2 through Williston. I went that way last July and traffic flow was fine. As for camping, if you plan it right you can stop in Malta, Montana and camp at the municipal park/CG a block or two N of the highway for a $4 donation in the metal box near the entrance. No hookups, but quiet and uncrowded... just set up anywhere in the park (undesignated sites).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #33

Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm sorry, I meant to say Beartooth Highway, about 400 miles further south. Yes, I know Going to the Sun is narrow but I have read some books by Charles Kuralt who called Beartooth "the prettiest drive in the US" so I want to see my self.
Yes, I realize the first 36 hours is a bit** of a drive but my window of opportunity is 8 days and if I want a slower pace returning I have to drive like a bat out of He** to get there. I do not foresee mechanical issues as my 2009 Ram only has 7000 miles on it, not even broken in yet!!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #34

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
I dunno, Carol. I haven't asked 'em. But, the position of the AC (vent) doesn't look like it's right smack dab over the bed. I don't know if they can move it or not... I'm not really in the market for one at this time, so I haven't started bugging them about the possibles.

I also don't really care for roof AC at all... but of course, AC is a must for a trailer in my neck of the woods; we've been very happy with the way the Casita's is mounted (front curbside, bottom of closet); I don't know if Escape can/will do that - their closet is on the side...
The 17' Escape I think has the a/c on the side, at least the one for sale here on the forum.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #35

Pennsylvania
Registry
Does anyone know about border crossing with an unregistered trailer? Does Canada require tags leaving Canada to US. Once in US I'll use my current tags to get me home.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #36

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Does anyone know about border crossing with an unregistered trailer? Does Canada require tags leaving Canada to US. Once in US I'll use my current tags to get me home.
Hi: cpaharley...As far as I know, closer to the build date Tammy will have all the doc's. ready to send you. At that time you can take them into Penn Dot. and pre reg. the plate. That is if your state will allow this with a vin by mail without police visual of the trailer vin plate. Seems every state has this process different!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #37

Pennsylvania
Registry
PA requires a visual, so that will have to wait until the trailer is in state, more concerned with getting the trailer into US from Canada, will Canada let it go out and will US let it in without tags? Do they ask for registration leaving Canada or entering US? I have the tags from my other trailer I can use once I'm inside the US.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #38
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
I have put in an order for a new Escape 19' to be hatched on July 9th.
Congrats!! Had a look at the pics of the Escape 19. Very nice. It is rare to see a tandem axle TT under 20' anymore. An aerodynamic fiberglass shell, dual axles, light weight, easy tow. Really sounds like a winner.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #39

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
PA requires a visual, so that will have to wait until the trailer is in state, more concerned with getting the trailer into US from Canada, will Canada let it go out and will US let it in without tags? Do they ask for registration leaving Canada or entering US? I have the tags from my other trailer I can use once I'm inside the US.
Hi: cpaharley2008... Tammy has all the export forms and doc's at Escape. Since the bulk of their trailers are destined for the US she is right up on the paperwork required.
A new 5.0 just arrived in Mich. untagged for 5000mi. JC was advised not to use his boat trailer plates tho!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #40

Registry
Jim, as Alf has said Escape will give you everything you need to make the import process go fast - although I recommend you hit the border either really early in the morning or in the evening as although the process of the paper work will take less than half an hour the wait due to long line ups both getting to the booth and then waiting inside to have it dealt with will be bad in the summer.

What will happen is once you get to the booth at the US customs you tell them you purchased the trailer and have all the paper work - they will get you to pull it all over to a side area and will send you inside to have the paper work dealt with. They may or may not go out and check the VIN on the trailer and they may or may not open the door on it to see what else you may have in there. it seems to be 50/50 either way - and its the same whether you are importing into the US or importing into Canada. Its a pretty simple process as far that goes.

Canada will not want to see or have anything to do with your trailer export - thats all dealt with by the US Customs. So all you need for entering Canada is a valid passport and copies of current rabies vaccinations certificates for the dogs (you need those going both ways) although the chances of being asked for it from personal experience is less than 5%. And leave the firearms, fruits, veggies and firewood at home - those will all land you in a heap of trouble at Canada customs. They may ask you what the purpose of your trip is and telling them your going to buy a new trailer is fine. Most likely the only thing they will say on that topic is "Thank You for buying Canadian"

The issue re the tags is one you may want to start another thread on it as it varies as to what best to do based on where you live and your insurance company. Yes BC requires tags and we actually have very heavy insurance requirements for trailers. The trailer has to have its own liability and collision insurance - the car does not cover it. As Canadian customs is not going to see the trailer they will not be the ones stopping you from going anywhere with it..... the highway patrol could though stop you - if you dont have valid plates or a temp permit on the trailer. Pretty sure if you ask Escape they again should have some info on how others have dealt with it. I do know again from personal import/export experience that US customs does not like you to use plates from another vehicle or trailer on anything that has not yet been completely imported, unless it is a totally valid temp permit or plate assigned only to the vehicle or trailer you are importing or exporting.

It may be that Escape as a dealer is able to get you a temp permit to get the trailer through BC and to the border. As far as what happens after that you have a few options - one is to again get temp permits through each state - but the best is if you can get your insurance company to issue you a temp permit using the paper work Escape gives you. I also had the problem you have in that you cant get insurance until the trailer is inspected and registered but I have since learned that although told there was no way of doing it through my own provincial insurance company that there is in fact a way of doing it on an import vehicle. You may have to ask more than one agent about it as few of them have done it before so they may not actually know all the options.

Good luck and I am sure that all this will be well worth the effort once you have the trailer!

Carol