I have seen the Nest in person! WOW! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-18-2015, 11:11 PM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: Jayco
Washington
I have seen the Nest in person! WOW!

First off, I know there is a thread for the Nest yet I wanted to start a fresh thread for people who have gotten to the Nest prototype in person.

Yesterday my wife and I got to see the Nest in person and all we can say is WOW. The style and thought that went into this product is amazing. The first impression is practical high quality and high style.

But before I go further I want to give a bit of background of our 21 years of RV ownership. When we were a young family we bought a small popup and loved it. A few years later we got the largest popup we could get. Then in 2007 we got a 31’ 5th wheel. We were building a house and we needed it to live in so we could stay on site. I say all of this because I have been around trailers and I follow the industry very close for a long time.

Now our kids are grown and we are looking for something for just us. Owning the 5th wheel and experiencing the “quality” of a Jayco lead me to look for something else. I have been looking at T@Bs, Livin’ Lite, Airstream and fiberglass trailers for a while. There is so much to love about fiberglass trailers yet they lack the style of something like an Airstream. There is nothing wrong with a Scamp but twisted wrought iron as a design feature? My Mom did that in the 70’s.

Now back the Nest. Starting with Robert. My wife and I found Robert to be bright, open, friendly and very passionate about the Nest. He is all in!! What really impressed us the most is how deeply he has thought through the design and execution. Sitting in my Jayco I just don’t think they spent a full day thinking it about the design. Beyond the layout, the attention to the design details and the placement of everything is top notch. The amount of storage is wonderful. In all of the pictures I looked at of the Nest I never really noticed how much storage it has. The high-end stove and sink are a breath of fresh air. Not typical RV hardware. A full queen bed is great and I really like the bar stools because is adds function without taking a ton of space. And it is nice to see the Alde heating system because I have always disliked the furnace fan spinning up at night. I also like that like most of the hardware is sourced from the marine industry and not the RV world. It really makes the trailer feel like it will last forever. A sharp contrast to my Jayco!

My wife’s best comment “it has the style and class of the Airsteam without the expense”. I summarize the Nest as, the design of the Airstream with all of the great benefits of a fiberglass trailer.

I hope you get the chance to see visit with Robert and see the Nest.

Lastly, Robert quoted the base price is just around $29K. Further he might have found a way to lower the price by changing a design feature. If he does this it will be price just above a T@B (with so much more to offer) and well below the Livin’ Light. I believe he has a hit on his hands!!!

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.
Rick Senechal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:49 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good to hear from someone with a hands on look, thanks.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:44 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The Nest is definitely better than a T@b, good to see progress being made.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:05 AM   #4

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-19-2015, 07:26 AM   #5

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
LOL. If you want something reminiscent of an Airstream, you need to check out an Oliver.

I take it the "design feature" they can eliminate to save cost is to make it a body on frame design. That would make it alot cheaper I'd guess, as well as probably more durable.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:52 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
First of all, I agree 100% about Scamp wrought-iron. I knew the moment I made the decision to purchase one, they had to go! Here's a viable and cheap alternative...and...the strength is uncompromised- the braces are still there!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57625973805547

The T@B is JUNK in my book. Too much plastic. I've seen them first hand and on their forum, constant complaints about the plastic constantly "splitting/cracking".

You said if we had questions-- obviously you know what the "design feature" is to save money? We would love to know that and as someone mentioned, it's more than likely a frame.

With all that said, in my opinion, it's the BEST-LOOKING fiberglass trailer on the market. I dont care for the "retro" look on any trailer- including my Scamp. I like the "modern". And the Nest HAS it. I wish him AND his continual development well! Hopefully Scamp will soon get the message and offer more modern upgrades/options...but in their defense, for the money, it's still hard to beat them for people like me starting out and unsure of everything when it comes to camping. Their resale value is also still very high. It would/will be interesting to see the resale value of the Nest Caravan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Senechal View Post
There is nothing wrong with a Scamp but twisted wrought iron as a design feature? My Mom did that in the 70’s.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:23 AM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
First of all, I agree 100% about Scamp wrought-iron. I knew the moment I made the decision to purchase one, they had to go! Here's a viable and cheap alternative...and...the strength is uncompromised- the braces are still there!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57625973805547

The T@B is JUNK in my book. Too much plastic. I've seen them first hand and on their forum, constant complaints about the plastic constantly "splitting/cracking".

You said if we had questions-- obviously you know what the "design feature" is to save money? We would love to know that and as someone mentioned, it's more than likely a frame.

With all that said, in my opinion, it's the BEST-LOOKING fiberglass trailer on the market. I dont care for the "retro" look on any trailer- including my Scamp. I like the "modern". And the Nest HAS it. I wish him AND his continual development well! Hopefully Scamp will soon get the message and offer more modern upgrades/options...but in their defense, for the money, it's still hard to beat them for people like me starting out and unsure of everything when it comes to camping. Their resale value is also still very high. It would/will be interesting to see the resale value of the Nest Caravan.
So you change the 70`s twisted wrought for the 70`s spindles that i took out of my home in the 90`s, but worse, a plastic product, If i make a change it will not be spindles. Just a thought. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:43 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Thanks for posting your findings, Rick. I too would love to meet with Robert to tour his Nest. Definitely a lot of thought went into the process of the design, and a lot of quality features and function above that used in most of the RV trailer industry.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #9

Name: George
Trailer: In the market
New Mexico
Rick, the Nest sounds amazing. Does the maker have any info online yet? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see it.
George in New Mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #10

Name: Rick
Trailer: Jayco
Washington
Here is his website, Nest Carvans
Rick Senechal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:39 AM   #11

Name: George
Trailer: In the market
New Mexico
Thank you, Rick.
George in New Mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:54 AM   #12

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I look forward to seeing the Nest in person. So far its very interesting. Then again my Scamp was half the price. And I don't tow with a Mercedes either. Ymmv.

My current Scamp doesn't have twisted iron. Its a wood model. Still I wonder if the "support with shock absorbtion" of the twisted iron might be smart. Trying to make any rolling vehicle totally rigid may be counter productive or worse lead to fastener failure. Any aeronautical engineers want to chip in?

Happy camping all!

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:01 PM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot 2002
Illinois
Sorry for the dumb question. What's a T@B?
whip2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Here ya go... t@b rot, leaks, delamination
A TAB Trailer Story: Repairing the Delaminated Side Wall

What design feature would lower the price of the Nest? Thanks for the feedback OP
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:53 PM   #15

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
T@B

Quote:
Originally Posted by whip2001 View Post
Sorry for the dumb question. What's a T@B?
T@B and T@G are the brand names of two lines of trailers.
Google each name and click on Images and you will become an expert on what they look like.

If you get interested in buying one, please check back and we can send a crises intervention team to help you resist that temptation.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:54 PM   #16

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Cool, sleek-looking Nest...but obviously designed by a man who doesn't do dishes...the obvious design flaw: no counter space next to the sink.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2001 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
Cool, sleek-looking Nest...but obviously designed by a man who doesn't do dishes...the obvious design flaw: no counter space next to the sink.
Agreed. And if you are stuck in the trailer because of poor weather, where can you sit back and read a book or watch a movie or play cards? Does the bed convert to a dinette?
ClareM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot 2002
Illinois
Thanks. that tells me all I need to know about TAB.
whip2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #19

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Style- top notch
Craftsmanship- none better
Practicality- not so sure. As others have mentioned, my wife would be saying "where's the room for cooking and doing dishes?"

I'm going to agree with the comments about the Oliver. Now that's a fiberglass alternative to an Airstream.

All of this said, Robert is a visionary, and we could use more visionaries in the RV industry. I've seen enough cheap and poorly built RVs to last a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-19-2015, 02:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Style- top notch
Craftsmanship- none better
Practicality- not so sure. As others have mentioned, my wife would be saying "where's the room for cooking and doing dishes?"

I'm going to agree with the comments about the Oliver. Now that's a fiberglass alternative to an Airstream.

All of this said, Robert is a visionary, and we could use more visionaries in the RV industry. I've seen enough cheap and poorly built RVs to last a lifetime.
This is pretty much my take, all around. Practicality is a pretty subjective thing, and compromises are always made in any design of a trailer this small. For those of us primarily using the great outdoors, the setup would be fine.

This trailer may not be for everyone, but there is no denying the innovation and quality that is put into the build.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote