I hope this isn't one of us.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-25-2014, 07:46 AM   #1

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I hope this isn't one of us....

'cause girl is in trouble...

Paintings in national parks spark probe, furor
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:04 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
wasn't me!

so where in sc ron?

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #3

South Carolina
Greer! It's near Greenville.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
It is Instagram user Creepytings. Its owner, a woman by the name of Casey Nocket, apparently went on a road trip through Western National Parks and appears to have left a long trail of graffiti in her wake.

Photo's of her and the story can be found at Modernhiker.com
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
How dare she. This is not art. Its graffiti.

What a holy mess our parks and the natural beauty would be in if everyone that visited hought they were an 'artiste' who had to deface something in order to leave their mark for others.

IMO she deserves a big fine, and community work to go back (on her dime) and clean up the messes she made.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Yea, it will be nice to see the smile on her face in the photo in Modern Hiker article wiped off her face if the Feds prosecute her to the extent she deserves. Perhaps two years of cleaning graffiti of of rail cars or inner city buildings 7 days a week will cure her.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-26-2014, 05:08 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Ron...i know greer well. i grew up (some say i actually didn't "grow up") in greenville. i taught at the greer campus of greenville tech for a while a few years ago. i'm in columbia so if you ever get this way give me a shout and we'll get together and tell trailer lies. you've picked a fine trailer!

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #8

South Carolina
I'll do that Patrick. Maybe we can have a little rally down your way. Dreher Island is a great park.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:10 PM   #9

South Carolina
I've posted this story on several forums and the responses have been the same, as I expected.

What really bothers me about Ms. Nocket's exploits is her lack of appreciation of the negative impact it will have on the rest of the public. The park service will decide on a raft of new rules and restrictions to try to prevent this from happening again. Just like every time some loon decides not to behave himself, we end up ruining the experience for everyone. Heck, I remember the days when I looked forward to flying somewhere!

So I hope everyone remembers, that although we all collectively own the parks, we are just guests when we go there and need to behave as guests. Good guests, that is.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If they just leave her graffiti alone for a hundred years, it will be a felony to deface it and we will spend millions to preserve it!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: '75 Trillium 1300
Arizona
Floyd, the difference is that some of the protected "art work" was painted/drawn/carved before the land was a protected National Park. The rules completely change when it's private property vs public lands.

A petition for her punishment can be signed here: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...np-nm/1y8xJBGm
Kelly H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly H View Post
Floyd, the difference is that some of the protected "art work" was painted/drawn/carved before the land was a protected National Park. The rules completely change when it's private property vs public lands.

A petition for her punishment can be signed here: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...np-nm/1y8xJBGm
I'm not sure there was a concept of private property when that now protected graffiti was drawn!
I do know what you mean though!

Here in IllAnnoy I have seen signs which read...
"PUBLIC PROPERTY NO TRESPASSING"
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #13

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
I hope the feds throw the book at her and it gets lot of media attrition to discourage others.
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I hope this isn't one of us....

LOL... we need more media "attrition"! It's all the media attention (even negative) that motivates these acts.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Here is the latest on it "Federal Officials Identify Casey Nocket As 'Major Suspect' In National Parks Graffiti Cases"

"LOS ANGELES, Oct 30 (Reuters) - Federal officials have publicly identified a woman suspected of graffiti vandalism in at least eight national parks across the West, including Yosemite and Death Valley in California, and credit social media for helping pinpoint the alleged culprit.

Casey Nocket of New York state has not been arrested or charged but was confirmed on Thursday as "the major suspect" in an investigation of one of the most widespread acts of serial vandalism documented in the National Park System."

The Park Service said initially it was investigating such vandalism in at least 10 Western national parks.

But agency spokeswoman Alexandra Picavet said on Thursday that Nocket had been tied as a suspect to graffiti in eight parks - Yosemite, Death Valley and Joshua Tree in California; Crater Lake in Oregon; Zion and Canyonlands in Utah; and Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado National Monument in Colorado."
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote