I just bought a .... Playpac! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-10-2009, 08:06 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
So this is my first fiberglass trailer. I've been looking for a Scamp 13' and had a "item wanted" ad on Craigslist for a Scamp/Casita/or similar fiberglass trailer. The ad was about 3 weeks old when I received a call about the Playpac. When I went to look at it a few days ago I really liked it and that was that. Towed it home today ... It hadn't been towed since 1994.

1973 Playpac
... no dome

The fiberglass is in very good condition. A few minor repairs are needed but overall very good. Its structurally sound anyway.

I am the 3rd owner. I do have the original owner's information. The interior was gutted, but I have all the interior pparts. I am planning to build a new interior w/ a full-time bed and dinette. I'll try to use most of the original parts if possible with big time modernization.

It needs:

- door repair (frame and hinge)
- minor fiberglass repair in floor
- minor subfloor repair (had rotted near door, rotted wood is already removed)
- wiring
- propane (stove and heater)
- roof vent modification
- full insulated interior

So that's that! Here are some pics of "The Traveling Jay". I'll upload more tomorrow ... I will probably post some closeups of the door because I am definitely going to need help repairing it first.

Pics at http://picasaweb.google.com/snojrnl/Playpac#
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3781.JPG   IMG_3793.JPG  

Chris Bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Chris I see you joined the Forum in August and wasted no time in acquiring a trailer. The little Playpac is one really good looking unit and it looks like yours is in pretty good condition. Let the renovations begin ! I look forward to meeting you and seeing your Playpac should our paths cross. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Looks dang good for something that hasn't moved for 15 years. Thanks for posting pictures, keep them coming as you make renovations/improvements and modifications.

Let the memories begin!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Awesome, Chris a blank slate to design. Can't wait to see what you do with it.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Congrats! I am sure you will enjoy it when you get your improvements done and yes please keep the pic's coming.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Congratulations on the trailer! That should be a fun project.

Nice reef set up. Is it still running? I did reefs for 6-7 years, got tired of all the maintenance and took the last one down last month. I built one of the first fully functional pico reefs back in 2003. When I see tanks I kind of miss them.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:16 AM   #7

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Welcome to the forum and welcome to another Play Pac owner. We've now accounted for maybe 10% of the original 75 built. Have fun with it.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #8

The rain today is keeping me away from the Playpac. I can't open the door until a dry day because once the door is pulled open it won't close again.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #9

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
The one I used to have had the floor rotted out in the exact same place. Part of the problem was the glassed in gutter-like-thing around the perimeter of the trailer at the bottom. Door leaked, gutter caught the water and HELD it - just begs for rot.

I eventually pulled and replaced the three rear windows and replaced them with sliders. The front window had to be screwed shut and caulked. Nothing I could do stopped it from leaking. It could cope sitting there - but on the road the water always got in and gunked up the curtains.

MOST (all but one) of the PlayPacs I've seen have had their interiors gutted and replaced. I'd wager it's because of water damage from those windows.

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #10

yeah ... I agree about the bottom support channels ... someone drilled a vent hole in mine below the door. I am thinking about running propane lines in this channel for a side kitchen instead of the front kitchen.

Repairing & patching the floor will come after I fix the door and windows.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=37348

Quote:
The one I used to have had the floor rotted out in the exact same place. Part of the problem was the glassed in gutter-like-thing around the perimeter of the trailer at the bottom. Door leaked, gutter caught the water and HELD it - just begs for rot.

I eventually pulled and replaced the three rear windows and replaced them with sliders. The front window had to be screwed shut and caulked. Nothing I could do stopped it from leaking. It could cope sitting there - but on the road the water always got in and gunked up the curtains.

MOST (all but one) of the PlayPacs I've seen have had their interiors gutted and replaced. I'd wager it's because of water damage from those windows.

Mike
Old 09-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #11

Trailer: Play Pac 1973
Registry
Welcome to the group of Play-Pac owners! The door will be challenging. Ours is a bit warped, but I got it to seal ok with some work. If you find a source for the strange rubber seal, I could sure use some!

We've just finished the interior in ours, and got back a few hours ago from a shake-down cruise up the Oregon coast.

I too, had a leak in the door area, with rotten floor and damaged cabinet to the left of the door. The rest of the floor was ok, so I just cut out about a 3x4 foot piece and put a new one in, then added 1/2" plywood over the whole thing.

You might take a look at this thread, http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...ic=37064&hl= which has a post of how I insulated mine.

What owner's info do you have? I copied the flyer that's in the library here, the only thing I've seen.

Steve
Stephen T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #12

I've seen the pics of your interior and it looks like you put a lot of work into it. I've got some ideas about how I want to remake my interior... but the exterior must be done first before the cold weather arrives! ... door repair and roof vent are necessary to make it weather tight. (Unsure about the windows)

What did you install for a vent? It looks like it fits the thickness well.

I removed the door today... there were only 3 very loose screws holding it in! It's a miracle the door didn't fall out when I towed it 2 hours home.
pics at http://picasaweb.google.com/snojrnl/PlaypacDoorCloseup#

Unfortunately I did not receive any manuals. I do have the full original interior, cushions & curtains.

--Chris

Quote:
Welcome to the group of Play-Pac owners! The door will be challenging. Ours is a bit warped, but I got it to seal ok with some work. If you find a source for the strange rubber seal, I could sure use some!

We've just finished the interior in ours, and got back a few hours ago from a shake-down cruise up the Oregon coast.

I too, had a leak in the door area, with rotten floor and damaged cabinet to the left of the door. The rest of the floor was ok, so I just cut out about a 3x4 foot piece and put a new one in, then added 1/2" plywood over the whole thing.

You might take a look at this thread, http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...ic=37064&hl= which has a post of how I insulated mine.

What owner's info do you have? I copied the flyer that's in the library here, the only thing I've seen.

Steve
Old 09-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #13

Trailer: Play Pac 1973
Registry
What did you install for a vent? It looks like it fits the thickness well.

I bought it on ebay, from ralco1201. It's a Ventline 14" cargo trailer roof vent and cost $30 with shipping included. It's pretty inexpensive, but seems well made. Other than a bit of fear about cutting a hole in the roof, all went well, and the trim part inside covered things just fine. It made a big difference in airflow throught the trailer!

I used a sabre saw to cut with and the trim piece for a pattern.

Steve
Stephen T. is offline   Reply With Quote