I Just Have To Ask, why Escape? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #57

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I wouldn't read to much into the lack of Escapes at rallies in certain parts of the USA. When I registered my Scamp 16' in BC six years ago the BC government run register had never registered one in BC before - only one 13'. How many years had Scamp been making trailers in the US by then and how popular of a fiberglass trailer in the US are they? Same with Casitas still only a handful of them in BC even with the easier import rules.

But be warned when an Escape eventually does show up at a rally near you, you can be sure that next year you will probably be seeing more of them at the same rally. ;-)

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #58

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Most sexy glass trailer I have seen- Oliver
In talking with Oliver, and a few owners, I was truly impressed with high level of quality that went into these trailers. I think they do look great from the outside, but the cheap white plastic looking interiors is not to my liking. Either was the price, which was what mostly turned me away though.

I am glad to hear they are going back into production, nice to have a high level of competition out there.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #59

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Full circle back to the original question Why Escape?....
Nice trailer if you can tow it, and it helps make an oversized tow vehicle look proportionate.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #60

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Niagara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Or wait until September for the Niagara Wine Escape at Niagara Falls. There will be at least one 17', 19' & 5.0, all of which live East of the Rockies!
My wife and I spent a week last September on the Canadian side of the falls and would love to return . I never realized how many beautiful vineyards there were in that part of Canada . The hospitality of the Canadian people was another plus . Maybe in the future we will find time to return
Old 04-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #61

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Value to me falls somewhere along a cost vs. perceived benefit curve. At some point there is a “knee” in the curve where the cost just goes up without adding any perceived benefit to ME. Perhaps wristwatches serve as an example. Rolexes are exorbitantly expensive without doing the job of telling time better than the Citizen watch I currently wear for a fraction of the cost. I paid more for a watch model to get a more accurate watch but once I had a level of comfort in the accuracy, there is no increase in value to ME to pay for the Rolex.

In the case of trailers, Escapes may be better in some ways but not in ways I’d be willing to spend extra money for. It won’t help me camp “better” and I’m not interested in any better resale than I have now.

And customization is a double edged sword. After someone has yanked out the bath and range and dyed the carpeting pink (the Mary Kay Limited Edition!) that trailer has lost all value to me!

Everyone lays out the benefit axis according to whatever floats their boat.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #62

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Nice trailer if you can tow it, and it helps make an oversized tow vehicle look proportionate.
Hummm lets see now......

Casita 17' Liberty _______ Escape 17'
length 17' _____________ 17' 8"
Height 8' 11"____________ 8' 1"
Dry Weight 2480lbs ______ 2100lbs
Dry Hitch Weight 365lbs _____ 250lbs

Which one Floyd do you think needs the "oversized" or bigger/more tow cap tug to pull it?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #63

Name: Linda
Trailer: Chinook
Washington
Having just sold our ParkLiner, we made some interesting observations as we showed it to perspective buyers. Since we also have an Escape 19ft., those who were interested could look at both and compare them for themselves. It all comes down to personal preferences! Some liked the look of the ParkLiner better (the fiberglass cabinets, the openness, etc.) and some liked the look of the Escape better (the lack of fiberglass cabinets, the floor plan/arrangement). After looking at both trailers, some of the folks decided they would purchase an Escape. Others looked at both and decided they preferred ParkLiner trailers.
The fit and finish on the Escape is far better than the ParkLiner! There is no doubt about that. No comparison there. But that is not a priority for everyone. The fit and finish on a Bigfoot trailer is also superior to most trailers, not to mention the space inside; we just felt we would need a pick-up in order to pull one (due to their width) so Escape works better for us. We would love it if our Escape had an all wood finish; can't argue with that point! Would we be willing to pay an additional $3,000 (as those who purchase a Deluxe Scamp do in order to get this look)? I don't think so. If that is a top priority for some, then a Scamp is the way to go. We have owned many different trailers over the years including stick-built, Bigfoot, Airstream, in addition to three Escape trailers and our ParkLiner. They all had their advantages (and disadvantages).

(We also found it interesting that our gas mileage was the same towing our 15ft. ParkLiner as it was towing our 19ft. Escape. We tow with a V8 4-Runner.)

Rather than argue about which molded fiberglass is "the best," all I can say is that based on my own personal preferences and my own personal experience (and my husband agrees!), Escape trailers are by far our first choice in a camping trailer. We are glad that there are lots of options out there and hope for success in all of the newer molded fiberglass trailer companies.

Happy trails!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #64

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
I worked for almost an equal to Escape but it was in the high-end 5th wheel. I heard the same exact reasons for making a purchase which was costing them a considerable amount of money more. This thread along with another entitled "Going to the Other Side" has made us rethink what we want and need. I think that a lot of people can't put themselves in the shoes of the other guy/gal. We started looking at the smaller trailers hoping to downsize our tow vehicle (a 1993 Ford Club Wagon, a beauty in metallic grey and smokey blue with about 140,000 miles, tow capacity 5500 lbs - built like a tank and paid for eons ago) but have realized that we need that much capacity to travel without worrying about climbing the next mountain. So, no new vehicle really needed. Yeah, gas mileage but we would only move 2 or 3 times a year at tops. I am very thrifty, not cheap but I get value for every dollar. Parting with that much cash for a trailer at this point doesn't make sense. I'm not interested in resale because that is a hard one to call not to mention the sales tax, personal property tax and the cost of insurance compared to what we have now. So, this has been helpful. So, we will probably look for used (spend the money on camping fees and tourist attractions later on), some eye-catching classic like the house we just bought, one of those 1929 Sears catalog houses and the beauty of wood and craftsmanship can't be described in words. Thank you for your insight.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #65

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
just looking

I recently stopped by Escape and made it clear I was just looking and still got treated royaly.
i got to look at several models and the thought that went into the design is amazing.
We could not really find any wasted space and the fit and finish is very good. They still spent their time with us answered all our questions and gave us sound advice.

We really like them now .... we just need to save up and decide if we get a new tug and the 19 or 5.0 or just get a 17.....
Old 04-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #66

British Columbia
Registry
Alan I think you have hit the nail on the head as to why people who have dealt with Escape feel good about recommending them to others. Customer service first and foremost and you dont need to have ever bought a trailer from them to get treated well.

A lot of people from around here take various makes & ages of fiberglass trailers to them for repairs and all the ones I know of that have used them have come away very happy customers. This past summer at a vintage rally down south I meet a nice young family with a really nicely done up older Trillium. They made it very clear that although they had done some of the work most of the work had been done by Escape & they had done far more than they had ever dreamed of or asked for and were VERY happy customers. There is a lot to be said for that. A company could never buy the kind of advertising they have gotten from just that one trailer & word of mouth that followed. We seem to be living in a day and age where we don't often come away from a place we have gone to for service feeling good about how it went.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #67

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Hummm lets see now......

Casita 17' Liberty _______ Escape 17'
length 17' _____________ 17' 8"
Height 8' 11"____________ 8' 1"
Dry Weight 2480lbs ______ 2100lbs
Dry Hitch Weight 365lbs _____ 250lbs

Which one Floyd do you think needs the "oversized" or bigger/more tow cap tug to pull it?
Yep! that's one of 'em!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #68

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Floyd,

I don't have a clue what your point is.

baglo
Old 04-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #69

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
And I remember when you used to argue that compact pick-ups could tow just as much as full-sized ones! What made you change your mind?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #70

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
And I remember when you used to argue that compact pick-ups could tow just as much as full-sized ones! What made you change your mind?
I've only been here a year or so, but I don't remember Floyd making that statement. Since it is all recorded here, perhaps you could provide a link to his statement.

Tags
escape