I Just Have To Ask, why Escape? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I Just Have To Ask, why Escape?

I hear "Escape, Escape, Escape" and I wondering why exactly that is. They are more expensive so I would expect more for sure, cost/value. What makes them worth the extra money? Is it the "fit and finish"? Compared to Casita and Scamp, they have not been out there to prove the test of time of 20+ years and still going. So, I just had to ask. Also, for those that are in the "wanting" phase of getting an Escape, have you seen one in person or compared them upclose to other egg campers? Thank you.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You should probably pose this question on the Escape Forum where there are many Escape owners who looked at Casita, Scamp, etc. before making their decision. I didn't compare ( other than to a Nash, built of sticks and staples, and weighing twice as much ).
There have been posts where owners discussed this very question.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quality product, FANTASTIC customer service. You speak directly with the owners. Reace works the line while the trailers are being built. They attend gatherings and listen to the "wants" of owners. The first words out of their mouth isn't NO. They not only build the trailers, they use them for camping with the family. And did I mention, it's a quality product?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Well, as an Escape owner I can give you my reasons. I looked at all three (Scamp, Casita & Escape) and talked with owners prior to purchasing & as you mentioned, the fit & finish was superior. All the owners of Escape trailers had nothing but praise for the company & trailer.

Another reason is the company's willingness to custom build the trailer. I asked if they could add a back up camera & cell phone amplifier & antenna - Reace's answer was to sent them to him & he would add them during the build. Owners have supplied their own fabrics, countertop & floor materials, in fact, they will even match the exterior graphics to your tow vehicle. If it can be done, they will do it. It is as close to a custom built trailer as possible.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
I hear "Escape, Escape, Escape" and I wondering why exactly that is. They are more expensive so I would expect more for sure, cost/value. What makes them worth the extra money? Is it the "fit and finish"? Compared to Casita and Scamp, they have not been out there to prove the test of time of 20+ years and still going. So, I just had to ask. Also, for those that are in the "wanting" phase of getting an Escape, have you seen one in person or compared them upclose to other egg campers? Thank you.
Well they may have not been around 20 plus years they have been building trailers for 12 years and as they have become the most popular new fiberglass trailer here on the West Coast I dont think they will be disappearing any time soon.

Yes I have seen them - at the factory and at many rallies here in BC, Washington and Oregon meets. They were last year the second most popular trailer (by numbers) attending the Brandon Oregon meet (Scamp held that spot for a long time) and the way the numbers have been climbing each year at that meet they may within a year or two take over first place from Casita. Funny enough while out in desert in southern Cal and AZ last winter I saw more Escapes than any other fiberglass trailers out camping and on the highway coming and going. About 5 to 1.

Its the more functional layout and finish that makes them outshine a Casita and Scamp and many other brands of trailers that I have seen IMHO. The only fiberglass that is currently still being made that I can honestly say that outshines them all in regards to finish is a Bigfoot - but they are a wider. heavier and even more pricey trailer. The other big thing is Escape will do a lot of custom work and additions to a trailer that Casita and Scamp would never do. In fact Scamp and Casita have had to play a little catch up in the past few years with their offerings of standard and optional equipment as a result.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The interior of an Escape makes Scamp's and Casita's interiors look rather plain in comparison. Escape looks more upscale.

I think there's a little bit of image, too, with the Escape. Sort like Cadillac vs Chevy.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
When you purchased you house, you made some alterations to make it your home, didn't you? Some paint, window treatments, perhaps remodeled the kitchen, to make it exactly the way you wanted it, correct?
Well with Escape you do the same, you have them build it exactly the way you want (some limitations) and you design the interior with your color choices, add or delete some outlets, add some windows and shelves, it is your home. Try doing that with an airstream which costs twice as much, or any other trailer manufacturer. Customization is what an Escape is, it is the way you want it.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
All I can say, is tour one! Then you will understand................

Frankly, I like all glass trailers, actually I like most travel trailers, rv's and anything that allows people to get out and explore camping. But some manufactures just know how to create the best quality for your money! Escape, is one of those!

I own a Casita, which I am happy with despite the captains chairs.......

But if I were to buy new "glass" it would be a Escape. And I have only seen one in person. That's all it took to see the layout 19fter and just the things they thought about that other manufactures haven't. And believe me, when it came to originally purchaseing new, I looked at many manufactures that were producing at the time. Loved Oliver! Still do actually. But both Oliver and Casita were months out on production. So I went with a year old Casita. Had I known about and seen a Escape 19, I would have waited for that to be built. Just saying......................
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Registry
never too late, robin, I have a feeling there will be a bunch of used 19's once the new 21' comes out later this year!!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
never too late, robin, I have a feeling there will be a bunch of used 19's once the new 21' comes out later this year!!

Oh, believe me Jim after the fall roundup last Sept it was about all I could do to keep myself from just ordering one. Loved the 19. Amazing what 2 ft can add as well as how Escape lays out the interior. They use the space very well. But soon life slapped me back to reality and I didn't place an order. Perhaps someday...........
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #11

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I have noticed that lots of folks who have gone to Escape from other (16 & 17 ft) fiberglass trailers have often gone to the 19 which of course Scamp and Casita don't make and I am sure will soon be going to the 21. Bigger is better philosophy!
As hard as I try to like it I still do not like the non fiberglass cabinets/ countertops in the Escape. If they had those I think they would be perfect.
I think because I see lots of old Bigfoots in Canada with the wood cabinets and they just look so dated and veneer is coming off etc.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #12

Americanboler says "Hang on to your hats" if you can wait that long.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
The interior of an Escape makes Scamp's and Casita's interiors look rather plain in comparison. Escape looks more upscale.

I think there's a little bit of image, too, with the Escape. Sort like Cadillac vs Chevy.
I disagree...The Escape interior pales in comparison to the Scamp Custom Deluxe interior.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #14

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Before buying my Bigfoot the only other trailer that had my interest was Escape.
Value for my dollar was the reason I went with the Bigfoot in the used market.

I was able to buy a hardly used 20 year old Bigfoot that people think is no more than 4-5 years old.
I've not had to do anything other than polish the trailer.

Fit & finish are more important than some realize.
Scamp & Casita do offer good value for the money in my opinion and I've looked at many used units.
That extra foot of room inside a Bigfoot is hard to pass on.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Escape Trailers are great

We have owned many trailers over the years including numerous stick-built, Bigfoot, Airstream, ParkLiner, and Escapes (three of them), and we have had many friends with other trailers including Scamps and Casitas. There is no question that our preference is Escape trailers. They are high quality molded fiberglass trailers, the owners are wonderful and work with each customer to create a trailer suited to their specific needs, the customer service is better than any company we have ever dealt with, and Escape trailers keep getting better because the owners listen to the customers and cater their product to the needs of the people. We have had three Escapes because they keep getting better. The owners listen, they have integrity, and they care about their customers. If you have a problem, they make it right. The way they run their business is different than most. There is no comparison as far as we are concerned.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #16

Pennsylvania
Registry
I agree with what Floyd says "I disagree...The Escape interior pales in comparison to the Scamp Custom Deluxe interior." and I think Escape will have to change or offer the solid wood interior as an option. I can not imagine that the cost would be be that much more but the results are worth it. This will prevent that 30 year old paneling look that is prevalent in some older models. An upgrade with the solid wood would mean sanding and applying another stain
by the new owner, something that is done in older homes now with wood floors and trim. I just finished this yesterday and love how it turned out.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0504.JPG   DSCN0505.JPG  

DSCN0506.JPG  
Old 04-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I agree with what Floyd says "I disagree...The Escape interior pales in comparison to the Scamp Custom Deluxe interior." and I think Escape will have to change or offer the solid wood interior as an option. I can not imagine that the cost would be be that much more but the results are worth it. This will prevent that 30 year old paneling look that is prevalent in some older models. An upgrade with the solid wood would mean sanding and applying another stain
by the new owner, something that is done in older homes now with wood floors and trim. I just finished this yesterday and love how it turned out.
Hi: cpaharley2008... We just painted over our "30 yr. old paneling look" in the family room. What a diff. a few cans of paint can make!!!
Reace at Escape is very consious of additional weight to his trailers when mfg'd.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #18

Pennsylvania
Registry
True, Alf the weight is a consideration and something I have no idea about the difference. But as you pointed out, painting or restaining old wood gives it a new look. Have a safe trip down south next week.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #19
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Cathy. In 2009 we decided it was time to replace our Chalet A frame. We talked with a Scamp owner and later a Casita owner and came to the conclusion molded fiberglass was the way to go. We found this forum and like you, we found Escape seemed to be the best. With folks echoing "you can get anything you want" we ordered a 15ft. model. The first wrinkle was the refrigerator. We wanted one that didn't require power when using propane. We settle on a smaller Dometic as the Norcold we requested couldn't be used due to certification issues. We asked for jalousie windows. They couldn't get them in the right size. No opening front window. No opening rear window. A slider on one side and the emergency egress on the other. We cancelled the order. After a look at Scamp, we ordered a Trillium. Despite the smaller bed (there was no 15 ft at the time) the jalousie windows on all four sides made it the perfect trailer for our needs. And now that I have experienced both, I prefer the fiberglass furniture over the wood. The trade off with the Trillium was very poor build quality and zero customer support.

Every trailer is a compromise. What's best for some is not necessarily best for you. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #20

P. Raz: Funny, we were looking seriously at the Chalet A frame. On the Trillium, is that one being built in Florence, AZ right now as we were looking online at their units. We also liked the Norcold frig over the Dometic and we have had a few. I actually scan my RV Buyer's Guide to see who puts in the Norcold units.

Thank you everyone else for your responses. I do agree that the Scamp Deluxe is awesome looking with the wood cabinets but I do also love the fiberglass molded because of the clean and classic look. I like all the units actually and each for different reasons.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape