I'm hearing this second hand - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I spoke today with a couple who are having a 'custom' trailer made out at Escape Trailers.
'She' tells me that Reaces compound is overflowing and they have a backlog of trailers on line. She also indicated that there might be a need for a 'second shift' [at] Escape to get the backlog out of the way.
GREAT news that things are going sooo well for Reace n Tammy. I hope the back log isn't gunna cause problems for the dynamic duo!!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
That is good news. Looking at the production schedule, folks are needing to wait quite a while. But with all the additions and customizations folks want, it's understandable. I doubt there is ever two trailers that go out the door exactly the same.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Everything I get seems to be "Second hand". Reace& Tammy set their schedule up as per last year but have indicated that they may be able to bring forward some completion dates. Thats great news except for those who have to plan a very long trip to Escape!!! I'm sure there's always someone who needs a reshuffle. According to Tammy on their online show, they are poised to build 100-120 trailers in 2010. If everyone that buys one sells another one their business grows. I know of three from people looking at "Our Escape Hatch".
Their trailers are certainly spreading far and wide!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
anyone know, in general, what how many scamp or casita produce in a year? I was always curious but have never come across any guesses on the forum.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Ken C... Since those two Mfg. Co's near flatly refuse almost all custom mod's and with their age old methods of Mfg. they can knock them out pretty fast and do stock pile unsold trailers. Escape builds from sold orders only and completes each trailer in aprox 3 weeks from fiberglass cloth to out the door finished. Their build methods are top notch and take longer to do but the quality speaks volumes. They don't try to fit flat windows on a curved shell... the mold is flatened out in that area adding strength to the wall and allowing a better seal and less likelyhood of leaks. Thats only one reason why I own one!!!
Attached Thumbnails
pardon_my_behind.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It's nice to see escape thrive in this economic downturn. In contrast to this thread here is a update from Oliver trailers. I could not get the link on their main page to work and got this from their discussion forum below.

"Based on general economic conditions, and specifically the substantial decrease in product demand throughout the RV Industry, Oliver Travel Trailers has decided to further postpone the manufacturing of its trailer products. Going forward, we will monitor market conditions for improvement and will return to production when we determine that demand is sufficient to warrant that move.

In the meantime, our Company will continue its research and development of additional travel trailer models and designs to be prepared for the onset of better market conditions.

As you would expect, we will continue to provide warranty service to our existing customers and are available to answer any questions they might have.

We appreciate your interest and support. As always, we look forward to working with you."

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #7

Ken, that's really too bad. The Oliver is a nice trailer that found a niche market. Those that have purchased them, really like 'em. Competition is good for all trailer brands because it improves them all. I think we're all hoping the economy improves and soon. Not just for the fiberglass crowd but all areas of manufacturing.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
So anybody got any ideas as to why Escape continues to grow and thrive while Oliver, Big Foot, Burro etc struggle or fail? I guess Casita and Scamp are still doing well too so these companies must be doing something different/better than the others who didn't make it. Any word on how the two Trillium Manufacturers are surviving?
Old 12-17-2009, 05:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Quote:
So anybody got any ideas as to why Escape continues to grow and thrive while Oliver, Big Foot, Burro etc struggle or fail? I guess Casita and Scamp are still doing well too so these companies must be doing something different/better than the others who didn't make it. Any word on how the two Trilliuma Manufacturers are surviving?
Melissa I was going to post this in general chat later , probably will anyway, but will do a short version here. When my wife and I visited my Mom in Oakdale California just after Thanksgiving we took a little time to visit the Trillium facility in Concord California and had a very pleasant visit with Tom the owner. He hasn't made the move to Carson City Nevada yet and is unsure if and when that will happen. He has a smallish plant but is building a very high quality trailer in small (for now) numbers. We were very impressed with the quality of the trailers and since he is producing now in limited quantities the attention to detail is very impressive. After visiting with Tom I am sure that level of attention to detail will continue even as volume increases. Presently the only trailer in production is the 13 but there is a 15 in the wings to be produced at a later date. The quality appears to be equal to the Escape and Norma and I were sufficiently impressed to the point that when we get our finances together we will be purchasing a Trillum from Tom. I will post a more detailed item here sometime soon, right now I have a couple of other irons in the fire. I have no knowledge of the situation with the Canadian Trillium Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
I think the smaller trailers and more durable trailers will continue to do better than the big stick built expando mansions. The economic troubles have people looking at smaller units with better value and durability. That puts fiberglass at the top of the list. Escape appears to have addressed many of the dislikes present in other fiberglass trailers.

I think it will be just a couple years before I can afford an Escape. I am paying off my last loan at an accelerated rate and then can put money on an Escape. I want a 19 footer in the worst way. I'm in a bit of a quandary about selling my Trillium with the extended tongue before getting or ordering the Escape.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
IMHO, Escape traillers IS a Mom n Pop operation (with the youngsters helpin out in their own way WHEN they can).
MAYBE this helps to strengthen their quality control level??
Reace n Tammy have a small hand picked crew.
Now, having said that, .....I know NOTHING about building processes at the other listed companys.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:13 AM   #12

Quote:
So anybody got any ideas as to why Escape continues to grow and thrive while Oliver, Big Foot, Burro etc struggle or fail?
A good business model is paramount. Escape is going beyond the necessary bounds of manufacturing. Reace and Tammy are not only the business owners, but they are part of the molded trailer culture. They attend fiberglass gatherings and stay in touch with owners and wannabees. They are approachable via phone or e-mail... you don't just get an employee when you call with questions. Reace has asked the owner of the Escape Forum to create a topic called Escape News where he can place bulletins to keep owner's informed of any new issues or concerns that come up with the Escape.

As in most manufacturing processes, we are constantly trying to improve the product and as time goes by, we see that not all of our ideas worked out as planned. I will be posting information here to help prevent any issues that I become aware of.

We DO NOT see this level of assistance/help or concern with the other manufacturers. As far as I know, no one from Scamp or Casita join in any of the discussions on any of the forums. Maybe they lurk? But.. for instance, when a major problem was discovered by owners of Scamp 5th wheel with the axle mounting, Scamp did NOT make any public comments to assist owners.

Is this part of the reason why Escape is finding growth? I don't know. But, if I was going to buy a trailer, I'd certainly be more inclined to purchase one from a manufacturer who is in touch with the consumer rather than one who takes my money and fades from sight.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #13

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
So anybody got any ideas as to why Escape continues to grow and thrive while Oliver, Big Foot, Burro etc struggle or fail? I guess Casita and Scamp are still doing well too so these companies must be doing something different/better than the others who didn't make it. Any word on how the two Trillium Manufacturers are surviving?
Hey melissab, it may be the presold factor, if that is how Escape does business. From anecdotal information BigFoot failed in part because of huge unsold inventory (on fossil fuel class C's) and loans that were called in.
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #14

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
anyone know, in general, what how many scamp or casita produce in a year? I was always curious but have never come across any guesses on the forum.
Speaking to Rease first hand, we discussing how many they had made since they started production....300 or something like that, I thought that was a lot, he told me that Casita cranks out something like 3000 a year.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
Quote:
Speaking to Rease first hand, we discussing how many they had made since they started production....300 or something like that, I thought that was a lot, he told me that Casita cranks out something like 3000 a year.
Wow! That's about 12 a day output.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
Here are the unofficial numbers I have heard....

Scamp produces approx 350-450 units per year
Casita produces approx 500-600 units per year

I could not imagine those kind of numbers coming out of our facility....nor do I think I want to. I am trying to hang on to what little hair I have left

Having said that, it stands to reason why they can't make modifications to their units as it definitely cuts into the efficiency.

Merry Christmas

Reace
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I am trying to hang on to what little hair I have left
I find hair is over-rated... Just let it follow it's natural migration south as you get older...
Attached Thumbnails
Me_too.jpg  
Old 12-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #18

Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 Series (25C9.6E 'Yeti')
Send a message via Yahoo to Pat And Arleen
When we ordered two of our Scamps (Deluxe) we ordered them the way we wanted them, And yes we ordered them with custom mods. We added, removed, replaced, tookout, moved walls, and ordered the trailer we wanted not the one they had. You just have to know what you want before you place the order. You can get a "Custom ordered trailer from Scamp".
Quote:
Hi: Ken C... Since those two Mfg. Co's near flatly refuse almost all custom mod's and with their age old methods of Mfg. they can knock them out pretty fast and do stock pile unsold trailers. Escape builds from sold orders only and completes each trailer in aprox 3 weeks from fiberglass cloth to out the door finished. Their build methods are top notch and take longer to do but the quality speaks volumes. They don't try to fit flat windows on a curved shell... the mold is flatened out in that area adding strength to the wall and allowing a better seal and less likelyhood of leaks. Thats only one reason why I own one!!!
Pat And Arleen is offline   Reply With Quote