I'm not a Doctor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-07-2006, 07:34 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Okay, I am not an Official Spokesmodel for this product, nor have I been paid to "blog" it.

I was reading RV Times, saw an ad for a Cobb BBQ. I went to the website and got so excited I did not shut up about it for, like, three days. It's a portable BBQ, but what I was keen on was using as an occasional oven, since our Boler doesn't have one. It has a lid and roasting rack, uses 10 briquettes, for example, for a 4-pound roast.

You know, when it's cold or you're feeling lazy, a nice cozy roast chicken or a bring-home pizza would be nice. But our Boler was ovenless, and our hibachi or the provided fire pits are not good for the kid's request for chicken nuggets. This unit could sit on the picnic table under the awning in the chilly rain while I am inside reading important documents like "People" magazine on drizzly Sundays.

So, rough week at work (it's either too many jobs to do or not enough), home Friday aft, I see a notice from a courier that a parcel has arrived. Hubby is always ordering weird parts for scuba diving or whatever, so I thought nothing of it. He came home with my Cobb!

Yay! My '78 17' Boler now has an oven!

Hurray for me!

www.cobbcanada.ca
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
We've had a Cobb that I bought off ebay for about a year but have only used it a couple of times. I like the general idea but I hate waiting for the thing to get hot enough. All the things you can do with it are great but you need all the accessories and they don't come cheap.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Interesting, Charlynn. (I was going to say "cool!" but in light of Bill's post, I guess that's a poor choice of exclamation.) Let us know how it does for you.

I have a "Nestor" (brand) oven that's really more like a square, "fast cooker" crock pot that I like to use if we're camping with electricity. It's good for a small roast or chicken, and is great for beans and such. But I like the looks of the Cobb, because we don't always camp with electric.

Is the Cobb really big enough for a pizza? (My Nestor is not.)

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:01 AM   #4

Mary, you could get a 10" pizza in there but with the hole in the grill I'm not sure there wouldn't be burnt sections on the outer edge. The meals they show you are in the catalog are great but it takes a lot of experimenting and I'm just not that organized. I hope at sometime or other someone at one of the rallies will have demonstrations on cooking with it like the dutch oven demo at the Oregon gathering
Old 04-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...our Boler was ovenless...Yay! My '78 17' Boler now has an oven!
Was this B1700 always ovenless, or did the original one just not make the whole quarter-century? It seems like almost all of the 17" Bolers had ovens - ours does.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:03 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I hope at sometime or other someone at one of the rallies will have demonstrations on cooking with it like the dutch oven demo at the Oregon gathering
We will actually be doing a Cobb demo at the Fort Langley Glass Egg Meet, Saturday May 20 Don't worry, I won't use this great forum to plug my product any further!
Johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:43 AM   #7

Johan, you know that would be a good idea for us here in Florida, as you probably know the main distributer for Cobb is here and with the rallies we have and with 70 or 80 onlookers they may just come out there and put on a demonstation
Old 05-12-2006, 04:13 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Johan, you know that would be a good idea for us here in Florida, as you probably know the main distributer for Cobb is here and with the rallies we have and with 70 or 80 onlookers they may just come out there and put on a demonstation

Florida would be a great place to do a Cobb demo, but my territory is Canada only. It may be a good idea for you to drop a line to your US distributor, asking if they would come out and do a demo.
When I do this I would of course be happy to sell some Cobb's - that is after all how I make my living. However my motive is just as much to get a chance to meet some owners of fiberglass trailers and see their units. About a month ago, Charlynn ordered a Cobb from us - she told me she wanted it for her vintage Boler. I have to honestly admit I had no clue what a Boler is. Out of curiousity I did a search on the internet. I am not sure if that was a wise thing to do, because now I am bit by the bug too, checking out every fiberglass trailer I come across!
Johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:50 PM   #9
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Out of curiousity I did a search on the internet. I am not sure if that was a wise thing to do, because now I am bit by the bug too, checking out every fiberglass trailer I come across!
Now you did it. There's no hope. Once these get under your skin, they just won't let go. It's hopeless.

Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #10

Johan, I dropped them an email this a.m. right after I wrote my last post to you, don't know when or if I'll hear back
Old 05-15-2006, 10:06 PM   #11

Greetings Sportsfans,

Well, we tried the Cobb at home with a way-too-big-chicken that hubby bought. Lid wouldn't cover it! Funny! Even using the Handy mans' s secret weapon, we needed to finish it inside, in the oven. That was one HUGE bird!

Then, getting ready for first camp-out, we realized we needn't bring along a Hibachi (cheap even in cast iron, throw away after a season) as we had our Cobb. We knew we could cook WHATEVER even in the rain.

As it turned out, we had a perfectly lovely first camp-out this last weekend, no rain, and no boom-boxes/four wheelers. Lovely to hear the birds sing at our favourite boon-dock.

1. I am writing an article re boon-docking, anyone care to comment?
2. How do YOU cook in the rain or cold?

Thanks,

CT
Old 05-16-2006, 12:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
charlynn, are you selling a trailer on another forum? if so, you might want to know it is priced at $800,000!!! yes, eight hundred thousand dollars! i only read it to see if it could be true and found the correct price in the body of the ad. i recognized your name and though this isn't the appropriate place to do it , i'm letting you know.

the cobb looks good but i still have to replace my basic cooktop and am afraid to do it.
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:27 PM   #13

[quote]
charlynn, are you selling a trailer on another forum? if so, you might want to know it is priced at $800,000!!! yes, eight hundred thousand dollars! i only read it to see if it could be true and found the correct price in the body of the ad. i recognized your name and though this isn't the appropriate place to do it , i'm letting you know.

Whoa! No, I am not. I only met one other Charlynn in my life: in northern Manitoba. Where is the site listing the trailer for 800 big ones?

This is how I imagine it would be:

Travel trailer for sale, $800,000.
Gold-plated Boler, many mods including 14 slide-outs, convection oven, microwave, sauna, jacuzzi, conceirge, scullery maid, dog trainer, dog groomer, huge flat-screen TV, three satelite dishes, master bath with titanium fixtures, two tow vehicles and a house with large yard. Cobb included.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:34 PM   #14

gold plated huh? my tow vehicle can't handle that kind of weight!!!! you forgot to mention the second floor balcony with spiral staircase.

i think it was on a boler website. and i may have read the name wrong.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:07 PM   #15

omigosh!!! i did read it wrong. karalyn just posted the fact that she sold a scamp you do have a similar name, but i'll go to my room now.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:33 PM   #16

Quote:
omigosh!!! i did read it wrong. karalyn just posted the fact that she sold a scamp you do have a similar name, but i'll go to my room now.

Okay, shh! Meet ya there, I'll bring the jumbo screw-cap.....