I smell a scam and want others to know - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-28-2017, 02:08 AM   #15

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Utah
Thanks for the response everyone! Seems that the general consensus is that I need to walk around the block more.

Patdeesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:42 AM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Quebec
Registry
When you put a snowmobile up for sale and suddenly some guy from Senegal is VERY interested, you can smell a scam!!

Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I had a really hard time convincing daughter in law that any online ad for an airstream in the condition shown in the ads pictures was a scam. Around $2,300 for a clean inside and out, AC and everything else functional with new fridge, plumbing and axle 19 ft. Airstream.

I looked up airstreams on CL and showed her "going price" and she was still saying well the ad says he has a financial hardship... I pointed out that he could probably drive to pretty much any RV dealer and walk out with more than that amount in cash from a dealer.

I don't understand it, other than I guess people convince themselves to get scammed as much as scammers convince the mark to go along. Advertisement reaches thousands then even 1% is a highly profitable criminal enterprise, with low risk.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #18

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
[QUOTE=RogerDat;658837
I don't understand it, other than I guess people convince themselves to get scammed as much as scammers convince the mark to go along. Advertisement reaches thousands then even 1% is a highly profitable criminal enterprise, with low risk.[/QUOTE]

People really WANT it to be true is the trouble. I was that way with a truck years ago, wanting/wishing the dream was true. Since then I don't even give those ads a chance. Seems to good to be true.............
ďMost folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.Ē ó Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:19 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I had a really hard time convincing daughter in law that any online ad for an airstream in the condition shown in the ads pictures was a scam. Around $2,300 for a clean inside and out, AC and everything else functional with new fridge, plumbing and axle 19 ft. Airstream.
I looked up airstreams on CL and showed her "going price" and she was still saying well the ad says he has a financial hardship... I pointed out that he could probably drive to pretty much any RV dealer and walk out with more than that amount in cash from a dealer.
Roger, we try to teach our kids about life from our own.....mishaps. Sometimes I've felt I was beating my head against the wall and you just have to let them learn the hard way if they don't listen. Then never say anything, just give them the "I told you so look". Learned that from my Dad and it only took once. Wish I could remember now what it was and how much that lesson cost me but dog gone, I learned it well, thanks Dad .
Borrego Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #20

Name: Ginny
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13 ft.
Massachusetts
Registry
Iím confused as to how the scammers actually get the money. Do they get the money out of eBay before the delivery? (Or non-delivery, obviously) I thought that was why people used eBay - the money didnít move until both parties agreed. By the way, bought my 13í Scamp through CL but it was in person and straight cash.
GingerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #21

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Old thread and my reply is a little off-topic but, as a teenager I got took for $10 in a three-card-monte scam. It was the best $10 I ever invested.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerB View Post
Iím confused as to how the scammers actually get the money. Do they get the money out of eBay before the delivery? (Or non-delivery, obviously) I thought that was why people used eBay - the money didnít move until both parties agreed. By the way, bought my 13í Scamp through CL but it was in person and straight cash.

Cash proceeds on ebay don't come from ebay. Ebay is just a facilitator. The cash comes from PayPal.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #23

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 90 Scamp 16 layout 4 & 92 Vanagon
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerB View Post
Sometimes it is not about the money, but about personal information that they can sell.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:23 PM   #24

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
E-Bay

Scammers don't use E Bay, usually Craigslist or local ads. It can be too complicated to explain, or even understand. Sometimes they just want a down payment to 'hold' you new purchase. Then they disappear. Other times they say they are in the ARMY, send a cashier's check, the 'unit' will be delivered free ! They use the word 'unit' or 'item' because they are sending out thousands of e-mail form letters and don't even take the time to distinguish which are cars, motorcycles , or trailers. Every time I have a car, trailer, motorcycle or even a car or mc part, I get letters saying , " I want your ' item', I can send a check immediately, text the addresss you want the money sent to. "
Don't buy anything where you don't TALK to the owner, get a feel for his / her personality and background and facts on their ownership. If they say they will fax the address and info, it is a scam. I try to see and touch the trailer, hold the registration in my hand before buying. But at least talk to the owner, see how long he has owned it, have a friend or professional at least check the 'item' and papers it if is located far away. And be careful it the guy says be bought it a 'few weeks ago ' , there is probably a reason for quick turnover. David in Fresno and Sonora

DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote