I sure hope this isn't a sign about my hopes for all electric....this chick is sad - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Careful you don't get electrocuted.
Knowledge combats fear.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:56 PM   #22

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Speaking of electrocution, I am astounded by the campers with 120vac outlets mounted on the back splash level with the counter, on the front of the kitchen counter, or incredibly, built-in flat on the counter with no indication they are at least of the GFCI type to reduce shocks.

It would take only one spill to ruin your day, but on the bright side, you would not be the one to have to clean it up, your heirs would.
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #23
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LDY View Post
lol and the reverse is true in MI, air not as much as heat lol, and hence my issues with all my friends saying I need propane, I was a sucker and caved, then was almost to afraid to use it....let just say even starting the grill outside freaks me out

Our parents used to tell stories of gas explosions. Perhaps that's why we always had an electric stove. But after using the gas cook top in our first trailer we switched over to a gas cook top here at home. Better control and when the power is out, we can still cook. Now you couldnt give us an electric stove. Not a sales pitch. We all have different comfort levels. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:26 PM   #24

Or,
'familiarity combats fear'.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:53 PM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...I am looking at the escape as Bob has steered me toward and I do like it. I'd love to see the gaucho bunk as I'm having a hard time seeing those examples...
Enjoy! Here's the only one I've seen on the market in the last couple of years:
2012 17' Escape Travel trailer Plan B | Sooke, BC, Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Name:   Dinette.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  8.2 KB

Name:   Bunk.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  8.6 KB
It was gone 24 hours after the ad appeared!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #26

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Enjoy! Here's the only one I've seen on the market in the last couple of years:
2012 17' Escape Travel trailer Plan B | Sooke, BC, Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Attachment 91740Attachment 91741
It was gone 24 hours after the ad appeared!
Thanks soooo much that is exactly what I wanted to see now to find out the weight limits on all of these, my sticky only holds 75# on the one small bunk so both kids are already to much for that one....since the 2016 year is already sold out, I guess I have plenty of time to research
4x4LDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #27

If you are thinking Escape, you should check their web-site a couple times a day for surprise build openings. There were two just recently that nobody expected and they were gone within hours.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:40 PM   #28

Michigan
Maybe people backed out?? That's good to know, thanks for the heads up. I did the conversion today and I really would have more bang for my buck, crossing fingers all electric I sent email but I'm sure they are busy building how long does it take usually from order to build? I will prob have delivered too, unless the hubby want to take a road trip
Old 01-14-2016, 11:27 PM   #29

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Interesting comments of peoples fears of gas & electric and the possible sources of them. You certainly hear of many more fires from electrical issues than that of a gas. A good working CO unit and the odor added to gasses pretty much let you know somethings wrong. I can't see behind walls for any wiring. Just saying and YMMV. I use and respect both.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:59 AM   #30

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
Speaking of electrocution, I am astounded by the campers with 120vac outlets mounted on the back splash level with the counter, on the front of the kitchen counter, or incredibly, built-in flat on the counter with no indication they are at least of the GFCI type to reduce shocks.

It would take only one spill to ruin your day, but on the bright side, you would not be the one to have to clean it up, your heirs would.

Just curious if you have statistical data to back up this statement which indicates introduction of liquid into an exposed outlet guarantees death will surely be imminent. While electricity should be handled with respect as should fire, propane, gasoline, power tools, etc. (the list is long), I find the suggestion that the quoted outlet placement is suicidal to be overly dramatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-15-2016, 07:17 AM   #31

Michigan
I am not so fearful that I can't deal with gas, the point is I don't want to deal with propane. I don't want the hassle of having to take care of them or hooking them up or getting them filled etc. I can't be the only one out there or they wouldn't make them this way at all, and people wouldn't be paying $20K+ for them. I went camping with friends this last fall and he turned on his oven....apparently it didn't light right away and he found out based on the smell his co2 detector didn't work either, when 4 of us in the area were checking our rigs cuz the smell was horrible.....and then he kept messing with his hoses out front after he had to replace after so much leaked and then you still could smell a little....just something about all those open campfires that put me on edge that day being the rig right next door.

Me on the other hand have had what I find to be a faulty smoke detector and bought a new one after mine keeps going off due to people telling me it can be humidity levels.....interesting. People told me that can happen but none the less it's very scary at 5am or so with 2 kids that sleep so sound they slept through it!! and I had to force them up. It's times like that I feel like going back to a tent as it would be so much easier....but not.....

To me the bathroom and running water is a perk, but all I really want is a dry place to lay our heads and we have sleeping bags to keep us warm.....so the bells and whistles are nice, but not necessary.

The thread always gets to the point people are wondering why no gas , it's just a preference, the same reason some people like electric stoves and some like gas ranges. I have both at home, wall oven is electric and range is gas....but do I worry about my kids and gas stove, yep I sure do. I remember being a kid and turning on the stove and click click click boom! the flames were like 6-8" long when it lit....as a kid my arms were a lot shorter and I wasn't back as far as I am now.....but needless to say it left a huge impression on me and nearly burned my face. Maybe my comfort levels are based on that, I'm not sure, but lets not go back and forth about why people like one thing over another, or finding evidence about more people being electricuted etc, and that is why I wouldn't by an old camper to redo, I do not feel comfortable doing wiring at all nor would I try.

I love the passion people have for their rigs and that is why I love this group. Ultimately fate will lead me to a rig I love and my kids will prob. hate , cuz they want a sticky like their friends that are big with 3 pop outs and a gallery that they can have a party in with their friends (25+ foot 5th wheel craziness!)......well that's not how I roll and never will be, but they are welcome to have sleep overs at their friends trailer if they want while I chill around the campfire. Someday my kids won't want to go with me and it'll be me and maybe the hubby (crossing my fingers he changes his tune some day). My hubbby would rather fly to a far off destination, stay in a hotel and have no worries......so I have to work on him

Have a great day everyone and I'll be searching the group for more examples and rigs that I have not previously considered. Thanks again
Old 01-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
"To me the bathroom and running water is a perk, but all I really want is a dry place to lay our heads and we have sleeping bags to keep us warm.....so the bells and whistles are nice, but not necessary. "

Sounds like a good tent would fit your needs and criteria perfectly.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #33

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I sure hope this isn't a sign about my hopes for all electric....this chick i...

Steve, I have never used the stove or inside plumbing on my Scamp 13. I've never plugged the power cord in except to test it when I bought it. By your reckoning a tent would do just as well.

But the whole point for me is it's not a tent. Been there, done that, and I like having a place to sleep at night off the ground, and a dry, cozy retreat in the rain.

I do like all the perks, even though I don't use them now. They're there if my travel style and needs change.

We have used the furnace a couple of times, and the 12V system all the time.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:10 PM   #34

Michigan
I did get an email back from Escape giving me options for an all electric unit from them. I now need to check in on the coat of that one and the possible purchase of a used egg camper to see which would suit is better, price and options, scamp could do all electric but I think that one would cost me the most and with my allergies I'm not sure I want all the carpeting although they do seem to retain value just as well. Come to find out I'm not the first to request electric from Eacape I'm n
4x4LDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #35

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Donna D might remember who it was,but a few years back there was a member here( I think a lady) that rebuilt a camper.That person rebuilt it total electric. Again if I remember right,their reason was to make it better suited for their needs,make it lighter weight and because she traveled alone and never camped "off grid" always in RV parks or state parks. Seems like they also built one side to look like an office because of always had to have their computer.

My point is make your camper "Fit Your needs" and your lifestyle, we all camp,or RV whichever you want to call it, for different reasons.....The main one being we want to get away from stress and just be able to relax. Our camper has all the "bells and whistles" never used the heater,gas stove or oven, do use the hot water heater ( it is duel gas/electric) get the water hot on both then turn the gas off and just use it on electric,I'm from Texas Gulf Coast so have to have AC to sleep at night. We spend all our time outside during the day all cooking is done outside,wash dishes inside and DH uses the shower. Use electric space type heater for heat in cold weather. We like to have all the "bells & whistles"( gas and electric) because DH is a what if type person,because we have both we are never without some type of power at home or out camping. Important because we live in a storm area and have had to live in the camper after some of said storms

Build or buy your camper to fit yourself anyway you make it is right for you !

Happy Camping,Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:59 PM   #36

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
I did get an email back from Escape giving me options for an all electric unit from them. I now need to check in on the coat of that one and the possible purchase of a used egg camper to see which would suit is better, price and options, scamp could do all electric but I think that one would cost me the most and with my allergies I'm not sure I want all the carpeting although they do seem to retain value just as well. Come to find out I'm not the first to request electric from Eacape I'm n
I understand your reasons for no propane. A stove is a very basic feature though and it would be difficult to sell without it. The same is true of the furnace. An Escape comes with propane bottles empty. You could simply leave them empty. They only fill them if you order that and pay for it. Ovens are often not ordered so no such oven-not-lit problem.

We did not use propane for a long time and there is no need. You can use a little electric space heater or have an electric heater installed which I guess Escape has said that they will do.

So you can have those items there that are critical to re-sale --- and you are highly likely to want to sell some time. I always tell people that making additions is one thing but deleting standard features is another. Those standard features are there because practically everyone wants them. Escapes are high end and often loaded with additional options, so not even having the standard ones would keep away most buyers. As it is now, used Escapes are highly sought but not without standard features plus insulation, thermal windows and even A/C expected. If you choose to do all electric, just keep in mind that you may not be able to sell right away.

Escape does have the advantage of often doing what someone wants but the person may not have re-sale in mind, and we know how many Escape owners have moved to another Escape.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #37

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
For about 10 grand (last I heard) you could buy a Lil Hauley (empty Snoozy shell) and it would meet your needs. If you wanted to add a cabinet to house a fresh water tank, 12v pump and sink with faucet, it would even have running water.

I will probably be doing just that this summer... camping with my Hauley. (Unless I find a fabulous deal on another FG by then.) I can strap my bike to the wall, sleep on a cot, use the front shelf for a countertop, and have oodles of space for camping and rec stuff (like the inflatable kayak and Clam screen room).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:38 AM   #38

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
Donna D might remember who it was,but a few years back there was a member here( I think a lady) that rebuilt a camper.That person rebuilt it total electric. Again if I remember right,their reason was to make it better suited for their needs,make it lighter weight and because she traveled alone and never camped "off grid" always in RV parks or state parks. Seems like they also built one side to look like an office because of always had to have their computer.

My point is make your camper "Fit Your needs" and your lifestyle, we all camp,or RV whichever you want to call it, for different reasons.....The main one being we want to get away from stress and just be able to relax. Our camper has all the "bells and whistles" never used the heater,gas stove or oven, do use the hot water heater ( it is duel gas/electric) get the water hot on both then turn the gas off and just use it on electric,I'm from Texas Gulf Coast so have to have AC to sleep at night. We spend all our time outside during the day all cooking is done outside,wash dishes inside and DH uses the shower. Use electric space type heater for heat in cold weather. We like to have all the "bells & whistles"( gas and electric) because DH is a what if type person,because we have both we are never without some type of power at home or out camping. Important because we live in a storm area and have had to live in the camper after some of said storms

Build or buy your camper to fit yourself anyway you make it is right for you !

Happy Camping,Lynn

Thanks Lynn and that is what I plan to do.

I have friends that want me to have it to go with them where they go, but if I do I have a little generator for a weekend here and there, but until life slows down, the most camping I'll be doing is local at campgrounds with power since they will just be short weekends. She is a stay at home mom and in the summer goes all over, I work full time and have kids very active in sports, so my time is much more limited than hers, so sometimes as much as I would love to drive hours away, it just isn't using my time wisely and I don't want to do more than simply plug in when I get there It's all about simplicity.......and then relaxing.

I am still leaning toward egg camper...I just love the blank canvas, being a scrapbooking I see "filling the pages" as a challenge. I have a machine that cuts vinyl and I have been thinking of all the things I can put on the walls and the knobs for the doors etc We'll see and I know I'll share.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:12 AM   #39

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
For about 10 grand (last I heard) you could buy a Lil Hauley (empty Snoozy shell) and it would meet your needs. If you wanted to add a cabinet to house a fresh water tank, 12v pump and sink with faucet, it would even have running water.

I will probably be doing just that this summer... camping with my Hauley. (Unless I find a fabulous deal on another FG by then.) I can strap my bike to the wall, sleep on a cot, use the front shelf for a countertop, and have oodles of space for camping and rec stuff (like the inflatable kayak and Clam screen room).
LOL, yeah that sounds like more work down the road if I wanted to add stuff and I'm not that handy Again for that price I'll keep my sticky built trailer since I already own it (no payments owed), and this spring the plan was to add the electric heating element for hot water which is the only thing I'd need to run it all electric. I can then and just turn off the propane, but keep on board for the resale value as you all have discussed. If it was just me, I'd be all over an empty shell, but with the kiddos, we'd have to have a king size air mattress or enough room for 3 cots and all the stuff that comes along with my kiddos (scooters, pool stuff etc)!
Old 01-20-2016, 10:53 AM   #40

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I am not so fearful that I can't deal with gas, the point is I don't want to deal with propane. I don't want the hassle of having to take care of them or hooking them up or getting them filled etc.
I have found that doing the above is actually way easier than what some seem to believe and is a none event. Take less than 10 min of my time about every 6-8 weeks of actual camping usage.

I use my trailer a lot and the various propane appliances a lot, as electrical sites at Provincial & National Parks in this part of NA are a rare thing so propane appliances are a MUST have if one wishes to get out and enjoy the parks. With the dropping prices of solar the use of generators is becoming more restricted and your camping neighbours are more inclined to give you THAT look should you use one. :-O

As you have discovered trailers without propane are hard to come by and not many manufactures are willing to build one either. The simple reason for it is they are not poplar and a very hard sell.

Having an all electric trailer puts a BIG restriction as to where one can camp. Something to keep in mind if resale value and ability to sell fast, is of any concern to you.

Now if I was not wanting to deal with propane for what ever reason but wanted to make sure I protected my money investment, I would at the very least make sure any trailer I purchased was completely piped for propane so it would be very easy for a future owner to add in propane appliances. Or buy a trailer with the propane appliances and simple not use them.

But if you have money to burn then by all means go for the all electric with no propane option.

Smoke and CO detectors in trailers and in your home should be tested often and replaced every 10 years as they do tend to malfunction with age. If using an inexpensive battery operated one in a trailer I am inclined to replace them much sooner than that though.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote