I sure hope this isn't a sign about my hopes for all electric....this chick is sad - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2016, 10:32 PM   #41

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Crystal, There's obviously a big difference between camping needs in your cooler Northern climate versus our warmer Gulf Coast region. Down here in the South, we can camp nearly year-around and seldom need a heater, and if we dodge the occasional thunderstorm, we can grill out year-around, too. So the normal advantages of gas for heating and cooking aren't such a big deal down here. However, having air conditioning IS a big deal for Summer camping here. Most all of our State Parks and Army Corp of Engineers camp grounds, which seem sometimes to be around every corner, provide 30 amp electric with many offering multiple sites with full hook-ups (electric, water and sewer). As an example, check out the website for Gunter Hill Campground (U.S. Army Corp of Engineers) near Montgomery, AL, where we hold our annual Green Eggs & Ham Rally each March. They offer a little something for everyone in the way of camp sites - even sites just for tent campers. Anyway, all-electric campers are actually quite popular down here, if you can find one. If you see one posted for sale, you better jump on it before someone else snaps it up. And yes, there are primitive camp sites around the South as well, and there are many camping enthusiasts down here who enjoy heating and cooking with gas even in full hook-up sites. But not having gas is certainly not a deal breaker for camping in the South and doesn't hurt demand for used campers or their resale value, either. Just my two cents worth on the topic.... Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #42

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
I agree, if there wasn't buyers for all electric, they'd be on the site for longer than a few days. I acutally compiled a list of egg campers sold in the rv sale site and some were cheaper than others and some had mods and some didn't, almost all were dated and sold within days to a month after original post. Buying used is hard since the price has went up for the new models used is holding value well (unless issues) but it seems with so many adding items the value would go up more but that is not always the case. I have to say the fact that you can't find one listing right now for an all electric egg camper speaks to me that the demand is high. I agree that a/c would be needed in the south/west more than heat which is why I see so many that are for sale, they are out that direction. I wouldn't say I have money to blow, but I also know that I'll retain the value much longer in any FB trailer than I have in my sticky.....I had a window drip last fall with the monsoon weather we had and I quickly fixed with new weather stripping, but in that brief moment I did some research and realized how fast a tiny leak could turn into total catastophe with mold mildew and rot......so I'd have to say if I have money to throw away I'd buy another sticky, but that isn't the case and one learns from the past, so we home I don't winter camp, so the one or two times I'd need warmth, I'll kick the space heater into high gear, or bundle up.....I have 2 kids to keep me warm. As far as the smoke alarm, I bought one last fall and put it in storage with the trailer so I knew it needed to be swapped out asap when I get it out of storage. Thanks everyone again and I'll keep you posted.....I have been thinking if I had an Eggcamper, how would I decorate, and the colors of retro PEZ or Rosie flash before my eyes and vinyl decals.....oh the possibilities are endless and I love creativity ......
Old 01-21-2016, 02:42 PM   #43

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LDY View Post
I have to say the fact that you can't find one listing right now for an all electric egg camper speaks to me that the demand is high. ...
Or its simple the fact that very few are actually made.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #44

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think I've read every post in this thread and the one point about propane that I haven't read.... is a fully functional trailer that can be used for a bug out. Whether that's weather related or a catastrophe at home. For instance, if your home loses power (natural disaster) you can move into your trailer and be well fed and warm if you have propane. Extension cords don't help much if there's no power available.

I see the eastern part of the US is under a severe weather alert for snow in the next few days. While I hope no one needs to move into their trailer, it's nice to know they could for the reasons I mentioned above.

Best of luck in your decision.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #45

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Or its simple the fact that very few are actually made.
Yes, almost no trailers are made that are all-electric. And then there are the people who do not know what they are buying having never camped. They decide they need to then put in propane.

Good point Donna made and I know some people in California and elsewhere have their trailers stocked for just such situations after a few occurred. Even campgrounds do sometimes have the power out.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #46

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We camp off grid quite often .Solar and propane make this possible and enjoyable. Our refrigerator spends more time running on propane than 120 VAC. I have to agree with the idea of just buying a standard trailer with propane and not fill the propane tanks.
You will not have to worry about propane and have better resale value. IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:38 PM   #47

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think I've read every post in this thread and the one point about propane that I haven't read.... is a fully functional trailer that can be used for a bug out. Whether that's weather related or a catastrophe at home. For instance, if your home loses power (natural disaster) you can move into your trailer and be well fed and warm if you have propane. Extension cords don't help much if there's no power available.
Exactly why I have a fully stocked larger sticky + generators. If a bug out , the Casita would be elected. Donna's comments made me think of how many times in the past 30+ years that we've had to use what ever RV we had at the time because of power or water outages. Sure was nice to finish cooking the meatloaf in the LP oven .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:02 AM   #48

Michigan
Quote:

I see the eastern part of the US is under a severe weather alert for snow in the next few days. While I hope no one needs to move into their trailer, it's nice to know they could for the reasons I mentioned above.

Thanks and yes I agree and my friend did that once too, but we had the whole house wired for a generator since my hubby hunts and the cost of the meat we would lose in our freeze would be more in the end than the cost of the generator. We saved our money and had the breaker box in the house all rewired and compatible for generator. I do agree this could be very helpful though
Old 01-22-2016, 07:20 AM   #49

Michigan
As for my "not owned yet trailer", I do also have a little honda generator if I needed it, I bought it for all the years of doing my local Relay for Life at the local parks overnight to keep my fundraising going all night with lights and coffee pots etc. It was also nice plugging in a friends camper so the kids could be in there when it was time to sleep, and then me and my mom slept outside on cots under the canopy with sleeping bags..... one time at relay I was a week overdue for my first child and I slept in my car the night before the event....talk about uncomfortable lol another year I slept in my camp chair for a few hours and had frost on the bottom of the sleeping bag by morning..... I think all my overnight camp outs with relay (13 years) and out houses have prepared me well for camping lol

But again, I haven't bought anything yet....I think the reason I keep coming back to egg camper is that it is all electric, if I got a scamp or an escape made with all electric it would be harder to sell since people looking for those would expect gas, but the egg camper they would expect electric. I do like the little snoozy but at this point I'm more comfortable with the tanks than the potty cartridge, and I do prefer the side entry vs rear with the canopy, otherwise that would be the other I'd be looking at.

Thanks everyone, and I do hope this helps others to really look at all these good examples of why/why not to help them in making their decisions too, you all bring up really good points and each time it does make me think "do I need that??" and if I don't it just validates my decision.

I think so far for me the biggest issue would be losing my outdoor shower (which escape can do but again, those trailers usually sell better with gas), but who says that can't be added down the road. Has anyone ever read somewhere that someone added an outdoor shower to their trailer? I'm sure it can be done, I'll search forums later for this one
Old 01-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #50

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Crystal, We have one of those super-quiet little Honda EU2000 generators, and it powers our EggCamper just fine in a pinch. The only thing is that we start it on full power until the A/C powers up the first time, then we switch it to "eco throttle". Since the Honda has an actual fuel pump (unlike the Yamaha that is only gravity flow fuel), you can buy a fuel-line adapter that replaces the standard cap on those red plastic 5 gallon gas cans (like you can buy at Wal-Mart), and it will run forever. Have you tried one of those fuel can adapters on yours for longer run time? Dale
Old 01-23-2016, 03:02 PM   #51

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:

With you Donna. We lived in the Northeast where we rarely have a power outage however it did happen. We moved from the house to the RV and spent a comfortable day.

Once while in the Seattle area we had a massive wind and snow storm. Trees came down and power was out for a week. Our RV served as the eating place for us and the family we were visiting. (WA was really slow to get power back.)

It's nice to have a backup place and plan. Personally even if I didn't want to use Propane if I were buying an Escape I'd have it installed.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #52

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LDY View Post
As for my "not owned yet trailer", I do also have a little honda generator if I needed it, I bought it for all the years of doing my local Relay for Life at the local parks overnight to keep my fundraising going all night with lights and coffee pots etc. It was also nice plugging in a friends camper so the kids could be in there when it was time to sleep, and then me and my mom slept outside on cots under the canopy with sleeping bags..... one time at relay I was a week overdue for my first child and I slept in my car the night before the event....talk about uncomfortable lol another year I slept in my camp chair for a few hours and had frost on the bottom of the sleeping bag by morning..... I think all my overnight camp outs with relay (13 years) and out houses have prepared me well for camping lol

But again, I haven't bought anything yet....I think the reason I keep coming back to egg camper is that it is all electric, if I got a scamp or an escape made with all electric it would be harder to sell since people looking for those would expect gas, but the egg camper they would expect electric. I do like the little snoozy but at this point I'm more comfortable with the tanks than the potty cartridge, and I do prefer the side entry vs rear with the canopy, otherwise that would be the other I'd be looking at.

Thanks everyone, and I do hope this helps others to really look at all these good examples of why/why not to help them in making their decisions too, you all bring up really good points and each time it does make me think "do I need that??" and if I don't it just validates my decision.

I think so far for me the biggest issue would be losing my outdoor shower (which escape can do but again, those trailers usually sell better with gas), but who says that can't be added down the road. Has anyone ever read somewhere that someone added an outdoor shower to their trailer? I'm sure it can be done, I'll search forums later for this one
I've only known two Eggcamper owners, both bought all electric and had propane installed later. Both sold their Eggcampers and bought Escapes with Propane.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:05 PM   #53

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Not my call, but if I were Escape, I wouldn't build an all-electric unless you paid in full when ordering it. I wouldn't want to be stuck with the all-electric trailer and only a forfeited deposit if the sale didn't go through.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:36 PM   #54

Colorado
True story - I grew up on a remote ranch in the high mountains of south-central Colorado (Custer County, for those who know the area), and one of our closer neighbors (about 5 miles east of us) had a slide-in camper he used once a year for hunting season. It was back in the 1970's, he had just mounted the camper onto the bed of his farm pickup and was prepping it for a hunting trip when he smelled propane. He crawled inside the camper to try to figure out where the leak was when something sparked, and the camper literally exploded around him! Luckily, he was on his belly on the floor when it exploded, and everything blew up and away from him. Had some singed hair and a ringing in his ears for a good while afterward, but miraculously, he lived to tell the story. Actually his wife is the one who loves telling the story on him. She was home, heard the boom and ran frantically out of the farmhouse to find him stumbling about in the rubble that used to be his camper. Very lucky guy.... Oh, and he replaced the damaged bed of the pickup with a stake-side flat bed for feeding his cattle and never went hunting again - as far as I know. True story...
Old 01-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #55

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Well Dale, there's the one in a million incident for an LP explosion. Wonder what the cause was. Glad he was OK.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:14 PM   #56

Colorado
He was an older man, life-long rancher/cowboy and life-long smoker, with a lot of what actress Kim Darby would call "True Grit". His wife accused him, seriously and teasingly, of: 1) being absent-minded and entering the camper with a lit cigarette or 2) being totally stupid and lighting a match (he always carried kitchen matches in his shirt pocket) to better see inside the dark interior. He plead total innocence to both accusations. His best guess was that one of the matches in his shirt pocket accidentally lit somehow or that his large western belt buckle sparked against something metal as he slid into the camper on his belly. It was the talk of our small community for quite some time, and the court of public opinion sided strongly with his wife.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:27 PM   #57

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
And, being a long-time smoker, he couldn't smell the gas.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:58 AM   #58

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I sure hope this isn't a sign about my hopes for all electric....this chick i...

Guy was very lucky to survive.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #59

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Great story, Dale! Got a belly laugh out of that one!

I have a strong suspicion that many more RVs (and homes) are destroyed by electrical fires than gas explosions, but the later are more dramatic. When I was a kid a house in a new subdivision two blocks away exploded in the early hours of the morning, killing both occupants. The cause was eventually determined to be a new type of natural gas supply line that was later banned and became the subject of litigation. But the memory of that lingered for years in my mind. It was a long time before I was comfortable with any kind of gas in my home.

In the end, though, I don't understand why we keep beating this dead horse. The OP wants all-electric, she understands the ramifications, and it's available. She should do what works for her.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:09 PM   #60

Michigan
Thanks Jon and yes I have read and researched and I think it'll work fine for me. As for gas tank converter for my 2000i I have not done that but I haven't ran for more than 6 or so hours.....if I did order an escape it would be after selling the sticky I have and yes I'd pay in full or 50%, at that point I'd not change my mind but again I am leaning toward egg camper again right now due to the timeframe.
I work for a power company that deals with gas and electric, I hear stories, locally we had a pipe that blew out of the ground, thankfully no one was around to light a match but the pressure from the busted pipeline sounded like a train coming down the tracks. We all have our phobias .....I don't care for deep water either, so I don't take cruises, some people don't fly on planes, some are afraid of animals (as I caught a chipmunk yesterday with a Rubbermaid tote at my church hall!)....I think I gave enough examples I was at my husbands Xmas party yesterday and sounds like a group of ladies get together camping at the one ladies house with their campers. They all have power hookup, she made it clear she was equipped to handle everyone's trailer plugs, there were a couple ladies who said they'll have the hubby bring the 5th wheel and then make them leave, I love the thought that again I can do this on my own .....now whether I want to hang with his coworkers without him lol
4x4LDY is offline   Reply With Quote