I sure hope this isn't a sign about my hopes for all electric....this chick is sad - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #1

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
I sure hope this isn't a sign about my hopes for all electric....this chick is sad

LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS TRAVEL TRAILER

Nicely equipped $24990.

EGGCAMPER IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED

NEW PRODUCTION SCHEDULE

YET TO BE ANNOUNCED
Old 12-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Hopefully they just shut down for a holiday vacation break and will be back strong in January. Did Eggcamper announce a significant price increase a few months ago ?
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:45 PM   #3

Michigan
I know it changed the price for 2016 models, I was hoping to find one used, but sadly the only one lately is in Alaska......
Old 12-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
I seem to remember seeing in another post that the owner takes the winter off each year.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #5

Michigan
Found it, WHEW!!!!

Ray N
Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Jim Palmer at Eggcamper is probably at an age where he doesn't want to work overly hard, so reducing volume might be welcome to him..

When we bought our EggCamper (in 2009), Jim said he closed down operations every winter and went to Arizona. He said that he built the EggCamper more as a retirement "hobby" than as a business. This also explains the attitude that "you can have it as I make it, or go somewhere else."
Old 12-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Isn't Lil' Snoozy also all electric? I was shocked to see the price on EggCamper jump $5,000 in one leap.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:11 AM   #7

Michigan
Yeah it is but I guess not a jump if you didn't know it existed until it was $25k I think Lil snoozy with options will be about the same price in the end, but yes also all electric. When the time comes I'll truly decide, but for now I like the side entry vs. the rear and I do like the white clean slate in which to color. I still keep looking for a used egg locally, but nothing thus far. I think after surfing and finding that he does go out of town for the winter gave me peace of mind for now
Old 12-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #8

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
I called recently to investigate a purchase and talked with Jim for a while discussing EggCampers. He is a very nice man with wonderful business ethics and I thoroughly enjoyed our conversation. However, he is in the position to sell and looking for a qualified buyer for the business. I've been dutifully purchasing lottery tickets and praying that I could win so I could get a new EggCamper by moving my "order" to the head of the production line. It's just a dream for me at this point but Jim has fulfilled his dream and is ready to retire. Seems like a golden opportunity for the right person with the investment capital.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:54 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmm...... Sounds like an opportunity for the new EggLiner, or will it be the "Parkcamper" or maybe the "EggScrambler"??? LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:11 AM   #10

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We bought our EggCamper new in 2011. It was all electric. At that time the website advertised "nicely equipped fro $17990". After the first winter in the south we realized that all electric did not work for us so had propane heat and cooking added. Apparently the price is now $24990. That's a $7000 price jump and a39% increase. I now have a 19 foot Escape much better equipped than the EggCamper. The EggCamper is a good trailer but, in my opinion, not in the same class as the Escape. I have about $23000 in my Escape (it's new) and that was at the exchange rate of last December which isn't even close to what it is now. The downside to Escape right now is the very long wait to get one after placing the order. Had I wanted to go to pick mine up, I could have had it in 9 months. I understand the wait is now over a year.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #11

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
We bought our EggCamper new in 2011. It was all electric. At that time the website advertised "nicely equipped fro $17990". After the first winter in the south we realized that all electric did not work for us so had propane heat and cooking added. Apparently the price is now $24990. That's a $7000 price jump and a39% increase. I now have a 19 foot Escape much better equipped than the EggCamper. The EggCamper is a good trailer but, in my opinion, not in the same class as the Escape. I have about $23000 in my Escape (it's new) and that was at the exchange rate of last December which isn't even close to what it is now. The downside to Escape right now is the very long wait to get one after placing the order. Had I wanted to go to pick mine up, I could have had it in 9 months. I understand the wait is now over a year.
aside from the gas/electric differences, what would you say is the pro cons from the viewpoint of someone that has owned both?
Old 01-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #12

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We used and liked our EggCamper for three years but all electric just didn't work for us even in Arizona where we go in the winter. It's a decent trailer with some drawbacks. The dinette, for example, makes into a bed for one but my adult son who sometimes goes with me has to sleep on the floor since the dinette bed isn't long enough for an adult. The air conditioner is either too small or the placement prevents it from doing a good job. It's located under one dinette seat. No door on the bath and not a lot of storage space. My Escape has more storage space than I'm likely to use. The EggCamper was a good buy at the price we paid but not at its present price especially when compared to my Escape 19. The Escape is almost completely custom built with a long list of standard features including awning. It also has a long list of options from which I chose just four. The Escape is much nicer inside and when compared with the exchange rate between U.S. and Canadian money is a better buy. The EggCamper is short on storage space, the fresh water, black and gray water tanks are small as is the water heater. The 1000 watt electric heater is inadequate in very cold temps. The fridge is also very small but doesn't have to be level like typical rv fridges because it's a compressor fridge. I took the standard fridge in my Escape and it's more than twice as big as the one in the EggCamper. Escape also makes a 17 foot as well as a 21 ft plus a 20 foot 5th wheel. The only drawback to an Escape that I can see right now is that the entire production for 2016 is all sold. Since you're in Michigan, you're welcome to contact me after I get home about the end of March and come look at mine.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #13

Michigan
I'd love to come see it. We'll have to touch base in PM for location. Good to know the details for sure. I know a lot that go FT say it can't do 4 seasons since the cold is to much ....I can't say that I would camp anytime from Nov-March anyhow so that doesn't bother me....but this year has been weird, I think we had water days in Dec than Oct I know storage wouldn't be much different than I have now and we'll utilize under the bed for sure, wondering how big that cubby is over behind dinette seat.
The fridge doesn't bother me to much, I didn't use it much when we went since I still take a big cooler for drinks esp for kids.... Some people have added a bigger one so I may have to look at doing that.
The tanks don't bother me much either, although maybe down the road it could, we used the bath house at campground the last 2 camp outs, so really needed it for dishes and flushing potty in middle of the night....since just me camping I don't want the kids venturing out in the middle of the night to pee. I think I mostly need to learn more about the appliances etc.....thanks for letting me know some of the differences....I agree a new one isn't going to happen in 2016 for either camper, but keeping options open for used, I just keep leaning toward all electric time and again, need to learn more about solar too....
Old 01-13-2016, 09:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've never seen an EggCamper in person, but I hope to some day. The lack of a front or back window would never work for me. One or the other would be fine (prefer back), but not having either is a deal breaker.

I'm not a fair weather camper. Going out for four days and expect 100% chance of rain. I need to at least look outside (a lot) even if I'm not outside. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #15

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
We used and liked our EggCamper for three years but all electric just didn't work for us even in Arizona where we go in the winter. It's a decent trailer with some drawbacks. The dinette, for example, makes into a bed for one but my adult son who sometimes goes with me has to sleep on the floor since the dinette bed isn't long enough for an adult. The air conditioner is either too small or the placement prevents it from doing a good job. It's located under one dinette seat. No door on the bath and not a lot of storage space. My Escape has more storage space than I'm likely to use. The EggCamper was a good buy at the price we paid but not at its present price especially when compared to my Escape 19. The Escape is almost completely custom built with a long list of standard features including awning. It also has a long list of options from which I chose just four. The Escape is much nicer inside and when compared with the exchange rate between U.S. and Canadian money is a better buy. The EggCamper is short on storage space, the fresh water, black and gray water tanks are small as is the water heater. The 1000 watt electric heater is inadequate in very cold temps. The fridge is also very small but doesn't have to be level like typical rv fridges because it's a compressor fridge. I took the standard fridge in my Escape and it's more than twice as big as the one in the EggCamper. Escape also makes a 17 foot as well as a 21 ft plus a 20 foot 5th wheel. The only drawback to an Escape that I can see right now is that the entire production for 2016 is all sold. Since you're in Michigan, you're welcome to contact me after I get home about the end of March and come look at mine.
I think I did contact Escape to see if I could do just electric with them and it wasn't an option....I wish the options could be omitting as well as adding :/
4x4LDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LDY View Post
I think I did contact Escape to see if I could do just electric with them and it wasn't an option....I wish the options could be omitting as well as adding :/
Just because you have it doesn't mean you ever have to use it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:53 AM   #17
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Unfortunately a factory price increase to $25k means used prices increase as well. Might be cheaper to buy something else and convert it. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:02 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Just because you have it doesn't mean you ever have to use it!
Right. While camping a couple of years ago we were talking to the owner of a medium sized motor home and he told us that, after five years of owning and camping with it, he had never filled his propane tanks. Here in the South, pretty much all campgrounds have electricity because air conditioning is sometimes a necessity.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:40 PM   #19

Michigan
I contacted Scamp today and they said they could do all electric for me and even leave the range out for me as that is the only thing they can't do electric (no cost benefit to omit). Casita can't do electric only. I am looking at the escape as Bob has steered me toward and I do like it. I'd love to see the gaucho bunk as I'm having a hard time seeing those examples. I also haven't found a weight limit for the bunks in the scamp. I'm doing more research and going to make a good choice now that I'm learning more about these. Again, the all electric is what I really want, so as long as companies are willing to modify, I guess I'd be willing to buy.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:43 PM   #20

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Right. While camping a couple of years ago we were talking to the owner of a medium sized motor home and he told us that, after five years of owning and camping with it, he had never filled his propane tanks. Here in the South, pretty much all campgrounds have electricity because air conditioning is sometimes a necessity.
lol and the reverse is true in MI, air not as much as heat lol, and hence my issues with all my friends saying I need propane, I was a sucker and caved, then was almost to afraid to use it....let just say even starting the grill outside freaks me out