I think I know why some RVs get poor mpg!!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Good thing it's plastic, Jim-

It'll smoke like a son-of-a-gun when you use it to build a signal fire when you're deep in the boonies out of phone range.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #22

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
If it moves and you don't want it to - use some duct tape.
If it doesn't move and you want it to - use some WD40.

Here endeth the lesson.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #23

Name: Sam
Trailer: Owner 16' Amerigo
Tennessee
I thought all you need was a Leatherman?
And be like macgyver.....
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:14 AM   #24

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas

1/4, 3/8, 1/2" sae and metric, shallow and deep socket sets, sae and metric wrenches, screwdrivers, picks, pipe wrenches, hacksaw, hammers, chisels, punches, 24" breaker bar and 1.5" socket for trailer balls, kroil, antiseize, gojo, hand towels, wire strippers/crimpers, wire, crimp connectors, fuses, gloves, duct tape, electrical tape, pliers, needle nose, channel locks, side cutters, vise grips, cordless drill converted to corded operation with battery alligator clamps, drill bits, multi-meter, silicone, tire gauge, sae and metric Allen wrenches, emery cloth, hose clamps.

Two spare tires, floor jack, 4 way lug wrench, ratchet straps, pre-greased wheel bearings and seals, spare hub/drum assembly, lugnuts

I'm sure I'm forgetting some
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #25

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
My tool kit has a multi tool, a screwdriver with 6 bits, zip ties, tape, and some other small misc items. So if it's a small fix, I have the tools. If it's a medium fix, I go to the hardware for supplies. If it's a BIG fix, then its beyond what I can do (so the tools won't matter anyway).
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #26

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I bet this thread is scaring the bejesus out of newbees!

If I thought my tug and tow were in such bad shape I had to carry tools for every eventuality... I'd stay home.

We know stuff breaks and things happen... blow outs, fuses blow, plumbing can leak, etc. As long as the trailer is safe to go down the road... travel lights work, etc., everything else can be delayed until I get home. I'm a former tent camper and didn't have indoor lights, indoor plumbing, etc.

I do carry a toolbox. It has fuses, tapes, a few miscellaneous bolts, etc. etc. But, I'm trying to travel light, not carry my entire garage of tools with me. And, I have a ton of tools!

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #27

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I've used them to many times to go without.

Blown tranny line on the Titan, bad spark plug on the hardbody, bad injector on the hardbody, fried wheel bearings on a minivan, bad radiator hose on the eclipse, trailer harness cut from road debris, etc.

If I'm on a road trip, the tools come with, period. I also keep a few extra quarts of engine oil, tranny fluid, and a gallon of 50/50 antifreeze.

Heck, I changed the clutch on a '82 1 ton chevy flatbed by driving the front tires up on napas curb, and buying the clutch and tools to change it, wish I had my tools then.

I've saved my butt plenty of times by being prepared.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #28

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I do carry a toolbox. It has fuses, tapes, a few miscellaneous bolts, etc. etc. But, I'm trying to travel light, not carry my entire garage of tools with me. And, I have a ton of tools!
I now use a small tool bag, and really like it over a box, as it conforms nicely to the spot in the Pilot it is stowed in. My two mirror extensions when stowed take up as much room as my tools.

I used to carry way more tools than I do now, but when I had a 24' stickie, I used my work truck to pull it, and had a good selection of tools in it, many of which actually were pulled out to go somewhere.

When I first got the Escape 19, I carried a fairly full (but smaller) toolbox, not wanting to be left stranded somewhere, after the first year I brutally pared it down, and in consecutive years pulled out even more of the ones I never really used.

I like to be able to do any little repairs or mods on the fly, or get myself out of a jamb, but if something more serious should come up, I would gladly call in some help.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #29

Registry
Wow, Jared, you're certainly ready for every emergency. Everything that you've described falls into my BIG problem list (beyond my capabilities). So I make sure to have things checked out and fixed before I pull out of the driveway. After that, I go camping and leave things to the camping gods. So far, 4 years of fiberglass bliss and no emergencies on the road.
If I was going on longer extended trips, I'd join one of the camping clubs for insurance /towing. Unfortunately, my j-o-b keeps me tethered for many more years
Old 02-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #30

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I think Jared is prepared for and capable of and accustomed to doing more breakdown repair and replacement on the tv than most of us. I try to keep the cold steel to a minimum, well minimum plus, yeh everything that will fit. I'm not a wrench and I still have trouble subduing the Boy Scout.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #31

Registry
I can't tell you how many times I've loaned tools to campers that didn't bring their own!

Francesca
Old 02-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #32

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I removed my axle (and had it straitened), while in a camp ground, in the Yukon territories. I don't know what I would have done, to get the axle fixed, if I didn't have a small tool box. Do-do happens

later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #33

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I was given a Leatherman 12 years ago when we bought our first RV. I wear it every day and have used it more than all other tools combined.

I did break a blade and Leatherman replaced it for free in a couple of days.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I had the full-size Leatherman for years, but the weight of it pulled my pants down. Recently replaced it with the Leatherman Wave. Much more useful tool selection and it's lighter. Been wearing it on my belt since I retired ( along with my Maglite ).
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #35

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I keep my trailer key and bottle opener both on the keyring of a Leatherman Mini. Fits in a pants pocket. Cool little tool... I use the nail file more than anything.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #36

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
over packing

I tend to pack anything I think I might need and stuff I am sure I wont need but pack it just in case.
On our last family trip our daughter and son in law needed bug spray, duct tape, hot glue gun and marshmallows, each for a different problem of course.
I had all of them-I started being teased about being a Walmart on wheels.
I did sort through my camping stuff and took out 1/3 of the stuff I thought I might not really need.
Boy-it was so difficult to do.
I do like to be prepared for anything.
Hurry up warm weather-want to hit the road!
Mrs.Rich
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky 4 View Post
I did sort through my camping stuff and took out 1/3 of the stuff I thought I might not really need.

Mrs.Rich

You're gonna be kickin' yourself when you reach for that
battery-powered combination rotisserie/snakebite kit and it's not there!!!

Francesca
Old 02-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #38

Registry
I've been thinning out my 'just in case' camping stuff, and you know, I'm finding that I still don't need half of what I bring.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #39

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I was given a Leatherman 12 years ago when we bought our first RV. I wear it every day and have used it more than all other tools combined.

I did break a blade and Leatherman replaced it for free in a couple of days.
I have had a Leatherman on my hip most of the time, for a good 20 years now. First the orignal Leatherman, and since it came out about 12 years ago, the Wave, of which I am on my second one.

I actually have had 2 replaced with little question asked.

I use this tool hard. It gets a ton of use, both at home and at work where I do home building and renovations. The one thing that when I first started carrying one that surprised me how much I used, is the pliers. Having that power grip available for many things is indispensable.

Prior to that, I carried a Swiss Army knife in my pocket since I was a teen. I do still miss the tweezers and toothpick, but would MUCH rather have the pliers.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #40

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I carry a Leatherman Micra whenever I travel. Amazingly good little tool for its size. I especially like the scissors and tweezers.