I think I've been insulted. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-28-2007, 01:50 PM   #15

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
The dealer wants our hard earned $$$ The bank wants the intrest on the loan AND they want to sell YOUR present trailer for you AT A FEE. Therefore lightening OUR load. All the while we go down the road at less $$$ per mile and PREPAID.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:08 PM   #16

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
The dealer wants our hard earned $$$ The bank wants the intrest on the loan AND they want to sell YOUR present trailer for you AT A FEE. Therefore lightening OUR load. All the while we go down the road at less $$$ per mile and PREPAID.
In other words <strike>my continuing to have a fiberglass trailer will result in the future economic collapse of America</strike> I'm one of the brave people who'se helping these people seek out a new and more ethical form of employment.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:23 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
California
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Just got the February copy of Highways. On the bottom half of page 54 is a picture of a 13' fiberglass trailer with the caption, "Need something a little bigger?"
Bigger is not always better!
Back in the early 70s I had a 24' boat all rigged for off shore fishing. I kept it in a slip at Dana Point Cal.
On weekends we would criuse up to Newport Beach Harbor because there were quite a few resturants and bars with guest slips. We would always see the same big yatchs sitting in their slips with their owners sitting on the after deck with their drinks in hand.
Mine was not the fanciest, biggest or best looking boat in the Harbor but I could afford to use it when I wanted to.
You can have the big monthly payment, and the big fuel bill. I love my little Toyota Tacoma and my older paid for 13' Scamp. I can afford to go camping and fishing when I want to , not when the monthly payment allows it.
John
Old 01-28-2007, 06:24 PM   #18

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
I went to the boat and RV show here in Chicago last week.
I laughed a lot. All behemoths only 2 smaller trailers (similar to my Burro but stick built.)

I think my current favorite is the huge Swat looking truck rv. I kept looking for the gun lockers. 80 gallon diesel tank to fill. Ouch!
I still marvel that people would want to drag those monsters around.

I am also jealous of our new Italian freinds, what a beautiful trailer they have. The europeans sure have us beat for campers.

Oh yes the boats, heh heh heh. I didn't see the boat I could afford.
It would say Craftsman on the side and have oars.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:43 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Don't be insulted -- Just laugh on the way to the bank to deposit what you saved by having a tiny trailer -- And enjoy your stays in the rustic CGs that are not open to the Bulgemobiles because of site size, sharp turns, overhanging trees, and so on
Old 01-28-2007, 09:29 PM   #20

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
For some insidious reason, I have always thought to myself that a souped-up Gremlin might be a perfect FGRV tow vehicle.

Loren

Quote:
I think I'm at a bit of a disadvantage here, since I haven't seen the magazine and would not even know exactly which one to look for at the store. Is this Highways Magazine, from the Good Sam Club? If so, the online version is for members only, and I assume the printed version only goes to members.

I used to drive an AMC Gremlin, and was familiar with the "where's the rest of your car" jokes. In that case, the car was just the cheapest thing one could get with wheels (and worth almost every penny...), but our deliberately small trailers are another matter entirely. Like most of us, I could buy a much bigger trailer, and no one is going to make me feel inferior because I didn't.

I think my Boler - like me - is old enough to have the maturity to let the insult roll right off.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:20 AM   #21

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
For some insidious reason, I have always thought to myself that a souped-up Gremlin might be a perfect FGRV tow vehicle.
Loren
I agree!! Someone want to Photoshop a setup??
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:14 PM   #22

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:

Loren
... because it has almost no rear overhang, and you can get a big V8 under the hood. Yep, such stuff occurs to people with Gremlin experience and warped minds.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:37 PM   #23

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
I do remember about 12 years ago when camping on Roan Mountain Tn. A secret place don't tell anyone.

Some guy drove up from Chattanoga to see if his BIG trailer would fit in the campground.
That's about a days ride I guess. Crazy huh?
Old 01-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #24

Name: Vic
Trailer: Trail Mite
California
Cool

Quote:
I agree!! Someone want to Photoshop a setup??
You mean like the Garth Mobile Party here? Not the best PhotoShop job, but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
GremAndBoler.jpg  
Old 01-30-2007, 09:39 AM   #25

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Strange thing happened yesterday, certainly not by coincidence; I got in the mail an envelope asking me to renew my "Trailer Life" magazine.

First thing that came to my mind was that ad.

Ah! Well! The rag is cheap. Probably little over a buck an issue.

All one needs to do is look near the front at all the people's name listed as editors, associate editors etc., etc., etc., ad-naseum and think about what salary each one of them would like and how much they really earn. Then you realize what a bargain you're getting.

I'm like many of you all here. Our Scamp always invites interest, and I always oblige with a tour. Has my hospitality ever been returned? Not once.

Did I re-subscribe? You betcha'.

How else would I get to see inside of those big rigs, except buy the rag or go to a RV show and subject myself to the wiles of the sharpest sales persons in the area!

You see, it's better to be aware, than right! Right?

Loren
Old 01-30-2007, 02:26 PM   #26

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Well, I finally bought the magazine (Trailer Life) and read the ad. I was prepared to be offended, insulted, and annoyed. I wasn't... any of them.

The ad is very clean and simple in style. If it were a different style, it might have included a family of five or six, with a couple of newly-added kids, to fill out the story of needing a bigger trailer. Would it more acceptable then?

The trailer - which does looks like a Trillium-family 13' design, but long before the Outback - is clean, tidy, and not in any way shown to be substandard. It's just obviously small.

I wonder if big-trailer owners would be insulted if it showed a 36' trailer hooked to a Honda Element and the text "Need a smaller trailer?".

By the way, there are ads for both Scamp and Casita in the same issue. The same company who placed the ad even has a text-only ad in the classified section, immediately under a Casita ad. It makes me wonder what they think about the ad.

I don't subscribe to Trailer Life, because the articles usually have little value and the subscription terms are unfavourable in Canada... but I do buy an occasional issue. The ads are a large part of the value, sometimes only for their humour. Strangely, in this issue there is an ad from Trailair for a rubber-cushioned equalizer (like the Dexter in Pete's Tandem Axles? topic), a product which does not even appear on their website yet!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:42 AM   #27

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
You mean like the Garth Mobile Party here? Not the best PhotoShop job, but you get the idea.
Oh man, you... like... so totally... dude... need to link to Bohemian Rhapsody for this one!

Roger
Old 01-31-2007, 06:48 AM   #28

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Mini Gremlin, but we got the idea!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote