I think I've been insulted. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Just got the February copy of Highways. On the bottom half of page 54 is a picture of a 13' fiberglass trailer with the caption, "Need something a little bigger?"

No, I don't need something bigger at this time.

They tried to anonymize the trailer, but I think the molding pattern identifies it as an early Trillium Outback.

I think I'm going to carry a grudge with rvSearch.com.

Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:43 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Old 01-27-2007, 07:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft ('Kermit' It's not easy being green!)
What!! Us Trillium owners have done been slurred!
debbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

They are just jealous of the fact that you don't have to mortgage your house and grandkids to pay the gas bill to cross the country. Don't let them bother you, we know that if everyone experienced Eggs, they would want one also.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
I saw that and thought Oh--Oh they're going to rain on someones parade, BUT not mine, I have something a little bigger, a Casita 17'
Old 01-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft ('Kermit' It's not easy being green!)
Quote:

They are just jealous of the fact that you don't have to mortgage your house and grandkids to pay the gas bill to cross the country. Don't let them bother you, we know that if everyone experienced Eggs, they would want one also.
How true, how true!
debbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:

[b]YUP- -- On our first long trip with our Scamp a few years ago, Carrie and I were sitting in that beautiful rest area on I-5 on the CA-OR border having our morning coffee. A big class A was sitting there also. The man was out drinking his coffee and sorta looked at our set-up condensendingly (sp?) I sorta grinned and told the wench "we have less inour whole set-up than he has in his toad and you know what -our coffee is prob better, too!!" Life is a hoot Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
I thought it was a stupid ad. The bigger the RV, the bigger the profit. Well worth the effort to sell one. The small, molded travel trailers don't need a lot of advertising to sell. They like to call us "entry level". Ha, Ha Ha!
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:02 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I think I'm at a bit of a disadvantage here, since I haven't seen the magazine and would not even know exactly which one to look for at the store. Is this Highways Magazine, from the Good Sam Club? If so, the online version is for members only, and I assume the printed version only goes to members.

I used to drive an AMC Gremlin, and was familiar with the "where's the rest of your car" jokes. In that case, the car was just the cheapest thing one could get with wheels (and worth almost every penny...), but our deliberately small trailers are another matter entirely. Like most of us, I could buy a much bigger trailer, and no one is going to make me feel inferior because I didn't.

I think my Boler - like me - is old enough to have the maturity to let the insult roll right off.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:05 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

The half-page ad is also in the February issue of Trailer Life, on page 84.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:07 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
The ad is also in the February issue of Trailer Life.
Thanks, Frederick... now I have to go find a Trailer Life...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: I think the reason the shoulders of our Boler were made round was to shed all the "Parade Precipitation" When I think of our initial investment and all the fun we have with it... I smile all the way to the bank machine
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:43 PM   #13

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Maybe we should run a counter ad - 'need something a litte smaller?'
Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:23 PM   #14

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Good idea Kathie.

How about: Need: less monthly payments .... less housekeeping .... less gas bills and great fiberglass friends...
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:50 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler 1984
The dealer wants our hard earned $$$ The bank wants the intrest on the loan AND they want to sell YOUR present trailer for you AT A FEE. Therefore lightening OUR load. All the while we go down the road at less $$$ per mile and PREPAID.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
The dealer wants our hard earned $$$ The bank wants the intrest on the loan AND they want to sell YOUR present trailer for you AT A FEE. Therefore lightening OUR load. All the while we go down the road at less $$$ per mile and PREPAID.
In other words <strike>my continuing to have a fiberglass trailer will result in the future economic collapse of America</strike> I'm one of the brave people who'se helping these people seek out a new and more ethical form of employment.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Just got the February copy of Highways. On the bottom half of page 54 is a picture of a 13' fiberglass trailer with the caption, "Need something a little bigger?"
Bigger is not always better!
Back in the early 70s I had a 24' boat all rigged for off shore fishing. I kept it in a slip at Dana Point Cal.
On weekends we would criuse up to Newport Beach Harbor because there were quite a few resturants and bars with guest slips. We would always see the same big yatchs sitting in their slips with their owners sitting on the after deck with their drinks in hand.
Mine was not the fanciest, biggest or best looking boat in the Harbor but I could afford to use it when I wanted to.
You can have the big monthly payment, and the big fuel bill. I love my little Toyota Tacoma and my older paid for 13' Scamp. I can afford to go camping and fishing when I want to , not when the monthly payment allows it.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:24 PM   #18

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I went to the boat and RV show here in Chicago last week.
I laughed a lot. All behemoths only 2 smaller trailers (similar to my Burro but stick built.)

I think my current favorite is the huge Swat looking truck rv. I kept looking for the gun lockers. 80 gallon diesel tank to fill. Ouch!
I still marvel that people would want to drag those monsters around.

I am also jealous of our new Italian freinds, what a beautiful trailer they have. The europeans sure have us beat for campers.

Oh yes the boats, heh heh heh. I didn't see the boat I could afford.
It would say Craftsman on the side and have oars.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:43 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Don't be insulted -- Just laugh on the way to the bank to deposit what you saved by having a tiny trailer -- And enjoy your stays in the rustic CGs that are not open to the Bulgemobiles because of site size, sharp turns, overhanging trees, and so on
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:29 PM   #20

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
For some insidious reason, I have always thought to myself that a souped-up Gremlin might be a perfect FGRV tow vehicle.

Loren

Quote:
I think I'm at a bit of a disadvantage here, since I haven't seen the magazine and would not even know exactly which one to look for at the store. Is this Highways Magazine, from the Good Sam Club? If so, the online version is for members only, and I assume the printed version only goes to members.

I used to drive an AMC Gremlin, and was familiar with the "where's the rest of your car" jokes. In that case, the car was just the cheapest thing one could get with wheels (and worth almost every penny...), but our deliberately small trailers are another matter entirely. Like most of us, I could buy a much bigger trailer, and no one is going to make me feel inferior because I didn't.

I think my Boler - like me - is old enough to have the maturity to let the insult roll right off.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote