I Will Always Miss Our Oliver Elite II - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Go here: Posting Photos - Escape Trailer Owners Community
for step by step pictorial instructions.
Instructions are the same for this forum.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II 23' 6"
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
My hubby snores. Now, in fairness, so do I, but I believe only when I fall asleep against the reading pillow. Hubby can snore all night. While our Silver Cloud has single beds, he reports that it has a good-sized sleeping couch in the living room, so if he is "raising the roof" (hope no leaks!), I can retreat there.
I am having an h*** of a time uploading images here, so sorry. I think that the forum is either Windows-centric or needs to upgrade software. I use a Mac. And, the trailer is no longer featured on the rvoutletonline site, so I can't add a link. Oops, that is because it is purchased, us.

We will have the Silver Cloud at the Bardstown Bourbon rally, since we are rally leaders there. My ancestor had a still that became part of Jim Beam, and we are Maker's Mark ambassadors, so we visited there last summer and decided it was a great place for a rally.

CindyL
Hi Cindy ... I can honestly say I am a quite sleeper, with my wife just the opposite . Another reason were a match(opposites attract)
except during the time I am reminding her she is keeping me awake. ... what I put up with for Love
John Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #23

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Glenn, I teach technology at a university, but thank you for the link. I used to have no problem uploading images here, but I think that my upgrade to the latest Mac system software might be the problem, that it is not happily compatible with this forum software.

Wonderful comment, John. I love Airstreams. I hope you are happy with your camper. At least, if your Airstream and my new Bigfoot were driving down the same Interstate together, people would notice yours, not mine. Our new Silver Cloud may be fiberglass, but its size has now removed it from the "cute" category to a category of special to folks in the fiberglass world. I bet we don't have people offering to buy our camper anymore, unless they are members here .

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:43 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm on a MacBook Air with OS X El Capitan 10.11.2 and I have no issues posting photos.
Attached Thumbnails
charly fire.jpg  
Old 01-21-2016, 07:31 PM   #25

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Yes, the previous attention was from people not into fiberglass. You will get plenty of attention now from those in the know in the fiberglass world with a Bigfoot being one of the very best. We'll notice you, Cindy!

[QUOTE=CindyL;567823

At least, if your Airstream and my new Bigfoot were driving down the same Interstate together, people would notice yours, not mine. Our new Silver Cloud may be fiberglass, but its size has now removed it from the "cute" category to a category of special to folks in the fiberglass world. I bet we don't have people offering to buy our camper anymore, unless they are members here .

CindyL[/QUOTE]
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:23 PM   #26

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Anyone is welcome to flag us down to look. It would not be the first time .

Cindy
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #27

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
We'll show you our Escape when you pass through if you show us your Bigfoot!

By the way, I think the Escape owners may have spent a good amount of time in Bigfoots. They are each other's competition in the same area.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:57 PM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
I bet we don't have people offering to buy our camper anymore, unless they are members here .

CindyL
There's only TWO fiberglass rigs that I would WILLINGLY sell Ten Forward to buy. One of them is the Silver Cloud! The other is a Scamp Moho Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum.

Lucky dogs you!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:41 PM   #29
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Wow, Cindy! I can hardly believe my eyes: you bought a BIG trailer! Welcome to the club: we're in a 21 ft. Escape now, and it's an adjustment. Beautiful, but no longer cute... Nor cozy... Yet its versatility is a relief. Looking forward to hearing more about your Silver Cloud!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #30

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi John,

I really appreciate your post. Laura and I just bought a new to us '05 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe in November. As soon to be empty nesters, we hope to use it until my retirement in 9.5 years. I wonder if we will go with a larger camper when I retire. I love the Oliver 23.5, the Bigfoot 21, and I dig the floorplan of the Escape 21'. Plus, my brother-in-law is a huge Airstream fan. He just restored an Avion 31'. Also, I only live 2.5 hours from the Oliver plant. Plenty of time to think about the future. In the meantime, we love our Casita.

Thanks for your post and reflections!

Dean
Old 01-22-2016, 08:54 AM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I hear ya Dean.... since I'm only 30 MIN from OLIVER!! I drove to Backus to pick up my 13' Scamp with Oliver 30 min away. Well it was 1200 miles or $30,000 more dollars...but a larger camper of course- THAT I could not pull without another "TOW"....minimum of yet ANOTHER $30K.... So yeah, for $60,000 I guess I'd drive to Backus again....HA

With that said, JOHN COLE, I've enjoyed this thread. Dont think in over 7 yr I've been on FGRV forums/groups, I've seen a direct comparison and discussion between FG's and AirStreams. So it has been interesting. Thanks for bringing it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Hi John,

I really appreciate your post. Laura and I just bought a new to us '05 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe in November. As soon to be empty nesters, we hope to use it until my retirement in 9.5 years. I wonder if we will go with a larger camper when I retire. I love the Oliver 23.5, the Bigfoot 21, and I dig the floorplan of the Escape 21'. Plus, my brother-in-law is a huge Airstream fan. He just restored an Avion 31'. Also, I only live 2.5 hours from the Oliver plant. Plenty of time to think about the future. In the meantime, we love our Casita.

Thanks for your post and reflections!

Dean
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:31 AM   #32

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
Loved that Norm! I agree with you and I love your love for each other. My love for my hubby is hard since he isn't a camper, but in the end we travel w/o the trailer together and he lets me camp with the kids w/o him (maybe I snore and that gives him time away from mine.....hmmmmm) I love the quiet, the disconnect to the PC I see all week long (and type on to talk with all of you!) I think camping should be about the get away, close or far I'm being picky about a camper but that is because I don't want to get it wrong a 2nd time lol .....I'm hoping that in about 8 years my hubby will join me w/o the kids (off to college) and the FB trailer will be still running strong and in great shape
Old 01-22-2016, 10:30 AM   #33

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
My wife and I are relatively new to the "sport" of towing a TT, having been out six times, total. The last time we towed the TT about 4,000 miles. In other words, not a lot of experience. At this point the Casita is feeling very confining, although my wife seems to be OK with it. I am looking for alternatives.

We looked at AS before we went with the Casita. Oliver was in the early stages of production, and I did not know about it. Big foot and Escape are possibilities, but prefer something with more dealerships, and made in the USA.

We move around a lot when we travel and spend at most 4 or five days in on spot. we prefer mountain travel. In other words, the aerodynamics of the Casita and AS is very appealing. I really like the floor plan of the AS 22fb.

We have run into hail on two of those six trips. One time we had a brand new AS triple axle pull in next to us, for one night, and was gone early the next morning. He said he was going home and trying to outrun a hail storm, which turned out to have nickle + size hail. It did nothing to our Casita.

If you don't mind my asking, what will you be towing it with and will you be doing any mountain traveling?

What are your thoughts regarding hail?

I realize this is a FB forum, but I hope you will post here and let us know how you are doing from time to time.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:21 PM   #34

Kentucky
Registry
Hey,

Hi Darral! I am excited to be at the front end of our RV travels with our new to us Casita. A Scamp 13' and 16' were also on our lists. We hope to use the Casita for years, but I reflect about what retirement might bring (more of our Casita or larger rig like an Oliver, Big Foot, or Escape or an Airstream or a restored Avion, etc.). One of these days, Laura and I will take a day to tour the Oliver plant for the fun of it. Laura LOVES the interiors of the Olivers. I know some find them a little "sterile", but Laura is a fan.

Crystal, looking forward to hearing about the egg you land on!

Henry, you are ahead of us in terms of the sport to towing. I appreciate your comment about your Casita and hail. Yikes, something to think about.

Take care,

Dean
Old 01-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #35

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole View Post
Since I reluctantly sold our 2015 Oliver Elite II last fall, I have regretted it everyday since it left the driveway... I got the blessing to purchase a new 2016 Airstream Sport Bambi 22FB(frontbed) this past week but only after she saw that the bathroom/shower area was twice the size of the Oliver with having a seating/eating area for four instead of two.
John, I can empathize with your dilemma. Probably more than just about any other member here... the first fiberglass trailer I had was a '76 Scamp 13 in 1980. Since then I've had over a dozen of them (usually serially) including a Bigfoot 17 and Bigfoot 25 (my last trailer... just sold the 25 last summer after 9 years with it.) From 1987 through 2007, I had a half-dozen Airstreams from the original '61 Bambi 16' through the '94 tri-axle 34' with two doors. I also had a 325 motorhome and a B-190 moho. My current RV is a 32' Born Free moho on a Kodiak chassis; my second Born Free moho.

Each time I bought intending to keep it "forever" and either someone came along and made me an offer I couldn't refuse, or I found another that was just a little closer to what I thought I wanted.

My assessment over all those years? It's all good. I've had a TON of fun in every one of those trailers and mohos. I've met amazing people, gone wonderful places and done amazing things... all in the comfort of my own "home."

The 32' moho I have now probably fits our lifestyle and traveling needs better than any other RV we've ever owned. It's still not 'perfect' but it's close enough that I don't feel the need to look at anything else. We had the Bigfoot 25 for nine years, and this particular motorhome with this particular layout is the only coach I'd have traded it for. Since there were only 16 of these coaches built in total, I was pretty lucky to find one at all, much less one I could actually afford.

The bottom line is that you'll make whatever you have work. As long as "Momma" is happy, EVERYONE is happy and that's all that counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
John, we wish you well. Please join the AirForum. Same kind folks over there as here.
And I second Donna's advice. Great folks, and lots of friends there still. I still regularly attend one of the annual AirForums rallies; lots of old friends still go... and they tolerate having me and my SOB ("Some Other Brand") in the campground with them.

Good luck with your new coach!
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:37 AM   #36

Kentucky
Registry
Roger,

I spent some time about a year ago researching B+ Motorhomes. Born Frees are amazing rigs. Very nice!!!

Dean
Old 01-23-2016, 07:54 AM   #37

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Roger,

I spent some time about a year ago researching B+ Motorhomes. Born Frees are amazing rigs. Very nice!!!

Dean
Thanks Dean. Yes, they're pretty darn nice. Mine is actually a super-C on the Kodiak chassis, but what they all have in common is a three-bar roll cage in the coach itself. I only live a couple of hundred miles from the factory, and I don't think its possible to get better service than what's offered at the factory. It was a really good decision for us... on a beautiful coach.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #38

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Sadly, I'll soon be posting my Oliver Legacy Elite II for sale. I simply need a larger trailer for full time living at my jobsites. Last week I purchased an Arctic Fox 24J and will take delivery next week. Built in Oregon, they have an excellent quality reputation as well as built for cold weather service.

For those that remember, I did a video on my Oliver. If you know of someone who wants one, and doesn't want to wait for a new build (or the new price), have them PM me.

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #39

Kentucky
Registry
Hi Roger,

My bad. You mentioned the Kodiak chassis in a previous post. I have watched You Tube videos from Born Free about it. WOW, Super-C Nice!!!

Take care,

Dean
Old 01-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #40

Kentucky
Registry
Hi Ron,

I watched your video months ago. Great job. I am sure you will have no problem selling it. Wishing you the best in your new rig.

Take care,

Dean

Tags
oliver